Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    This thread reeks of bitchiness

ooooh get her...;)
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand what you are trying to say. What are you trying to say?

My Cruciate Anterior exploded, game over. Dr.Steve Bollen tried his best, he is the best, but some things are just buggered.

What is getting to me is that RA could still swim at top level in the sport which has made her a household name.

It seems to me that she can't be arsed putting the time in to succeed.

Why should she, she's made for life financially.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brighton Sea Life Centre's looking for a new dolphin... she could do that.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I think the same. I think she actually thought after Beijing that she was going to get Gold in London and when she only managed Bronze she realised she wasn't up to the same standards as the USA or Chinese swimmers and has quit to save face.

At school sports day the bronze was given to all the kids who came in third and fourth ect, even the fat kids who hated sport like myself got it.

Gold and silver mean something , bronze is meh.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    Brighton Sea Life Centre's looking for a new dolphin... she could do that.
    You live a sad existence don't you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Our greatest ever competitive swimmer.

I love your sarcasm:D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After four pages of comments so far - did anyone actually listen to what she said at the press conferenece?

Exactly this.

She began to ramble a bit in answer to one question - but in it openly admitted that she got to enjoy the "lifestyle" after Beijing and found it too hard to get back into training and motivation. She got too heavily into charity work, and telly appearances, and giving her name to this and that. And still seems to prefer that...what's the old term? "Seduced by the camera"???

And I wonder how much of it was because all parties thought her Beijing wins simply made her a shoo-in for London???

But I can't help wondering how much this motivational aspect, the getting of athletes back to the grindstone...is down to the apparent failues of the (former) Uk Director of Swimming? Surely it was he and his staff's job to get athletes back at the coalface of 5am every morning for two hours...ASAP? Isn't that supposed to be why we have this top tier of national sport "strategic" management, to ensure we don't rely on individual trainers/athletes? To oversee their training regimes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't sarcastic. She genuinely was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Keeping going for another 4 years so a bunch of people on DS who don't know a thing about her sport stop calling her names, obviously.

Stop being pathetic, she is third rate and always will be,
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I love your sarcasm:D

Results wise she is clearly the best swimmer Britain has ever produced. Next best is David Wilkie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand what you are trying to say. What are you trying to say?

My Cruciate Anterior exploded, game over. Dr.Steve Bollen tried his best, he is the best, but some things are just buggered.

What is getting to me is that RA could still swim at top level in the sport which has made her a household name.

Bollen treated Gazza's knee after that F.A. cup reckless challenge.

I think once your knee is knackered, all aspirations are pipe dreams. :o
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    Most people gauge the performance of anybody by how they compare against their peers, not themselves.

What exactly does that mean?

=

I'll just throw this in.

Swimming Women's 400m Individual Medley Final - Chinese WR - London 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArKGCqlVbLQ
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »

Really?

The oldest female gold medalist in the 800 metre freestyle in recent years was 24. The rest, and I've only gone back to the 80's so far were 22, 21, 18, 19, 16, 15.

On another note - not one of the swimmers in the final of the 800 metres was over 25. Come 2016, all things being well, Addlington would be 27. What's the point "swimming at the top level" - when you're on the decline and it's only going to get worse?

But no. Obviously you know better. Especially how "she can't be arsed" and has let "Fame" get to her.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you what is known in a trade as a WUM or Troll! You do seem to be deliberately goading!
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

The oldest female gold medalist in the 800 metre freestyle in recent years was 24.

Actually that's incorrect. The oldest ever was Shibata who was 22 years old in 2004.

Again the majority of winners have been teenagers.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    You know I was being sarcastic right? I should have used the :rolleyes: but I hate it! :D
    Ditto on both counts. I was being sarcastic as well.

Must be a lot of Frankie Boyle fans on the thread with all the hate this innocuous swimmer is getting from certain people on the thread. As Adlington herself says in the article, "Some people want to milk it all they can".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

The oldest female gold medalist in the 800 metre freestyle in recent years was 24. The rest, and I've only gone back to the 80's so far were 22, 21, 18, 19, 16, 15.

On another note - not one of the swimmers in the final of the 800 metres was over 25. Come 2016, all things being well, Addlington would be 27. What's the point "swimming at the top level" - when you're on the decline and it's only going to get worse?

But no. Obviously you know better. Especially how "she can't be arsed" and has let "Fame" get to her.

Serious question, I don't know the answer.

Why do male swimmers win medals in multiple Olympics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Are you what is known in a trade as a WUM or Troll! You do seem to be deliberately goading!

No mate I'm just giving my opinion, I'll leave the trolling up to you.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's third rate, what does that make you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Ditto on both counts.

Must be a lot of Frankie Boyle fans on the thread with all the hate this innocuous swimmer is getting from certain people on the thread.

Wondered when Frankie Boyle would get dragged into it, and is there anything wrong with valid criticism of the saintly addlington.

Dear god better sport stars than her get ripped apart here on DS everyday,
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    Serious question, I don't know the answer.

Why do male swimmers win medals in multiple Olympics?

Which 800m male swimmers have won gold medals at multiple Olympics?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I can't help wondering how much this motivational aspect, the getting of athletes back to the grindstone...is down to the apparent failues of the (former) Uk Director of Swimming? Surely it was he and his staff's job to get athletes back at the coalface of 5am every morning for two hours...ASAP? Isn't that supposed to be why we have this top tier of national sport "strategic" management, to ensure we don't rely on individual trainers/athletes? To oversee their training regimes?

She does have a say in it too remember. Maybe she just decided she doesn't want to anymore. That is allowed. I'd rather she does what she wants to do rather than spend the next four years working her arse off just to make up the numbers.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Aye, appearances at two olympics, winning medals at both, is "third rate".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    If she's third rate, what does that make you?

Rowan Hedge that's who.:D