Pothuthics Gameshow Marathon

Comments

• IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, there was this magical thing called ‘the magic of the cup’. It’s been fading for years. And the FA’s decision to hold the FA semi finals at Wembley is the pinacle of this.

Wembley is synonymous with the FA Cup Final - supposedly the event of the season, but holding the semi finals in Wembley has completely undermined the value of the FA Cup Final. For fans who get to the FA cup final, the sparkle of the visiting this venue is lost, because the chances are they’ve already visited this venue in the previous round of the cup. The FA Cup is an event, and visiting Wembley for the final should also be one.

And that’s before you even get onto the cost issues for fans. Football isn’t a cheap sport to watch anymore, and trips to Wembley don’t come cheap with some tickets for the final costing over £100. For those fans that struggle to meet the cost of a season ticket, two trips to Wembley, and the costs that are entailed in the ticket and travel, is a task to meet, and fans shouldn’t be put in the position where they’re priced out of supporting their team.

It could be argued that semi-finals are an event, and Wembley is a fitting stadium for such an event, but the old system, where a neutral club stadium was chosen, never seemed to be an underwhelming experience for fans. In fact, fans of teams who made the final, were treated to two completely different days out, ‘events’ even, and the losing semi-finalists could still experience this ‘event’ without a trip to Wembley. Wembley is reward for the hard work it takes to get the final, and holding the semi-finals there, undermines this.

Rather than being being the home to the final of the biggest cup of English sport, Wembley has instead become an opportunity for generating greater amounts of money for the FA, and is only serving to encourage the death of the magic of the cup.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    What's the worst part about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    What's the worst part about it?

The worst part? Probably the absolute ripping off of fans just to line the FA's pockets. :)
    Forum Member
    Sounds good, Aaron what do you hate so much about p.e teachers?
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not quite human, just sadistic creatures in a human form. Forcing you outside, telling us to stop complaining about the weather (despite them being allowed to wear MANY layers) They act in a way that no other teacher would, or would be allowed to, and i'm sure they think their whistle is magic and can solve anything! Bellowing, intimindating voices, and they hate anyone who isn't naturally talented at sports. I'm sure in every school there are rumors of the P.E teachers being a pervert, looking down shorts etc so we can't be too careful! So we must take precautions and put them into Room 101 immediatly!
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    smile371 wrote: »
    They're not quite human, just sadistic creatures in a human form. Forcing you outside, telling us to stop complaining about the weather (despite them being allowed to wear MANY layers) They act in a way that no other teacher would, or would be allowed to, and i'm sure they think their whistle is magic and can solve anything! Bellowing, intimindating voices, and they hate anyone who isn't naturally talented at sports. I'm sure in every school there are rumors of the P.E teachers being a pervert, looking down shorts etc so we can't be too careful! So we must take precautions and put them into Room 101 immediatly!

My P.E. teachers were really nice, so perhaps they're an exception. :p
    Forum Member
    I want a camp P.E Teacher tbh, Luke, your appeal please :)
    Forum Member
    Here's my appeal (not as good/persuasive as Izzie's, or as... emotionally-charged as Aaron's, though!)

Football is a game where you kick a ball into a goal, using your feet. (I'm such an expert, I know). But our friends over the pond decided once upon a time that the game would be called soccer, deriving from the term association football. And why is this? Because they already use the term football for a game in which the ball barely touches their feet, unless the name means that they use their feet (and if that's the case, then why isn't badminton called football?). It just confuses everything for everyone - if we're talking to an American about football, we'd have to clarify that we're talking about football as opposed to American football. If they'd just been nice and called their game rugby, then we wouldn't be in this kerfuffle! Simples. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My P.E. teachers were really nice, so perhaps they're an exception. :p

So were mine! My male P.E. teacher died after suffering from a brain tumour in our final year, and the whole school was genuinely gutted and organised fund raising events because he'd been so lovely, running after-schools clubs etc.
    Forum Member
    Is val online hehe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is val online hehe

She wasn't around to judge on Twistathon...
    Forum Member
    She's not :p I'll make the decision.

All three are very good, I hate them all!

But calling football soccer is the most annoying thing in this world.

So I'm putting people calling football soccer into room 101!
    Forum Member
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    So were mine! My male P.E. teacher died after suffering from a brain tumour in our final year, and the whole school was genuinely gutted and organised fund raising events because he'd been so lovely, running after-schools clubs etc.

Ah. :(

I remember we had a fairly old teacher in year 6 or 7 who disappeared at the end of the year (apparently he'd either died or being arrested on suspicion of rape - playground rumours, eh) and the next year they brought an influx on younger staff in (those were the nice ones).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Luke!

Gutted I didn't go for that now lol.
    Forum Member
    She's not :p I'll make the decision.

All three are very good, I hate them all!

But calling football soccer is the most annoying thing in this world.

So I'm putting people calling football soccer into room 101!

Victory dance. :D

(one down... four down to go!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah. :(

I remember we had a fairly old teacher in year 6 or 7 who disappeared at the end of the year (apparently he'd either died or being arrested on suspicion of rape - playground rumours, eh) and the next year they brought an influx on younger staff in (those were the nice ones).

See all ours were evil! Militaryally strict women or men with over inflated egos, although even though i was shockingly bad at PE they were always actually okay to me :p
    Forum Member
    Now for Xmas, Izzie, what's your choice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey.
    Forum Member
    smile371 wrote: »
    See all ours were evil! Militaryally strict women or men with over inflated egos, although even though i was shockingly bad at PE they were always actually okay to me :p

You didn't go to the same school as Matilda by any chance, did you?
    Forum Member
    Aaron, your choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't go to the same school as Matilda by any chance, did you?

I LOVE that film. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bah-humbugs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I LOVE that film. :D

... i've never actually seen Matilda :o