The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    You think wrong. I was just showing the other side of the argument without restorting to the hysterical rantings you do in so many threads.

Ah that old chestnut from my usual distractor... again proving my point you didnt come in to "discuss" it at all you just came to have another dig at me as can be seen from your posts marking everything i say and do (most of which is presented perfectly reasonably) with the tag of "hysertical ranting":rolleyes: as i said thanks for proving my point. V helpful.:rolleyes:
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Diana above got it right.

Have you not been in appreciation threads elsewhere on DS?

Not really. I don't tend to frequent them. :o

I tend not to join in ongoing threads except my club football thread. But there aren't enough Toon fans on DS. :D
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o

Here's St Theresa of Avila having an entering moment...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgd6T5OTvs
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    But what are you looking for? Angels with Harps, a magic glow that says "Job done"? Prayer answered?

Yes, that's right. If people who were being prayed for got better and people who were not being prayed for didn't, then we could say that prayer has a positive effect. It wouldn't tell us if there's a god listening and helping out, but it would be interesting all the same.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. I don't tend to frequent them. :o

I tend not to join in ongoing threads except my club football thread. But there aren't enough Toon fans on DS. :D

Here you go, nicked from an AT on the XF forum. These are the mods' rules about ATs, though they might be a bit strong for a religious AT. Might help you understand that posters are warned in the first place not to stir stuff up.

Hi,

Appreciation threads are solely designed to allow fans of particular things, such as particular contestants, to simply debate and discuss their chosen subject in a positive atmosphere - genuine "appreciation". They are not designed to be, and must not be treated as, exclusive clubs; they should simply be considered friendly places for fans to discuss things together. Should someone disrupt the flow of positive discussion with a negative comment please alert us to the problem so that we can move it to a more appropriate thread; do not treat another member in a disrespectful way.

People who treat other users disrespectfully, attempt to disrupt discussion, or even attempt to "tactically" alert, are not welcome here and will be banned.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Ah that old chestnut from my usual distractor... again proving my point you didnt come in to "discuss" it at all you just came to have another dig at me as can be seen from your posts marking everything i say and do (most of which is presented perfectly reasonably) with the tag of "hysertical ranting":rolleyes: as i said thanks for proving my point. V helpful.:rolleyes:

I didn't come in to have a dig at you at all. I came in to offer an argument to the one you put forward.

Unfortuantely I should have known better as you are impossible to have a conversation with as you simply end up throwing random accusations around.

I have acutally only ever answered a very few of your posts as this always happens. But I have seen how you respond to others who disagree with your point of view and it is always the same.

I have learnt my lesson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Yes, that's right. If people who were being prayed for got better and people who were not being prayed for didn't, then we could say that prayer has a positive effect. It wouldn't tell us if there's a god listening and helping out, but it would be interesting all the same.

But the people who are being prayed for and the people not being prayed for are part of the same group in said study.

There's not a lot of faith being involved here. And that's what it takes. Faith. I'd be less inclined to believe God would heal me unless I didn't have an ulterior motive such as trying to catch God out.

"Haha, Got you! Your prayers don't work"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Here you go, nicked from an AT on the XF forum. These are the mods' rules about ATs, though they might be a bit strong for a religious AT. Might help you understand that posters are warned in the first place not to stir stuff up.

Hi,

Appreciation threads are solely designed to allow fans of particular things, such as particular contestants, to simply debate and discuss their chosen subject in a positive atmosphere - genuine "appreciation". They are not designed to be, and must not be treated as, exclusive clubs; they should simply be considered friendly places for fans to discuss things together. Should someone disrupt the flow of positive discussion with a negative comment please alert us to the problem so that we can move it to a more appropriate thread; do not treat another member in a disrespectful way.

People who treat other users disrespectfully, attempt to disrupt discussion, or even attempt to "tactically" alert, are not welcome here and will be banned.

If this can work in a Christian/Religion thread, i'd very happily get involved. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishina wrote: »

:eek: Errrrr.......

Minister:"Finish it, Lord!"
    Young female congregant: "Eeeeee! Eeeee! Ah! Ah! Ah!"
    Minster: "and I would be grateful if people would sign the coffee rota in the foyer..."
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    But the people who are being prayed for and the people not being prayed for are part of the same group in said study.

There's not a lot of faith being involved here. And that's what it takes. Faith. I'd be less inclined to believe God would heal me unless I didn't have an ulterior motive such as trying to catch God out.

"Haha, Got you! Your prayers don't work"

What would be the point of that? :confused:

There were 3 groups - people who knew they were being prayed for, people who didn't know, and people who were not prayed for at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is with prayer, it just makes the person who is praying feel better. That is all there is to it for me. When I pray I feel a bit at peace. I feel a bit better. They might feel they are talking to God and some people might baulk at that, but if it assists the person praying... it surely has been positive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this can work in a Christian/Religion thread, i'd very happily get involved. :)

It might solve a problem without limiting discussion, so I'm for it.

One of you just needs to ask the mods, really.
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I pray to Dawkins that this thread is closed. :p
    now lettuce worship:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it would be quite interesting to observe a closed-off religious circle jerk. But I can understand how it'd be annoying not being able to point out the ridiculousness or fallaciousness of some of the things that would inevitably be said there.

I could say that about Big Brother Appreciation threads. I mean, I think it is the most ridiculous, pathetic programme to ever hit the screens. However if people like it, I have no desire to go in a thread just to knock them for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't my point, but oh well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't my point, but oh well.

Please explain what your point was, I apologise if I have misinterpreted it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I wish you all luck, but I fear this will end up with the anti's on here... a bit like the ghost thread ended up full of sceptics
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I got coerced into going to a Todd Bentley event, it was scary, i can't even laugh at the video i still find it upsetting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain what your point was, I apologise if I have misinterpreted it.
    That it'd be annoying not being able to point out the ridiculousness or fallaciousness of some of the things that would inevitably be said there.

Demonstrating the flaws of someone actual words, opinion or argument isn't necessarily the same thing as entering a discussion "just to knock people". In a free exchange of ideas, those ideas should be robust enough to withstand a little scrutiny and criticism. Religious propositions only tend to flourish when shielded from scrutiny and when criticism is taboo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That it'd be annoying not being able to point out the ridiculousness or fallaciousness of some of the things that would inevitably be said there.

Demonstrating the flaws of someone actual words, opinion or argument isn't necessarily the same thing as entering a discussion "just to knock people". In a free exchange of ideas, those ideas should be robust enough to withstand a little scrutiny and criticism. Religious propositions only tend to flourish when shielded from scrutiny and when criticism is taboo.

I'm fairly certain people in the X-Factor forum feel the same way about 1D, but they stick to the main forum for that type of discussion and leave the AT frequenters to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest I would not bother with a religion AT anyway as I like the debate element to it and I am pretty much on the fence faith wise.

I would like to see a thread where unconstructive, patronising posts are removed.... for the good of both sides and for the benefit of discussion.

You can disagree with someone without being rude and cocky. If an appreciation thread lead to open debate on a sensible, polite level.. I can only think that would be a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can disagree with someone without being rude and cocky. If an appreciation thread lead to open debate on a sensible, polite level.. I can only think that would be a good thing.
    Still, religious people typically attach much of their ego and identity to their religious ideas and dogma. It's often the case that fair appraisal and objective criticism of those religious ideas and dogma is seen as a direct personal attack on the core of their being, even when it isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could say that about Big Brother Appreciation threads. I mean, I think it is the most ridiculous, pathetic programme to ever hit the screens. However if people like it, I have no desire to go in a thread just to knock them for it.

As a BB uber-fan I can confirm that an AT is a safe space to express your star-struck love for a total stranger without some killjoy pointing out that it is a bit foolish. :o The main BB forum can be a seething cauldron of hate and abuse, and an appreciation thread is in the nature of a pit-stop where you can change your deflating tyre off the main track.