Doctor Who - Season 8

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly, Doctor Who wasn't the first show to change it's lead cast mid-season. ;) It's a loose point.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    So you didn't see Oswin in AOTD, then? And the fact that the Christmas special is part of the main continuity of the series for the first time was made abundantly clear, along with the references, and flashbacks to the first part of series 7.

All of this is moot, anyway. Whatever you wish to call it, it would be wrong unless you call it series 7. This is the production code for it, so that is actually what it is.

That was definitely a flash of inspiration from Moffat to have Oswin in the first episode and introduced proper in the Christmas special. Despite calling it all series 7 it is hard to actually think of it all as one series. But those things help paper over the cracks.

I'm not terribly fond of Moffat's love of companions being weird or special before the Doctor meets them (ie the tardis-conceived daughter of future companions and actually already his wife etc). But it will be interesting to see how this one pans out. I hope it's not quite as tricksy as the Amy/River thing turned out. But that's just my personal taste in these things.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Amazingly, Doctor Who wasn't the first show to change it's lead cast mid-season. ;) It's a loose point.

I wonder how many have changed lead characters, story arc, theme arrangement, credit graphics, the main set design and had a six month break mid season?

The actual label given to the group of episodes isn't important. But it is a bit funny thinking about it as all one season.
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    ....I can't see the anniversary special being any longer than an hour...
    Am I wide of the mark?

It seems this bit of your guess was good after all. Sixty minutes for the special. The previous reporting I saw seems to have confused the special (60 minute episode of Doctor Who) with the docudrama (90 minute drama about Doctor Who).

But sadly no mention of when series 8 will go into production.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I wonder how many have changed lead characters, story arc, theme arrangement, credit graphics, the main set design and had a six month break mid season?

The actual label given to the group of episodes isn't important. But it is a bit funny thinking about it as all one season.

"Maverick" didn't even have the same lead every week!
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    "Maverick" didn't even have the same lead every week!

Hope that's not prophetic! The original introduction of two leads taking turns to star in episodes was because it took too long to film the show with a single lead character in all the main scenes. But the subsequent sudden changes went hand in hand with increasing production problems, sliding ratings and cancellation.

Luckily Doctor Who (judging by the quality of the last six episodes) is going strong.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just happy we're actually getting it. And if someone says something like 'RTD wouldn't have let this happen' he isn't the boss of BBC neither is Moffat. I really don't think Moffat is to blame for less Doctor Who and if you think so, I'd like to see you run the show. Could you really do a better job?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be patronising. I'm just really excited for this year and the majority of people seem to be pessimistic about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i am so excited to be a part of Doctor WHo history this year! I cannot believe it...this will be an event to be told in year to come we are to be a part of :cool:

Series 7 is all set to be the best yet...the 6 episodes thus far are PERFECT! and the 8 coming up seem like its all out! Cannot wait.

We have so many side projects happening outside of the show...and the actual Special itself to be aired...regardless of 60mins or 90 mins or whatever...we are getting it and its going to be the biggest TV event of the year! And i cannot wait to see what the Beeb do!

And then of course we will have CLassic Who re-runs, the stamps, oodles of exquisite merchandise from IMO my favourite era of the show, and reflective of the shows history too...sublime! Series 8 news will happen, just not yet...way too much for 2013 to handle :cool:
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I'm just happy we're actually getting it. And if someone says something like 'RTD wouldn't have let this happen' he isn't the boss of BBC neither is Moffat. I really don't think Moffat is to blame for less Doctor Who and if you think so, I'd like to see you run the show. Could you really do a better job?

I'm not a fan of Moffatt at all, but I certainly don't blame him for what's happening to Doctor Who's scheduling. I know that he loves Who and is probably fighting the good fight behind the scenes. It just infuriates me the way the BBC is messing about with one of its most popular and successful shows. Can you imagine the outcry if it started treating Eastenders in the same way?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 7 returns March 30th (Easter Weekend!) on BBC One.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be patronising. I'm just really excited for this year and the majority of people seem to be pessimistic about it.

We're not being pessimistic, we're being realistic.

The trouble is we were all excited about the 50th year, the celebrations, an anniversary special etc... But then the truth dawned, the BBC were saving money, they cut the series down, they lied, they lied again, they lied some more. Now we are expected to believe that a 60 minute special can do a 50th celebration justice. It's gone from a celebration year to another year of cutbacks. I mean, does anyone really think that the best way to celebrate a show is to have less of it (oh and then try to convince everyone that less is more)?
    Forum Member
    I'm happy in the sense that we appear to be getting exactly what I thought we'd be getting. Anything else will be a bonus. Well, I must admit I was hoping for the special to be 90 minutes or spread over more than one evening, but anything that's quality will be fine.

There is still the matter of the various hints that they aren't telling us everything and will reveal something that will make us smile. I'd be delighted if there is something in the way of new episodes that is over and above the nine or ten we know about. But I'm not holding out much hope for the type of thing some other forum members have been crossing fingers for.

I don't like it when people are rude about Moffat. As far as I can tell all he has done is be a bit crap at PR statements. Which isn't a crime. He's just not that good at it. I wish the BBC had managed the last couple of years better.

But series 7b sounds fantastic, I bet the special will be delightful and the Gatiss thing will be great fun.

And if series 8 is shown this year I will be very happy to eat some humble pie.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    We're not being pessimistic, we're being realistic.

The trouble is we were all excited about the 50th year, the celebrations, an anniversary special etc... But then the truth dawned, the BBC were saving money, they cut the series down, they lied, they lied again, they lied some more. Now we are expected to believe that a 60 minute special can do a 50th celebration justice. It's gone from a celebration year to another year of cutbacks. I mean, does anyone really think that the best way to celebrate a show is to have less of it (oh and then try to convince everyone that less is more)?

I know but what if we didn't get any Doctor Who this year? If I was looking at it negatively, I wouldn't look forward to it and that would ruin it for me. I actually think that 60 minutes might be enough, I would prefer it to be longer but that's what we've got. Anyway I'm sure that if it was longer there would be people who would say it dragged on to long. But if we have a Eleven Doctors episode it's rumoured, 60 mins won't be enough.

And with the Christmas special not being confirmed, and I hope this isn't what will happen, the special could be a two parter with part two airing at Christmas.
  • DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I just happen to be sorry that for all what has been said and done, the actual truth of the matter is that the BBC has once again shabbily treated one of the best money making programmes that it has and in the 50th year to boot.

Like someone has mentioned this above, they wouldn't do this to Eastenders, but shamefully for the BBC, it isn't the first time that they've treated Doctor Who this way.

Maybe, just maybe the productions costs are a tad high, so surely the eggheads at the Beeb can get together and come up with alternative measures of producing the show without a drop in production values.

BUT, going on the basis of the actual information available, people WILL be disappointed that for a 50th anniversary year (which lets face it - is extremely rare) the BBC have allowed details to be released which will show them in a bad light and show that they care not one jot for Doctor Who other than the bare minimum.

To date, season 7.2 to start in March. A 60 minute episode in November (obviously for the actual anniversary) and no confirmation of a christmas episode or news of Season 8. That alone sends out volumes of their attitude.

Sure there will be documentaries, but whilst it will be good to see, it's the actual programme I want to watch and we've been duped out of a season.

Way to go Beeb - Same licence fee - less content. Bah humbug!!
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're not announcing a Christmas Special because there might be a regeneration on the 50th and the BBC want to keep it quiet a little bit longer. Remember i thing the 50th episode will be filming in april so all the planning is with that episode not the Christmas Special yet.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're not announcing a Christmas Special because there might be a regeneration on the 50th and the BBC want to keep it quiet a little bit longer. Remember i thing the 50th episode will be filming in april so all the planning is with that episode not the Christmas Special yet.

If they did start Series 8 with the anniversary (which I still think is likely), It would make sense that the Christmas special hasn't been announced yet because there would be episodes falling inbetween that and the anniversary.

May (end of S7) is when I expect we'll get a more detailed announcement of whats to come for the next 12 months.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Ok so just a theory but taking eccleston out of the equasion, rtd & david Tennant did three series together and the specials and left at the same time.

The moff and matt smith, by the time series 7b airs will have done three series with the 50th aniversary special looming.

I think we will see the fall of the 11th and clara's story come to an end in this years Xmas special with the doctor regenerating into the 12th doctor, with a new producer launching series 8 next march.

I could be wrong but with what we aren't hearing about series 8 unless there being amazingly clever & secretive, its a plausable answer what do you guys think?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok so just a theory but taking eccleston out of the equasion, rtd & david Tennant did three series together and the specials and left at the same time.

The moff and matt smith, by the time series 7b airs will have done three series with the 50th aniversary special looming.

I think we will see the fall of the 11th and clara's story come to an end in this years Xmas special with the doctor regenerating into the 12th doctor, with a new producer launching series 8 next march.

I could be wrong but with what we aren't hearing about series 8 unless there being amazingly clever & secretive, its a plausable answer what do you guys think?

If Moffat and Smith are leaving this year I doubt we would see a Series 8 till Autumn 2014 at the earliest.

For a new show runner to get Series 8 up and running by March 2014 they would pretty much have to be writing scripts and auditioning Doctors at the moment to start filming in July/August.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    An interesting point of view here.

The article also points out that season 8 should begin this autumn, and all we're getting is a 60 minute anniversary special.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone confirm 100% (or 95% will do) that there's going to be a season 8 and it hasn't been scrapped? Someone on Google+ says it has but they won't post a reliable link. :confused:
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone confirm 100% (or 95% will do) that there's going to be a season 8 and it hasn't been scrapped? Someone on Google+ says it has but they won't post a reliable link. :confused:
    There's been nothing official or even unoffical posted or printed anywhere saying the show is getting scrapped.*

*Apart from possibly some idiots on Facebook etc who think the fact that no Series 8 was mentioned in the list of 2013 Who stuff means no Series 8 at all.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

My theory as to why the Christmas special hasn't been announced yet is because the Christmas specials are always commissioned with a series (except for the year of specials). At the moment the BBC don't seem to want to say anything about series 8 and several forums would probably go into meltdown if the BBC announced the Christmas special without any news of series 8 to go with it.
    Forum Member

I can 95% guarantee that no one knows anything. I would think (hope) that series 8 will get made but when it is produced and aired is anyone's guess.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    An interesting point of view here.

The article also points out that season 8 should begin this autumn, and all we're getting is a 60 minute anniversary special.

If that article is anything to go by then it seems like the overhyping is going to backfire on the beeb. I really hope that they have some nice secrets up their sleeve.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's been nothing official or even unoffical posted or printed anywhere saying the show is getting scrapped.*

*Apart from possibly some idiots on Facebook etc who think the fact that no Series 8 was mentioned in the list of 2013 Who stuff means no Series 8 at all.
    I thought so, comparing it to all the newspaper articles and things we had about Merlin, I'm not seeing anything like that so far. :)
    I'm just checking because I'm trying to convince some people on one of my groups, but it's difficult to confirm a negative to a bunch of hormonal 13-year-olds who don't know the practical reasons for changing programmes or not and probably use the moan-fest that is Tumblr. :o:D