Apple set for twice a year iPad refresh

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a450953/apple-set-for-twice-a-year-ipad-refresh-says-analyst.html

I think this is ridiculous. Once a year was enough. In some ways it's not worth buying an iPad if they're going to keep refreshing them all the time.

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. As soon as they bring out a new one all the old ones stop working so you're forced to buy.

All the more reason to choose a competitor's product instead.

Ummmm..... :):)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It's really up to them.

nobody is forcing you to buy them.

they are minor updates anyway. slightly faster processor. that kind of thing. it's iOS that is the problem now.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Companies bring out new laptops and phones all the time. My iPad 2 will do for me for what I want it for for some time yet. I'd bet an iPad 1 is still perfectly usable for most things.

It's true that as the performance of the device improves so will software and the older devices may struggle to run it. But I have an old Celeron laptop that still runs XP fine and for web browsing etc it's just as good as my newish laptop.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    It's really up to them.

nobody is forcing you to buy them.

they are minor updates anyway. slightly faster processor. that kind of thing. it's iOS that is the problem now.

How is it the problem? Am I the only one who thinks tablets and phones seem to have a shorter life than desktops and laptops?
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Companies bring out new laptops and phones all the time. My iPad 2 will do for me for what I want it for for some time yet. I'd bet an iPad 1 is still perfectly usable for most things.

It's true that as the performance of the device improves so will software and the older devices may struggle to run it. But I have an old Celeron laptop that still runs XP fine and for web browsing etc it's just as good as my newish laptop.

That is so true, Nokia use to release phones back in the day and yet people criticise apple? When they oly have one model phone? They will be refreshing ipad and ipad mini not 2 ipads according to speculations
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is ridiculous. Once a year was enough. In some ways it's not worth buying an iPad if they're going to keep refreshing them all the time.

Manufacturers "refresh" their products all the time whether they are TVs, cars or fridges. Desktop and Laptop computers get their specifications changed constantly as prices of components and suppliers change.

As long as the model I buy is supported by the manufacturer for a reasonable amount of time then I don't see what the problem is. People don't tend to camp outside Currys every 6 months waiting to be one of the first to buy the latest Hotpoint fridge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like Firefox and Google Chrome constantly bringing out new versions but most of the time the only thing most people see change is the version number.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a450953/apple-set-for-twice-a-year-ipad-refresh-says-analyst.html

New colours and sizes, I always said Apple was very innovative :p Apple will suck their hardcore fans dry. You won't take your current iPad out of the box properly and there's a new one waiting already :eek: :D
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The Apple hate seems ridiculous. If people want to change every time there is a refresh then that's up to them, seems a bit daft but its their money. The majority of people simply want to buy the latest model and will keep it for a decent length of time until something comes out that they want badly enough to make them make the upgrade. How is that different to any other product? My tv has probably been updated 100 times since I bought it, I don't feel the need to resent the manufacturers for updating their product, neither have I felt the need to change my tv 100 times.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

... "an analyst has claimed" in other words baseless speculation.

How often do the pundits have to be wrong before we stop listening to them? Remember when there were models of a 'new look' iPhone 5 going arounf for months and we actually got the 4S? Also, at the iPad Mini launch nobody expected an iPad 4 so soon, but now the 'analysts' claim a twice-yearly update cycle.

My policy is to ignore all the news stories (especially on DS) and wait for the annoucement from Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    My policy is to ignore all the news stories (especially on DS) and wait for the annoucement from Apple.
    Mine is to wait for an announcement from Google :)
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just bought an iPad 2 (literally, yesterday) because the iPad 3 was too expensive for me to afford right now - it'd better be supported for a long time yet! :eek:
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I have iPad 1, I think it was bought in Oct 10 (maybe Oct 09 can't remember) apparently they have stopped supporting it (no more updates for this model).

I don't care how many "refreshes" they have but don't stop supporting an expensive product after a few years!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The Apple hate seems ridiculous. If people want to change every time there is a refresh then that's up to them, seems a bit daft but its their money. The majority of people simply want to buy the latest model and will keep it for a decent length of time until something comes out that they want badly enough to make them make the upgrade. How is that different to any other product? My tv has probably been updated 100 times since I bought it, I don't feel the need to resent the manufacturers for updating their product, neither have I felt the need to change my tv 100 times.

Wow, cnbcwatcher is NOT an apple hater! :eek:

I dont see the issue if they want to update stuff more often at all though. My issue with them is how they pretend to the naive that they update their phones really quick with the latest iOS features.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mirela wrote: »
    Well I've just bought an iPad 2 (literally, yesterday) because the iPad 3 was too expensive for me to afford right now - it'd better be supported for a long time yet! :eek:
    ipad3 is no longer on sale ... & ipad5 probably 4 months away at most. twice a year cycle already in action!
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    ipad3 is no longer on sale ... & ipad5 probably 4 months away at most. twice a year cycle already in action!

As long as it still works for a couple of years without software updates at least, that's the main thing...
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the iPad as soon as it was available in the UK (summer 2010?) and the main app I use on it (iAnnotate) keeps crashing. The app people tell me it's because their updates may be too sophisticated for it to handle so I guess I'll have to get a new one when the next one comes out.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this guy is saying a refresh won't happen until the third quarter of the year - September time.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-product-roadmap-predictions-multiple-iphones-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a very good track record in predicting Apple's product plans, has issued a new research report outlining his expectations for Apple's 2013 product launches

- iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.
  • subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The demand is there, so they will do what they do.

So much for a "Greener World"....

Corporate profits dictate everything in life
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »

"Apple hate" is thrown about too lightly by some. Based on the OP's previous Apple posts and runs I've had with her, you couldn't be more wrong!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I bought the iPad as soon as it was available in the UK (summer 2010?) and the main app I use on it (iAnnotate) keeps crashing. The app people tell me it's because their updates may be too sophisticated for it to handle so I guess I'll have to get a new one when the next one comes out.

Wow! That dev is BSing you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! That dev is BSing you.
    Are they? Why? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Are they? Why? :o

If their app is crashing then they are not handling the errors their software is encountering.

These errors might be because they were using features of iOS that Apple have deprecated, which they do ALL the BLOODY time! If the App isn't written with this in mind then when it tries to use a feature it will just bomb out and crash as seems to be happening to you.

The other likely solution might be that the devs have to use the new XCode which cant build for older devices, so they cant actually patch your version whilst supporting new devices, like iPhone5.

Edit: having read reviews on the google play store the software is incredibly unstable there too. Sounds like TERRIBLE software!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If their app is crashing then they are not handling the errors their software is encountering.

These errors might be because they were using features of iOS that Apple have deprecated, which they do ALL the BLOODY time! If the App isn't written with this in mind then when it tries to use a feature it will just bomb out and crash as seems to be happening to you.

The other likely solution might be that the devs have to use the new XCode which cant build for older devices, so they cant actually patch your version whilst supporting new devices, like iPhone5.
    Oh, I see. I'm supposed to be keeping a diary of crashes for them. It's not that often it crashes, I guess, in the scheme of things. Maybe four times a day.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: having read reviews on the google play store the software is incredibly unstable there too. Sounds like TERRIBLE software!

LOL, you tell 'em matey. BLOODY DEVELOPERS THESE DAYS TO BUSY BEING ROCKSTARS TO MAKE SHIT WORK PROPERLY.

I bet they use RoR aswell for some of their webservices :P