BT Sport, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 - LCNs 57,58,59

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It only looks like Channel 57 will be FTA tomorrow, simulcasting BT Sport 1:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=67538603
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man city have just won 5-3 so will be on BT Sports freeview night.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing the lack of data is whilst they connect it up to Stratford :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    why, on freeview, does the EPG for channel 34 still show ESPN programmes for the next 8 days?? are they just teasing me??

come on BT let me carry on with ESPN on freeview, please!!
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Man city have just won 5-3 so will be on BT Sports freeview night.

Bayern have scored 1-0 could be a good final.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why, on freeview, does the EPG for channel 34 still show ESPN programmes for the next 8 days?? are they just teasing me??

come on BT let me carry on with ESPN on freeview, please!!
    It was the same for Sky Sports. I think it took them a day or so after the end of broadcast to remove programming information.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Hmm. BT Sport 57 moves multiplex on launch day? Not ideal.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Hmm. BT Sport 57 moves multiplex on launch day? Not ideal.

I had noticed the BT Vision box had different EPG info from my TV, then when hitting 57 on my TV it told me the channel was no longer available and asked if i wanted to delete it.

About 10-15 minutes later, i noticed the TV had picked up 57 again, this time showing an off air screen saying tune in at 6 for BT Sport.

The whole 57 thing is a strange one, if BT had no intention of using it for ESPN, then why didn't they have 58 FTA and 59 needing the card, the like any other channel come midnight 58 goes encrypted.

I have a Humax PVR, can't remember the model number, but it is the HD one with iPlayer and to my knowledge it doesn't pick up changes, new channels etc itself, without a manual retune, so it would seem bizarre that BT would choose today to move 57, you would think that it would have been left, done the FTA thing tonight, then disappeared tomorrow to get replaced by what ever channel is taking over the space.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I had noticed the BT Vision box had different EPG info from my TV, then when hitting 57 on my TV it told me the channel was no longer available and asked if i wanted to delete it.

About 10-15 minutes later, i noticed the TV had picked up 57 again, this time showing an off air screen saying tune in at 6 for BT Sport.

The whole 57 thing is a strange one, if BT had no intention of using it for ESPN, then why didn't they have 58 FTA and 59 needing the card, the like any other channel come midnight 58 goes encrypted.

I have a Humax PVR, can't remember the model number, but it is the HD one with iPlayer and to my knowledge it doesn't pick up changes, new channels etc itself, without a manual retune, so it would seem bizarre that BT would choose today to move 57, you would think that it would have been left, done the FTA thing tonight, then disappeared tomorrow to get replaced by what ever channel is taking over the space.

A bit clumsy to have the last minute retune, I agree.

The BT Press Release says
    "August 1 sees the launch of the UK’s newest TV sports channels and to kick it off they will be free for all to see on the first day for anyone with Freeview, TV from BT or Sky. "
    "They" is not singular, and yet we only have one BT Sport channel free-to-air :rolleyes:

A last minute change of plan?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have 57 in the clear but 58 and 59 are still encrypted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 57 now using the space that 34 was using, as that would explain the off air graphic earlier, as i believe that ESPN didn't start till 2pm weekdays on DTT.

So who owns the space that the 34 version of ESPN used and is there still a chance that this might be used for BT 's ESPN after tonights FTA opening is over with.
    Forum Member
    Is 57 now using the space that 34 was using, as that would explain the off air graphic earlier, as i believe that ESPN didn't start till 2pm weekdays on DTT.

So who owns the space that the 34 version of ESPN used and is there still a chance that this might be used for BT 's ESPN after tonights FTA opening is over with.

Yes. It's using that capacity.

As regards "BT" ESPN - it's anyone's guess. Especially after the surprise retune today.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    As regards "BT" ESPN - it's anyone's guess. Especially after the surprise retune today.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to LCN 57 after midnight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to LCN 57 after midnight.

There certainly has been a lack of information regarding the BT Sport launch, supposed to be 2 channels on DTT, yet 3 appear, then on launch day, the FTA one moves multiplex.

At no point have i seen a news story or press release about what 57 was for and judging from other channel changes today, i don't see anything that has taken over that space that 57 has been using for the last month, to have left it in place for tonights FTA offering.

Now it looks like 57 has moved into what was 34's stream, that was my understanding not actually owned by Disney/ESPN and that was the reason why BT's EPSN wasn't going to be on DTT.

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space.

One thing for sure, considering BT are a communications company, they have been seriously lacking on what 57 is for and certainly today and the multiplex change, you have to seriously question where was the off air graphic telling viewers to see the FTA opening on 57 a retune was needed?
    Forum Member
    There certainly has been a lack of information regarding the BT Sport launch, supposed to be 2 channels on DTT, yet 3 appear, then on launch day, the FTA one moves multiplex.

At no point have i seen a news story or press release about what 57 was for and judging from other channel changes today, i don't see anything that has taken over that space that 57 has been using for the last month, to have left it in place for tonights FTA offering.

Now it looks like 57 has moved into what was 34's stream, that was my understanding not actually owned by Disney/ESPN and that was the reason why BT's EPSN wasn't going to be on DTT.

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space.

One thing for sure, considering BT are a communications company, they have been seriously lacking on what 57 is for and certainly today and the multiplex change, you have to seriously question where was the off air graphic telling viewers to see the FTA opening on 57 a retune was needed?

I did catch an "retune" caption on the "old" 57 when I retuned one of my TVs at around 19:00. I don't know when it appeared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I did catch an "retune" caption on the "old" 57 when I retuned one of my TVs at around 19:00. I don't know when it appeared.

Channel 57 borrowed ESPN stream for today to give a freeview of bt sport. Will diapear at 6am tomorrow and Espn will reappear on 34
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both my Samsung TV's were reporting that 57 was no longer broadcasting and then asked me if i wanted to delete them, that was at 1pm today, so something must have changed after that.

Still say that BT haven't dealt with what is happening on/with DTT very well at all.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space

The LCN34 space was "owned" by TUTV (who leased it from Channel 5) and was formerly used by Setanta Sports before they went bust. ESPN took it over on 25/6/09 so if the carriage deal was five years, it could be available to BT for another 11 months. But more than likely it will go back to Channel 5 when TUTV finally closes down as Anytime1, GOLD and Marketplace are on the same stream. Anyone know when that is?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

Before it moved mux it was tagged as an encrypted channel. The "new" 57 isn't.

I wonder if BT even know what their plans are!

Also I wonder where the caption on ESPN is. Anybody tuning in who doesn't know what has happened will be presented with a blank screen - shouldn't it be advising that ESPN is "no longer available via an aerial", like the Sky Sports channels did?
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Today my YouView found two new channels - the afore-mentioned 57 "BT Sport" and 45 Film 4 +1. The latter says "no information available" on the EPG and there is a blank screen. I would speculate that this channel will be taking over the capacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of it really makes much sense at the moment. Given the use of LCN's 57 to 59, why would BT use 57 for the promo rather than 59? Assuming they are going to lose LCN 57 at some point.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 57 borrowed ESPN stream for today to give a freeview of bt sport. Will diapear at 6am tomorrow and Espn will reappear on 34
    Still say that BT haven't dealt with what is happening on/with DTT very well at all.
    Few people outside forums like this will have known it was on channel 57. Plenty of confusion seems to be abound as to whether channel 34 will show ESPN tomorrow or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Also I wonder where the caption on ESPN is. Anybody tuning in who doesn't know what has happened will be presented with a blank screen - shouldn't it be advising that ESPN is "no longer available via an aerial", like the Sky Sports channels did?

It is slightly puzzling that ESPN points at an MHEG stream that doesn't actually exist.
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    None of it really makes much sense at the moment. Given the use of LCN's 57 to 59, why would BT use 57 for the promo rather than 59? Assuming they are going to lose LCN 57 at some point.

Indeed!!! Anyway a freebie from them on Freeview.
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Before it moved mux it was tagged as an encrypted channel. The "new" 57 isn't.

Perhaps to enable YouView boxes to "see" channel 57? After all, if someone has got a YouView box but not BT Infinity, they might be persuaded to switch ISPs?