Why do I have to let them in my home??????

Comments

• R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dodgy people casing OAP's houses, are you sure of that?

Really sure? :D
  • Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    No but not opening the door does make you look like you have something to hide, whether you have or not.

Or you are just out. I almost never answer my door when I am out.
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Sure, so with respect to above, what is you subjective opinion on where this money is being spent instead?

Isn't that going a bit off topic?

There are umpteen places where the government could spend tax income to good effect. Do you want to start discussing that? Better off in a politics forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather silly reply, perhaps you need to check what you wrote and why I responded. Or are you just trying to create some smoke and duck the misleading points you made?.

Not silly at all.

You asked where the government is spending the money it has saved by passing on the cost to the BBC of no longer funding BBC Monitoring and from next year will no longer fund World Service.

Well I don't know where that specific saving has been reallocated. The government don't normally directly relate a saving made in one place to extra spending elsewhere.

Hence, if you want to know where the government is spending the money it saved, look at the budget. It will be part of all that spending, but which particular part? who knows?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    No but not opening the door does make you look like you have something to hide, whether you have or not.

I am never understand that way of thinking when the police and councils spend millions of pounds every year giving you that advice. You’re safe and secure if they’re kept outside your door!
    Help us stamp out doorstep crime - stop - think and
    remember - SOS - Stay Out Stranger!
    Always:
    Keep your door shut and locked and use a spy-hole
    or window to check who is outside
    Do NOT open the door if you don’t recognise or are
    not expecting a caller
    Avoid keeping large amounts of cash at home
    Ask yourself:
    Am I expecting a visit from a friend, neighbour or
    relative today?
    Has someone made an appointment by telephone or
    letter to see me today?
    If the answer to either of these questions is no then do
    not open the door and think SOS - Stay Out Stranger!
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Do you make a habit of ignoring people who come to your door?

Yes.
    What have you got to hide?

Nothing. I just can't abide cold-callers.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Yes.

Nothing. I just can't abide cold-callers.

99 times out of 100, an unexpected visitor (or cold caller) is after your money in one form or another, Why would anyone be keen to be parted from their cash, by even answering the door?

So Bob, there is nothing odd at all in adopting your attitude in my opinion. In fact as money is getting very short, it is a very good idea - Of course the Penny off a pint of beer, will make a HUGE difference to my wealth:rolleyes: NOT.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Or you are just out. I almost never answer my door when I am out.

It would be rather difficult to do as well.
  • dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »

There are umpteen places where the government could spend tax income to good effect. Do you want to start discussing that? Better off in a politics forum.

Eh??:confused:

I was commenting on the point YOU brought up.

So I was correct. You clearly have absolutely no idea where they are spending the money instead, so you are evading the question. Your original point seems pretty empty then.

:yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem from this thread that those who are most vociferous in their opposition to the TV Licence and insistent that they don't require one are also the ones most likely to refuse to answer their door to unexpected callers (and even, in an extreme case, monitor their front door with CCTV!).

I have to wonder, yet again, what they have to hide.
    Forum Member
    It does seem from this thread that those who are most vociferous in their opposition to the TV Licence and insistent that they don't require one are also the ones most likely to refuse to answer their door to unexpected callers (and even, in an extreme case, monitor their front door with CCTV!).

I can not comment on what other people have to "hide" but in my house behind all my cctv and alarms I have all my things that I hard earned bought or being given over my life (some with lots of memories from my past on grandparents)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

It just part of home security, why do shops and other places have cctv at there front door, its a good thing to prevent door step crime, my local council has fitted it into 4,000 propertys at the moment and are doing more homes this year,.There has been a big increase in bogus workers, useing ways to get into people homes attacking them and robbing them. Having cctv and not opening your door to strangers. Does not mean you have anything to hide. And we dont all want to be answering our doors to cold callers everyday, which is on the increase again because money is tight. It is sound advice that all police forces give out do not answer your door to strangers. are you saying the police are wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was commenting on the point YOU brought up.

So I was correct. You clearly have absolutely no idea where they are spending the money instead, so you are evading the question. Your original point seems pretty empty then.

:yawn:

Well read the conversation.
    Because either the tax can be reduced, or if the tax remains the same then the savings can be spent better elsewhere.
    Well, if we cut many public services, tax could be reduced. Doesnt make it a good idea.

Better elsewhere? Thats a subjective opinion.
    It was outlined in the budget yesterday. I suggest you read that if you don't know where the government is spending your tax.
    So what you mean is exactly what you have suggested is already happening, but you dont know if it is being put to "better use.
    Sure, so with respect to above, what is you subjective opinion on where this money is being spent instead?

I have every idea where they are spending the money. But clearly cannot identify where that specific saving is being re-spent as I indicated.

But IMO, spending on health, education, welfare, emergency services is all tax payers money better spent than on the BBC. If the government is making savings by funding the world service out of the TVL in order that it can maintain the level of spending on the NHS, then that's fine by me.

Is that the subjective answer you were looking for?
    Forum Member
    Anyway I have had another visit so that is 3 inside a month, so they really want to come in but keep calling when I am out.
    Forum Member
    Anyway I have had another visit so that is 3 inside a month, so they really want to come in but keep calling when I am out.

From who?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well read the conversation.
    I have every idea where they are spending the money. But clearly cannot identify where that specific saving is being re-spent as I indicated.

What a load of contradictory nonsense.
    You clearly have no idea where its being spent, or wether its better spent, hence the evasive answer. Unless you think "I know the government spend money" is some kind of answer.

But IMO, spending on health, education, welfare, emergency services is all tax payers money better spent than on the BBC. If the government is making savings by funding the world service out of the TVL in order that it can maintain the level of spending on the NHS, then that's fine by me.

We already spend 110 billion on health. About time they made some efficiencies. I hardly think a few million diverted from the bbc is going to make much difference to that money pit.

I also don't think that pouring more into welfare is a good idea.

Btw, it may have escaped your attention, the bbc does educate and inform.

Anyway, What a dull place this would be if we only spent money on "essential" services.

Did you disapprove of the Olympics?
    Is that the subjective answer you were looking for?

It was exactly the cop out I expected.:D;)
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously dynamics. Check the forum code beforr posting... :)
    Forum Member
    From who?

Them again the capita people.
    Forum Member
    Them again the capita people.

I don't believe you one bit and not only that, you didn't know who the last one was anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was exactly the cop out I expected.

I gave a pretty fair explanation.
    It seems you either don't want to accept it, or perhaps from the tone of your sarcastic comment you want to just bait me into an argument.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I repeat, I have nothing to hide.

I just can't abide cold-callers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave a pretty fair explanation.
    It seems you either don't want to accept it, or perhaps from the tone of your sarcastic comment you want to just bait me into an argument.

I dont think there was anything "fair" about contradicting yourself:

"I know where money is spent - I dont know where this money is spent"

As I said, do you think "I know the government spend money" is some kind of answer?

The point was that you clearly have no idea where, or if this money is being better spent.

The rest of your reply was was a predictable cop out. You just picked three worthy causes, one of which the BBC actually does anyway.

All I did was point out that I disagree.

If you consider that baiting, well, thats entirely up to you.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps if you leave a note in a milk bottle on your doorstep "No live TV today" they might notice that & take heed? :)
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Perhaps if you leave a note in a milk bottle on your doorstep "No live TV today" they might notice that & take heed? :)

:) lol yeah good point but I could stick it right in the window (the one he peers in each time)
    Forum Member
    I don't believe you one bit and not only that, you didn't know who the last one was anyway.

Well I do now cos the same bloke came back and left another red letter. Do not lie mossy you do believe me you as you have seen the videos.