Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    That particular one stuck in my memory because he really was a local entrepreneur and didn't miss a trick. Sadly my internet isn't good enough to watch programmes online, but I think he took them for their evening meal to one of his own places etc. and he may have been the guy who took them on a tram ride, pointing out other development plans that he had as they rode along.

We all remember different personalities for different reasons I think, such as the mint station couple and Butterfly Dave for example, versus the more err controversial characters ;)

Cheers BG will go and have a look.

The Wihittington & Cat. :eek:
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    The Wihittington & Cat. :eek:

But look at it now! :eek:
    http://www.thewhittingtonandcat.co.uk/wc_accommodation.htm

Piece from the local paper
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »

I dont remember this place but it looks lovely on their website
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont remember this place but it looks lovely on their website

You don't remember this place! :eek:

2 women.
    The guests were left alone in the pub/accomm.
    Breakfast was help yourself from what's in the fridge, including the brown bananas! :eek::D

I forget most of the B&Bers but the breakfast at the W&C was unforgettable!

I followed your link and it looks much nicer now. I wonder if it's under new ownership? Only thing is and it might just be me but the prices are confusing: pppn or room pn and is breakast included & improved? :confused::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't remember this place! :eek:

2 women.
    The guests were left alone in the pub/accomm.
    Breakfast was help yourself from what's in the fridge, including the brown bananas in the bowl! :eek::D

I forget most of the B&Bers but the breakfast at the W&C was unforgettable!

I followed your link and it looks much nicer now. I wonder if it's under new ownership? Only thing is and it might just be me but the prices are confusing: pppn or room pn and is breakast included & improved? :confused::D
    Oh was this the one with the fridge on the landing?

My memory is terrible nowadays
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh was this the one with the fridge on the landing?

My memory is terrible nowadays

Yes it is. Mine too but I remember this place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is. Mine too but I remember this place.

I'm not so good with the names of the B&B's, but say "fridge on the landing" and I know which one you mean!! LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so good with the names of the B&B's, but say "fridge on the landing" and I know which one you mean!! LOL

Fridge on the landing woman!

Or brown banana woman!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw that someone posted that Kristen has her place up for sale. Google her.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I noticed on their website that the check in time is between 5.30 pm and 8.00pm at Pitlassie and the latest check out time is 10.00am. Isn't that a very late check in time? What if I'd arrived exhausted from the trip and wanted to freshen up before visiting the town, or needed the room in the afternoon to do some paperwork before a meeting the next day? I've stayed in far more hotels than I can remember, but I think 3.30 pm is the latest check in time I've experienced. It's usually round about 2.00 pm, but maybe it's different for guest houses?
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look at Pitlessie House on Trip Advisor.

All I can say is :eek::eek::eek: to Kristin's answers to the people who did not enjoy their stay there.

Nearly all the comments made by the unhappy customers rang true having watched her all this week.

I wonder what makes her think that she is suited to a career involving hospitality :confused:.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    I wonder what makes her think that she is suited to a career involving hospitality :confused:.

Err Cabinet, weren't you listening? 35 years of experience :D

This is a link to where we were discussing next week's repeats when they were first shown
    Link
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I noticed on their website that the check in time is between 5.30 pm and 8.00pm at Pitlassie and the latest check out time is 10.00am. Isn't that a very late check in time? What if I'd arrived exhausted from the trip and wanted to freshen up before visiting the town, or needed the room in the afternoon to do some paperwork before a meeting the next day? I've stayed in far more hotels than I can remember, but I think 3.30 pm is the latest check in time I've experienced. It's usually round about 2.00 pm, but maybe it's different for guest houses?

Now that's raised a question I wanted to ask. What if someone is staying more than one night? Do they have to vacate B&B premises between check-out and check-in time?

All I can say is :eek::eek::eek: to Kristin's answers to the people who did not enjoy their stay there.

Nearly all the comments made by the unhappy customers rang true having watched her all this week.

I looked too before the prog was on. The TA comments were reflected in the prog.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    That to me would be hotel service.

Latest check out 10 a.m so 10.15 ish after taking payment, then guests arrive at 2pm.
    Doesn't leave much time to strip beds, clean the place, shop for supplies and do whatever she needs for herself. Remember as well that she may have to wait up for guests to return from the pub, I've read they can't be trusted to let themselves in because half the time they leave the door unlocked.

So late to bed and up early the next day, if business people are staying, they want early breakfast. It must be so tough and constricting to do that on your own.
    To my mind people expect too much from a true B&B which is a room in someone's home, but saying that they often charge too much.

I don't know what happens when guests stay for more than one night. Do you leave them so then can wander around your kitchen etc?
    No, it's definitely a two person job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    :D:D I have to be careful how I word this.

I live in a corner of Mallorca once described by an English journalist as a hornets' nest of Germans. In the tourist season it is but only because they outnumber us and take-over. BUT one thing I know is that they're pigs at the trough when it's free food or all you can eat. Mainly the men. I've never been elbowed out of the way before in a supermarket.

I'd rather be here though than in Magalluf with the worst of theEnglish.

At least here I don't understand if their cafe conversation is inane. :D:p

Lucky you, living in Mallorca. I've only been there once and that was few years ago for a winter break so it was fairly quiet (and very beautiful). I noticed the German influence straightaway as we were the only English people in our hotel! They were all friendly, however. and mostly very elderly, so we had the pool all to ourselves. I have experienced the supermarket elbow technique, but in Germany, not Mallorca. But every country has a "rich mix" of behaviour!
    Forum Member
    I saw that someone posted that Kristen has her place up for sale. Google her.

I wonder if FIAB was the last fling of the dice for Kristin to keep her house, which she clearly adores but hasn't owned all that long.

Google throws up much info, including extensive legal action concerning a parking restriction involving another property on the same plot, which disliked the idea of a B&B. It all sounds an expensive nightmare and hugely stressful.

On the Pitlessie website (http://www.pitlessiehouse.com/portfolio.html) there's a photo of Kristin and her staff from the hotel she owned before Pitlessie. There appear to be eight employees. No wonder she finds it hard going, if she's gone from manager to jack-of-all-trades.

Strange week, and not a relaxing one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Bellamy wrote: »
    I wonder if FIAB was the last fling of the dice for Kristin to keep her house, which she clearly adores but hasn't owned all that long.

Google throws up much info, including extensive legal action concerning a parking restriction involving another property on the same plot, which disliked the idea of a B&B. It all sounds an expensive nightmare and hugely stressful.

On the Pitlessie website (http://www.pitlessiehouse.com/portfolio.html) there's a photo of Kristin and her staff from the hotel she owned before Pitlessie. There appear to be eight employees. No wonder she finds it hard going, if she's gone from manager to jack-of-all-trades.

She's also wearing the same Chanel-type suit she wore in FIAB. The pic is from 2005 at the latest according to the caption. I think there's a very sad story of Kristin struggling somewhat in there somewhere. It's a shame, as I far preferred her and her establishment to the awful Penicuik couple
    Forum Member
    She's also wearing the same Chanel-type suit she wore in FIAB. The pic is from 2005 at the latest according to the caption. I think there's a very sad story of Kristin struggling somewhat in there somewhere. It's a shame, as I far preferred her and her establishment to the awful Penicuik couple

That's increasingly the impression I get. She seems to have been struggling against the odds for a few years, hoping to turn a corner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had a good old chuckle at her replies ( and Ian's too) Bothof them haven't a clue how to respond to online criticisms. They should take a leaf out of the bloke 2 weeks ago who replied very diplomatically to the rampaging kids. I was totally on his side and would definitely stay there.

I honestly don't think, even watching herself this week, that it would ever occur to Kristin that she was anything less than the world's best hospitality chief. Self doubt or objectivity isn't in her repertoire. :p I'd love to know if she put PitlessiefabulouslistedhouseclosetoStAndrews on the market because she couldn't make it pay.

Karma's a bitch. But then again, without her, the week would have been awful, and she wasn't backstabbing unlike manky fur Eileen and whatever the daughter's name was. :)
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember seeing mention of it in this thread though it is on the FIAB FB page, but Glenferndale is also up for sale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    That's increasingly the impression I get. She seems to have been struggling against the odds for a few years, hoping to turn a corner.

Yeah its a shame, I thought she came across on FIAB as bloody marvellous!
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read thre reviews on TA and it seems Kristen either takes to her guests or doesn't, mind she does appear to favour those who book the best room.
    Some of the guest reviews are strange though, like the one who must have requested more tomato and mushrooms or the woman who returned home on her second day because she couldn't get in. How did she remove her stuff? The people returning at 2am, all those and more need a hotel, not someone's home .
    More than one reviewer pointed out is how she gossips about other guests, which is definitely out of order.
    I couldn't be bothered with B&Bs and the vagaries of my host, I'd opt for a decent hotel anyday, in this Country at least.
  • David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    If you are on the next series of Four in a Bed, please please please - CLEAN THE ROOMS!
    You dont have to clean the whole house - just 3 rooms. Check the mattress for stains, check for dust, check hairs on the sheets and the shower. Clean the bog brush. Check for cobwebs. Easy but so many dont seem to remember to do this.
    Oh - and be nice! Even if your B&B isnt the best, if you act nice then people will come to you. If you are a bitch then people wont want to visit you.
    Dont forget - its a free ad for your B&B 5 times a week on CH4. Dont blow the opportunity!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was just reading it, as you said very stressful indeed.

I noticed the house has been on the market since April 2011 and the price has been dropped by £85,000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    I can't remember seeing mention of it in this thread though it is on the FIAB FB page, but Glenferndale is also up for sale.

Oh..wonder why?!
This discussion has been closed.