Flying to NYC on Monday. F**king petrified.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Safest way to travel - you've got more chance of dying on the journey to the airport.

Deep breathes, close your eyes and you'll be OK. However, if you like rollercoasters etc you'll be fine.

And at the end of the flight take you shoes and socks of and scrunch your toes into balls...of course just make sure you aren't near the top floor of a Japanese company's skyscraper while there's a party going on...yippee kiyeah melon farmer.

I bet that's reassuring for the OP! :p
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Safest way to travel - you've got more chance of dying on the journey to the airport.

Deep breathes, close your eyes and you'll be OK. However, if you like rollercoasters etc you'll be fine.

And at the end of the flight take you shoes and socks of and scrunch your toes into balls...of course just make sure you aren't near the top floor of a Japanese company's skyscraper while there's a party going on...yippee kiyeah melon farmer.

Even kiddie roller-coasters make me ill. :o
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking off and landing is the best bit, but it's also the most dangerous part :D.

It's your ears with the pressure and the boredom thats is the worse.

I don't like that bit when the plane reaches cruising height. The front of the plane dips and it sounds like the engines have stopped. I always get a split second of OMG the engines have broken and we are falling back down :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I don't like that bit when the plane reaches cruising height. The front of the plane dips and it sounds like the engines have stopped. I always get a split second of OMG the engines have broken and we are falling back down :D

*vomits*

:eek:
    /|\
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    *vomits*

:eek:
    /|\

I'm guessing they just cut back on the power as staying up needs less thrust than getting up! Can still be a bit disconcerting though :D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take an X-Box controller with you and pretend you're actually flying the plane, that way it'll all seem like a fun yet very vivid, realistic game.

(Just don't get carried away and try and shoot anyone)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I'm guessing they just cut back on the power as staying up needs less thrust than getting up! Can still be a bit disconcerting though :D

If I'm on a plane I want it on full power non-stop all the way, no slowing down. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take an X-Box controller with you and pretend you're actually flying the plane, that way it'll all seem like a fun yet very vivid, realistic game.

(Just don't get carried away and try and shoot anyone)

And don't wear shoes with laces that look like detonator fuses. :p
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then give me your ticket and you can relax!

But seriously you are far more likely to have an accident on the way to the Airport than you are once on the plane.

Think how many car accidents we have per day just in this country 1000s! Now how many plane problems have we had and when was the last one?

With irrational fears, it is best to rationalise them and face the facts: And the fact is that you are many many many times safer once you get on the plane than you were dodging the motorway traffic. Get that into your brain and reprogramme yourself, not to a con that you make up to make yourself feel better, but to the real facts. Get to the plane and you are SAFE. Congratulate yourself that you have made it to the SAFE cocoon of the plane where you can now finally relax.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    Last time I was on a plane it was on the way home from a holiday in Spain, I ended up throwing up for about 15 minutes in the airport toilets once we had landed. Other than that it was fine.
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    My missus isn't the best flyer, she can do it but its not her favourite exercise. Its not the fear of flying but the fear of dying people have and I always say to her on the plane, the guy in control of this thing doesn't want to die either!

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Take off is the best bit :)

Just lie back, take deep breaths, when you hear your ears pop (when the plane banks) swallow hard, don't eat anything like sour sweets or that (personal experience suggests it'll give you acid reflux), turn the zircon above you on to keep cool. If you need to ask the staff if you can have a blanket, eye mask, lay off caffeine and stick to water/squash, it's pretty steady and the safest way to travel but if you explain to someone (family or staff) that you're anxious they'll do all they can to relax you.

I get awful motion sickness but I'm not bad on planes at all. If I can do it you can :D good luck and enjoy the holiday, NYC you lucky duck :)
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to your doctor and get some valium. Wash down with a glass of Scotch.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be like you, had a panic attack on a plane back from Greece once. The best thing you can do is a longhaul flight! It was for me.

I'm going to Barcelona tomorrow and the anxiety is setting in a bit, but I know ill be fine.

The way I calm myself down is by thinking of the following:-

- you're not gonna get there any other way, not quickly anyway.

- if you're uneasy of turbulence etc, look to see what the cabin crew are doing. If they're still up doing their job then everything's fine. You only have to start worrying if they look worried. I've never EVER seen one look worried!

Enjoy the flight, I'm sure they'll have on board entertainment to keep you occupied. When I flew to Chicago I watched about 10 films one after the other, before I knew it I was there! :D
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Go to your doctor and get some valium. Wash down with a glass of Scotch.
    Valium might be a good idea if you're really having problems, but please, please, please don't take them with alcohol!
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rat wrote: »
    My missus isn't the best flyer, she can do it but its not her favourite exercise. Its not the fear of flying but the fear of dying people have
    Or as that great philosopher Billy Connolly put it: "It's really not the flying itself that bothers me, it's the going into the ground like a ****ing dart at four hundred miles an hour."
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Thats true, my friend says its the smoothest plane hes ever flown on, like I said, take off makes me scared the most, being pushed back into your seat... Just how violent is it?..

It's 747 not an RAF tornado.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I heard wing seats were the best for that?

If I had headphones in during take off do you reckon I could lsiten to music? They tell you to turn stuff off but I just think it would make it easier for my mind.

People use camcorders to record take offs?
    Sniff Poppers during Take-Off. Re your phone, most phones have a 'flight mode' so set it to that and you can listen to your music without the phone being fully functional. :cool:
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

It's a hulking boeing 747 to make things worse...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help

Oh WOW! Lucky you! Once you have taken off you feel no real movement on a 747 until you are landing. Tell the stewards on board that you are a bit scared as you havent flown for ages and they'll look after you.

You'll wonder what all the fuss was about when you are taking pics of the statue of liberty!

Have a lovely time:)

Edit:Rescue Remedy works for my other half - you can buy it in Boots
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also recommend Rescue Remedy. You could also try some relaxtion tapes or soothing music.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his first time flying my son (aged 10 at the time) took some episodes of his favourite program to watch on his MP4 player during the flight.

Air crash investigation.

There's relaxed, and there's really relaxed.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his first time flying my son (aged 10 at the time) took some episodes of his favourite program to watch on his MP4 player during the flight.

Air crash investigation.

There's relaxed, and there's really relaxed.

PMSL:D
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flight is a breeze, now passport control at JFK, that is really scary.:D
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    The flight is a breeze, now passport control at JFK, that is really scary.:D

Which is why I was amused by BA showing us Terminal on a New York-bound flight in 2004 (a film centred around someone trapped inside JFK after failing to get through immigration...)
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather be getting a 747 than the tiny propellor plane I'll be catching to get back to the mainland tomorrow morning. Those small planes are bumpy as hell, and it's likely to be blowing a gale as well.:eek: