Can't believe NOBODY turned for Bronwen!

Comments

• johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sogo wrote: »
    I literally can't listen to Eva Cassidy's version. I have to turn it off. Not because it moves me in any way but just because I think it is completely devoid of any real emotion & it annoys me like hell that it gets so much attention.
    But Bronwen's version is something else entirely. Love it.

As for those saying it is boring. Well try looking outside all the sad, safe & repetitive dramatic performances these programmes have made the norm. Abi gave a terrific understated delivery & the first thing Jessie tells her is to lose that!
    The show is a joke now.

I'm the other way round - love Eva Cassidy's version and thought that Bronwen's lacked emotion.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being kind to the judges, I don't think her song choice helped. I still think she deserved to go through though.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singing Fields of Gold. I had goosebumps the entire way through, I was awful shocked nobody turned around. She was brilliant. What a shame. Loved her.

I agree . Best singer I've heard for a long time with a glorious voice . Tom would definitely have her on his team but he had used up all his places . I hope there is some record producer out there that will give her a chance.

I haven't watched all the BGT shows but the standard tonight was excellent throughout, with some great voices .
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    I'm the other way round - love Eva Cassidy's version and thought that Bronwen's lacked emotion.

To add more fuel to the fire, Sting's version can still move me to tears whilst Eva Cassidy singing it leaves me cold. :o
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harriet was/is excellent though, and was 2 years younger (!), and did a very daring song with lots of oomph /masterchef

Covering an Eva Cassidy cover of a sting song, albeit with a nice welsh element, it's like she's singing up the wrong side of a hill and never get's over it and it's just a bit of a cliche now, she needed to strike out. And WAY too much reverb.

Just a bad song choice imo, and song choice is critical.
  • sogosogo Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I agree sarah. It's certainly got nothing to do with the voice if indeed it ever did :rolleyes: You can see and hear Danny and Jessie obsessing over what the act looks like and though you don't see it so obviously with Will he's clearly as obsessed with it.

Why not scrap the whole concept and admit what it is. just another boring RT contest where the judges are really competing to win.

Few weeks ago, when he couldn't decide whether to turn, Danny said 'I really want to see what she looks like'.
    That has to be totally against the supposed spirit of the show doesn't it?
    If they do make another series they should screen the judges so they can't see or speak to each other (Infact, having them in individual soundproof boxes, re. Mr & Mrs, would make it a lot better & really about the voice again, rather than just kids playing stupid games)
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harriet was/is excellent though, and was 2 years younger (!), and did a very daring song with lots of oomph /masterchef

Covering an Eva Cassidy cover of a sting song, albeit with a nice welsh element, it's like she's singing up the wrong side of a hill and never get's over it and it's just a bit of a cliche now, she needed to strike out. And WAY too much reverb.

Just a bad song choice imo, and song choice is critical.

Sadly you are the only one who thinks this way.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I noticed which amused me - when Bronwen started playing the keyboard, it made Will jump! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have watch the Voice since it started but I am really not sure I would watch it again after tonight. I cannot believe how unfair the set up is basicly it is a lottory because if you audition at the beginning you have a much greater chance of getting in. The guy who was picked at the end by Will was no were near as good as this girl and he must know it....he was waiting for someone better and then just had to have the last one....how sad. I thought her voice was one of the most beautiful voices that I have ever heard. For me it was so above anyone else ….I have never complained to a programme before but I was so outraged by the injustice that I actually complained to the BBC about the whole set up and registered here. Really feel like if someone like her cannot get through the blind auditions...someone who could have won the whole thing well I don't really feel like watching any more . Shame on The Voice.
    Forum Member
    I have watch the Voice since it started but I am really not sure I would watch it again after tonight. I cannot believe how unfair the set up is basicly it is a lottory because if you audition at the beginning you have a much greater chance of getting in. The guy who was picked at the end by Will was no were near as good as this girl and he must know it....he was waiting for someone better and then just had to have the last one....how sad. I thought her voice was one of the most beautiful voices that I have ever heard. For me it was so above anyone else ….I have never complained to a programme before but I was so outraged by the injustice that I actually complained to the BBC about the whole set up and registered here. Really feel like if someone like her cannot get through the blind auditions...someone who could have won the whole thing well I don't really feel like watching any more . Shame on The Voice.

Just a thought but, do you think she gambled and lost? She went on the show singing in Welsh and unfortunately for her the Welsh judge had reached his limit. Could have been the other two picked up that she sang in Welsh to impress Tom and decided she probably didn't really want to be in their teams.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking decision not to put her through, for me the show lost a lot of credibility tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll probably get an invite to audition for another singing contest somewhere.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really surprised neither Jessie or Will turned for Bronwen. When you think of some that they have turned for - that Filipino guy or the shouty black lady tonight, for starters - it really does make me wonder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I'm so upset, but its just the way it goes at the end. Happened last year too. Didn't Will listen to a few performances before he filled the final spot.
    Will i am and Jessie J do not seem to be looking for "The Voice" unlike Tom and Danny. There is no way Bronwyn wouldn't have been picked had Danny and Tom had space left.
    Why was she left until the last batch of singers? I wonder who did the selecting when it came to time slots.
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What made it even worse was the bloke JJ turned for afterwards!!What:eek:

His partner should audition for a role in the dying swan :D
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous. A lot worse singers were getting 3-4 chairs turned in the first 3 shows!
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were there at that audition, the final one, and it's not quite as it's been portrayed on the telly.

There were only 2 spots left right at the start of that audition, not 4 or 5 as the show said. They've swapped acts about to make it look more interesting, whereas it was actually quite disappointing as 10 (potentially good) people were always going to be unsuccessful.

Bronwen was excellent in real life, but I don't think singing in Welsh helped her, as Tom's team was already full and that's who she was aiming for.

I was incredibly disappointed by the last guy, and Will went on for a good 5 minutes about the hand clapping nonsense, so I think he was as well if truth be known. I can't see the final guy getting through the next rounds.
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly you are the only one who thinks this way.

Not at all, if you read through this thread (and others) you will see there are a few of us who weren't that impressed by Bronwen. It all comes down to personal taste, and she didn't impress me, along with a few others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    She was beautiful - what a voice -for sure Tom and no doubt Danny would have turned- such a shame
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    We were there at that audition, the final one, and it's not quite as it's been portrayed on the telly.

There were only 2 spots left right at the start of that audition, not 4 or 5 as the show said. They've swapped acts about to make it look more interesting, whereas it was actually quite disappointing as 10 (potentially good) people were always going to be unsuccessful.

Bronwen was excellent in real life, but I don't think singing in Welsh helped her, as Tom's team was already full and that's who she was aiming for.

I was incredibly disappointed by the last guy, and Will went on for a good 5 minutes about the hand clapping nonsense, so I think he was as well if truth be known. I can't see the final guy getting through the next rounds.

Interesting.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who thinks they should have a wild card section where its the same premise of turning round if you like them but maybe they bring back 10 acts and the coaches choose 1 apiece? that could help the live shows a little
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    She'll probably get an invite to audition for another singing contest somewhere.
    It would be very interesting to see what language she sang in. ;)
    I was really surprised neither Jessie or Will turned for Bronwen. When you think of some that they have turned for - that Filipino guy or the shouty black lady tonight, for starters - it really does make me wonder.
    I loved the Filipino guy, I didn't like the "shouty" lady too much but, I understood why Jesse would love her.
    gillypanda wrote: »

Thanks for the insight. :) I thought at the time it was the clapping which was why Will turned as it was a brave thing to do when you only have a limited amount of time to impress the judges. Once more we see the power of the edit because he came across really well on the telly and I was bopping along on my sofa. :o From what we saw a lot of the audience were up on their feet dancing so I'm surprised to read that he was so disappointing.
    Not at all, if you read through this thread (and others) you will see there are a few of us who weren't that impressed by Bronwen. It all comes down to personal taste, and she didn't impress me, along with a few others.
    Totally agree. :)
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if she sang in Welsh so that Tom would turn around. She wasn't to know his team was full. She had a sweet voice but it wouldn't be my type of music. I don't think she would have suited Will or Danny's type of music. Tom would be the best mentor for her style and I think she went in there to impress him.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Tomity wrote: »
    Shes literally the only one who has affected me this series. She was amazing. Im so astounded

Yes, this was a serious error by those 'judges' still able to pick contestants. Bronwen's singing put me in mind of a young Kate Bush (obviously not as high pitched) and before the travesty, I had her down as making it to the top five.

Surely, the producers will find some way to bring her back?
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    One thing I noticed which amused me - when Bronwen started playing the keyboard, it made Will jump! :D

That because being in the Black Eyed Peas means he isn't familiar with musicianship. :rolleyes: