Horse Racing 2013

Comments

• alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another horrible incident at Wolverhampton, Desert Vision was heavily backed at 1/4 but went horribly wrong and unshipped Graham Gibbons.

I don't know whether its fatal but I have to say, it looked horrific.

I was looking forward to today's racing with the week off but I feel absolutely awful now if truth be told.

Off to Bangor on Friday if the card is decent and not littered with 3 and 4 horse races.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    Desert Vision's gone, looked like a very nasty leg injury. One of my favourite horses on the AW as well. Absolutely tragic, makes it three fatalities in one day. :(

Graham Gibbons got trampled on by Shane Kelly's horse so I hope he's okay.

I was rather looking forward to the return of Southwell tomorrow but after today my enthusiasm has waned considerably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed Dancc, it is not a good day to be a racing fan.

Graham Gibbons came away unscathed, though no doubt he's wrecked over the loss of a very good horse.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ardkilly Witness 4.05 Carlisle today, is worth a small investment.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    good luck with that Silvio............I've got the carlisle racing on tv so I'll watch with interest...............:)

should be decent odds, currently 13/2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at this one too, seems a well handicapped horse now he is back to 3 miles.

I imagine Knockara Beau with a good run could be entering the World Hurdle picture. Quite a competitive little race in store.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good program on radio 5 last night from 7 to 9.30
    Special on Tony mcCoy then a feature on the injured jockeys fund and the care it provides
    Worth catching up with on I-Player
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ardkilly Witness 4.05 Carlisle today, is worth a small investment.

Argh...............caught on the line by a McCoy driving finish..........:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was 30 years ago today that Shergar went missing.............

Here's the 1981 Derby.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhKYNWrIm6w
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an article here on it and Tommo's role in the negotiations with the IRA that never happened. Findus have denied any involvement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21316921
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    There is an article here on it and Tommo's role in the negotiations with the IRA that never happened. Findus have denied any involvement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21316921

Interesting article

This bit you couldn't make up:

The police ushered the group into the farmhouse, owned by a breeder and trainer of racehorses, Jeremy Maxwell. Over the course of the next eight hours Thompson took between 10 and 12 more phone calls, each beginning with a different password.

Thompson was trying to keep his interlocutor on the phone for more than 90 seconds, the length of time required for the police to discover the caller's location. The voice knew what Thompson was doing and was putting down the phone after 80 seconds, 85 seconds, never any longer.

Finally, at 01:00 in the morning, Thompson succeeded. A conversation lasted 95 seconds. He turned round to the policeman at his shoulder and said: "Did you get it? Where are they?" Only to be told, "I'm sorry Mr Thompson but the man who traces the calls went off-shift at midnight."

Doesn't seem 30 years ago
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top class days racing today on both sides of the Irish sea. Champions day at Newbury with the Denman chase and the Irish Henessy with Flemenstar and Sir De Champs in action.

Plenty of other good races as well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Top class days racing today on both sides of the Irish sea. Champions day at Newbury with the Denman chase and the Irish Henessy with Flemenstar and Sir De Champs in action.

Plenty of other good races as well :)

There's so much going on i can't sort out any bets..........my eyes are flicking from one race to another

I've put up Junior EW in the Denman chase in one of my comps, got 28/1 BOG, but not sure i want to back it with cash as The Giant Bolster could scupper it';s chances by taking it on for the lead

I think Flemenstar might win in Ireland but Sir de Champs would beat it at Cheltenham

The other big price one I fancy EW is Wingtips in the 2.15 at Leop - the grade one novice chase

But generally speaking i only bet if i've studied the races the night before............:o..............I'm a very careful gambler...........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naturally enough Junior finished 4th...................:mad:

Wingtips sneaks into a place

I'd have just about got my money back if I'd backed them but I hate betting EW................
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think that settles the Sir Des Champs/Flemenstar debate SDS wins in unfavourable conditions for him. Can't see anyway how Flemenstar could turn that result over at Cheltenham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the performance of My Tent Or Yours?!

About as comprehensive a handicap victory as you could hope to see. Looks almost certain to be a Champion Hurdle winner of the future for McCoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about the performance of My Tent Or Yours?!

About as comprehensive a handicap victory as you could hope to see. Looks almost certain to be a Champion Hurdle winner of the future for McCoy.

Very impressive but he's already been well beaten by Chatterbox who won again today............maybe he's the one !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just having a look through tomorrow's cards and there's a fascinating 5 runner maiden race at Souwell (4.20)

The Racing Post betting forecast has Kabbaas at 33/1 ON with the second favourite at 20/1

Don't think I've ever seen odds like that..............:eek:

I don't think there's any way on earth that a 2nd fave in a five runner race will go off at 20/1 given that you get 1/4 odds for two places EW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Very impressive but he's already been well beaten by Chatterbox who won again today............maybe he's the one !

Can easily see that result being reversed swing.

My tent or yours has destroyed a very good field and was a full 9 seconds quicker than Chatterbox. No doubt for me he is the novice hurdler to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can easily see that result being reversed swing.

My tent or yours has destroyed a very good field and was a full 9 seconds quicker than Chatterbox. No doubt for me he is the novice hurdler to watch.

Looks like an exciting crop of novice hurdlers............at the moment I'd have Jezki as top of the pile but there's a decent size group of others chasing him

A couple of them run at Exeter tomorrow - Melodic Rendezvous and Puffin Billy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, lots of hurdlers with big futures. Forgot about Jezki! Good duel at Exeter today as well. Chatterbox could be overpriced for the Supreme at 16s. My Tent Or Yours no longer than 2/1 :eek
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thursday 7.30 - radio 5live........programme about how Frankel is settling in to his stud duties..............

In the news - Flemenstar is to miss Cheltenham and will be aimed at the Melling Chase at Aintree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flemenstar missing Cheltenham, lets be totally honest here, a complete cop out. We would suspect he could not stay 3 miles 2 furlongs, but he might be the one horse to get Sprinter Sacre off the bridle in the Champion Chase.

Melling Chase is a good option in truth (as would have been the Ryanair) but why that should include missing Cheltenham I don't know.

I see the National weights are out. Tidal Bay looks especially well handicapped but again, much depends on how he comes out of Cheltenham. I would have thought a repeat of his run in the Lexus Chase would make him incredibly difficult to beat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're saying that Flemenstar has a lung infection..........

But i think they are quite happy to be missing Cheltenham. He's not going to get the trip in the Gold Cup, he'd probably get beat by Sprinter sacre and the race he would probably win, the Ryanair, has been rubbished by connections as not worth running in................be a bit embarrasssing if they ran in it now..............:eek:
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australian unbeaten mare Black Caviar resumes racing on Saturday at Flemington in the Group 1 1000m Black Caviar Lightning (formerly the Lightning Stakes, but now renamed in her honour). She will be attempting her 23rd win from 23 starts and this will be her first race since winning the Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot. There are acceptances for seven other runners and the race will be run at 5.30 am Saturday UK time.