Trying to watch Classic episodes of Doctor Who

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm trying to watch classic episodes of Doctor Who, but 1 of them is beginning to be a pain in the behind. The episode is World's End, the fourth episode of the 2nd series in 1964.

Can anyone help me in trying to find the episode to watch?

I've already tried Youtube, but that is in parts.

I want the whole episode in full not in parts.

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    I'm trying to watch classic episodes of Doctor Who, but 1 of them is beginning to be a pain in the behind. The episode is World's End, the fourth episode of the 2nd series in 1964.

Can anyone help me in trying to find the episode to watch?

I've already tried Youtube, but that is in parts.

I want the whole episode in full not in parts.

Some files on YouTube follow automatically on from each other. I'd recommend giving this a try on autoplay and see how you get on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiOdGZ9HFOw&playnext=1&list=PLD75FC1E97C16E56A&feature=results_main

Not sure what the little extra bit is at the beginning but it's not part of the story.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy the DVD and help fund the show and those who worked on it
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.combom.co.uk/2009/04/watch-all-doctor-who-tom-baker-episodes.html
    This will get you all the Tom Baker stories, if you search Watch all the Jon Pertwee stories all the Jon Pertwee stories will be at your disposal. Just search: watch all the (actor who played the doctor) stories and it will come up with his entire era :)
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, call me sad if anyone wants to, but I would rather watch the classic episodes online and then get the DVD's.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, call me sad if anyone wants to, but I would rather watch the classic episodes online and then get the DVD's.

Makes sense. Who'd want to buy The Web Planet?
    (Well, I did actually, but that's just me ...)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh The Web Planet's not that bad, though I did buy The Twin Dilemma and Colony in Space through gritted teeth.

I've got an offical release of every episode now, every classic dvd released, VHS's of the ones not out yet, nu who series 1-4 on DVD, 2009 specials and series 5 to 7.1 on bluray and Audio CD's of all the missing ones. I am a proper ming mong. :D
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the issue is more that you'd rather watch them illegally than abide by legal channels. The bit about having physical artefacts filling up your shelves is neither here nor there.

So — does anybody know whether Netflix UK has every extant serial of Doctor Who ala Netflix US?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    I think the issue is more that you'd rather watch them illegally than abide by legal channels. The bit about having physical artefacts filling up your shelves is neither here nor there.

So — does anybody know whether Netflix UK has every extant serial of Doctor Who ala Netflix US?

It's quite a contentious issue whether watching stuff on YouTube is illegal or not. If I wanted to watch footage of the recent storm in America, is that illegal too????

I think with YouTube, it's more the person who uploaded the video in the first place who's doing the wrong as well as YouTube themselves for allowing the footage to be shown.

Saying that, though, as far as Doctor Who or any other show is concerned, buying the DVD is always the best option, and before everyone jumps down my throat, yes, I do own most stories on DVD!

:)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »

Only the uploader is doing anything illegal.

Besides Youtube has a Doctor Who channel which hardly seems to get updated.

British houses are very small and buying DVDs takes up too much space.

Only some episodes are on Netflix USA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least they're smaller than VHS...
  • GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    If you know the stuff's there illegally and you take advantage, you're just as guilty as the person putting it up.

Want it? Pay for it.

Don’t want it enough to pay for it? Go buy something you do want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grafelfing wrote: »
    If you know the stuff's there illegally and you take advantage, you're just as guilty as the person putting it up.

Want it? Pay for it.

THAT

As someone who works in TV it infuriates me the way people casually watch stuff online and don't pay for it, and think "Oh well, it doesn't matter"

Well it DOES matter

Part of the reason the show is made now is because it makes the BBC money. If everyone took the attitude that they should watch things online then the BBC would be massively worse off. And so the show could be.

As the poster said above, it's about £6.50 on Amazon - hardly a fortune
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the uploader is doing anything illegal.

Yes, but the person watching it does something immoral by supporting them instead of paying.
    Besides Youtube has a Doctor Who channel which hardly seems to get updated.

No excuse. The DVDs are available everywhere and iTunes has loads of episodes.

The most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite a contentious issue whether watching stuff on YouTube is illegal or not. If I wanted to watch footage of the recent storm in America, is that illegal too????

It's breaking copyright rules to upload anything that isn't your own material. And by watching it one is supporting that practise. If the footage is owned by the uploader or news footage, then generally it's ok to watch it because it's considered 'public domain'.

However, we're talking about an artistic creation here, which isn't news footage that could've been filmed by anyone. It's something people put hours and hours of work into, often not for much money, and for people to then take the attitude that they can consume that work for free is appalling.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Want it? Pay for it.

Here here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    It's breaking copyright rules to upload anything that isn't your own material. And by watching it one is supporting that practise. If the footage is owned by the uploader or news footage, then generally it's ok to watch it because it's considered 'public domain'.

However, we're talking about an artistic creation here, which isn't news footage that could've been filmed by anyone. It's something people put hours and hours of work into, often not for much money, and for people to then take the attitude that they can consume that work for free is appalling.

I agree with all the points that you make but while sites like YouTube put stuff for free on the Internet, you'll never stop people watching it. It may not be right but that's the way it is.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Want it? Pay for it.

They need to bring the prices down first as the classic series is very old.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only newly released stuff is relatively pricey and then only for about 6 months - something like Dalek Invasion can be bought cheap anywhere.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    On ebay a lot of these dvds can be bought for £3. That's how much Edge of Destruction cost me.
    Forum Member

And therefore usually needs a fair bit for restoration, which costs. As do the extensive extras.
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Only newly released stuff is relatively pricey and then only for about 6 months - something like Dalek Invasion can be bought cheap anywhere.

Exactly. Find-DVD.co.uk will even send you an e-mail if they drop below your target price. I use it for ones I'm not fussed about getting straight away. (Poor old Sensorites :()
    Forum Member
    On ebay a lot of these dvds can be bought for £3. That's how much Edge of Destruction cost me.

But that's NOT TO BE SOLD SEPARATELY, you monster!
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I'm not the monster for buying it. I bought the Daleks second hand for about the same (and got the 5 doctors limited edition case cover with it) -- in both cases the seller was given the seperate dvd and that is not their fault.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

13 quid for a brand new release is good value considering the cost of restoring the episodes and the extras you get with it
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    13 quid for a brand new release is good value considering the cost of restoring the episodes and the extras you get with it

And the animation that goes into some of the ones with lost episodes... not cheap.