Vodafone to charge pay as you go customers per minute for calls

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Vodafone will soon charge its pay-as-you-go customers by the minute rather than the second - a move that will raise the cost of most calls.It means a call lasting one minute and one second will now be charged as two minutes - costing 50p instead of 25p.The phone network said the change - which comes into force from 1 August - would "simplify" charges for its customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23240421

Comments

• BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking, when Three are charging 3ppm.

My advice would be dump them, and make sure you get a PAC code so they know they have lost you.

NONE of the big four (o2, Voda, T mobile, Orange) offer vaguely decent prices on PAYG right now.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah the old "simplification" - the favourite word of all of the mobile networks when they want to have a price hike without using those vile words.

Is there a reason to stay with Vodafone? They are never the cheapest and their network isn't special enough to justify their prices (3G coverage that rivals O2 for example).
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rip off merchants.

I think the likes of 3, Giffgaff, Tesco and Asda will soon overtake as top Payg provider soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda mobile is much cheaper and uses the Vodafone network. ;)
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Asda mobile is much cheaper and uses the Vodafone network. ;)

Asda Moblie is ok 10p a min to call all networks not bad if you only make a few calls.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People must be crazy, just jump ship to Three, 3p per minute is a game changer and their all in one add ons are great value too.

Some of my friends have jumped ship from O2/Orange already
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The majority of people who use Vodafone Pay As You Talk are those who use Vodafone family,Free weekends and Freebies.

The people effected by this are light users who probably create Vodafone a loss. My suggestion is give up your mobile if you make less than 2 calls a week and take up BT Basic for landline which you can now add BT Broadband and use public payphones for outdoor use and/or a BT Chargecard which can be used from any phone including abroad!

Beware before changing networks as i'm sure other networks round calls to the next minute and/or charge a minimum of one minute.

Virgin Media and Orange i'm sure they scrapped per second charges on pay as you go long ago.

As for 3, cheap equals crap and something bad always springs out of no where with them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of people who use Vodafone Pay As You Talk are those who use Vodafone family,Free weekends and Freebies.

The people effected by this are light users who probably create Vodafone a loss. My suggestion is give up your mobile if you make less than 2 calls a week and take up BT Basic for landline which you can now add BT Broadband and use public payphones for outdoor use and/or a BT Chargecard which can be used from any phone including abroad!

Beware before changing networks as i'm sure other networks round calls to the next minute and/or charge a minimum of one minute.

Virgin Media and Orange i'm sure they scrapped per second charges on pay as you go long ago.

As for 3, cheap equals crap and something bad always springs out of no where with them

Cheap doesn't always mean crap.

If I buy a brand named product at TK Maxx and another place is selling it for 75% more why is the version at TK Maxx any worse?

Too many people use Three's past against them.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually the majority of vodafone pay as you talk customers have likely been on the network for years and just never considered changing. Three are cheaper than the other 3 main networks [EE,O2,Vodafone] but they have the 2nd best network for coverage and data speeds in the UK. Vodafone and O2 have yet to prove themselves to me and I imagine to a lot of people worth paying premium prices for. If they sort themselves out and deliver a strong network to there customers then it will be another thing neither yet has that. I want them to succeed because competition is needed for both development of networks and choices for customers.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck on finding a payphone.

I am going to get my Dad a mobile phone when he starts going out on his Scooter again, just in case. don't matter how little he uses it and it should not matter either.

3 is not very good around here to be honest, but saying that Vodafone seems to be having some problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I buy a brand named product at TK Maxx and another place is selling it for 75% more why is the version at TK Maxx any worse?

3 have never been great around here and still seems to be the same. they have not expanded much here to be honest.
    I have got a old three phone and may get a sim for it to see if it have improved.
    Forum Member

Dead centre of London and when they ended 2G back up in 2011, the phone became pointless, it also had to be returned several times. Anyway, I tried to cancel and they kept showering me with discounts. Discounts are no good as I have no signal!

Problem still exists, all my friends are leaving them.

O2 and Vodafone 2G is reliable, from basements to middle of no where you will get some sort of coverage.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that 3 are crap they are just sharks they wouldn't accept a cancellation from my dad last year and ended up offering him a deal which was quoted at £17 per month on a 12 month contract with a crap free phone then when he checked the bill it was £35 and he was on a 24 month contract they kept saying he agreed to it then they listened into the call and tried to play it back to him and he couldn't hear anything.

They may be cheap but you get what you pay for!

Vodafone all the way for me they are reliable, friendly when you phone up and coverage is great for me.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at Giff Gaff which use the O2 network, £10 a month gives you 250 minutes to any network, 1gb data and unlimited texts.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Look at Giff Gaff which use the O2 network, £10 a month gives you 250 minutes to any network, 1gb data and unlimited texts.

Unfortunately it runs on the O2 network
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Vodafone 3G coverage is a joke and so is O2's. But I'll give you this, if all you did was made phone calls and text then stay with either as they do have good 2G coverage, but I believe they represent a relic of the past. We're now well within the information age; 2G networks just don't cut it anymore...
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    i personally have found Vodafone to be the worst of the lot. poor coverage and customer service. i wouldnt blame anyone for leaving them they offer nothing special and what they do offer is so over priced. Most of the mvno's offer better value for money and better customer service
    i think vodafone work on the philosophy that been expensive your getting somthing better but people are seeing through this. o2 seem to think this too.
    Their only doing it to get their money back on what they have spent on 4g.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »

yeah, that is my problem with them as well. Well the O2 network is pretty good here, or it was a few years back, we did not part on very good terms and is yet another company i will not touch again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    booie wrote: »
    i personally have found Vodafone to be the worst of the lot. poor coverage and customer service. i wouldnt blame anyone for leaving them they offer nothing special and what they do offer is so over priced. Most of the mvno's offer better value for money and better customer service
    i think vodafone work on the philosophy that been expensive your getting somthing better but people are seeing through this. o2 seem to think this too.
    Their only doing it to get their money back on what they have spent on 4g.

I don't think any of them is great these days, years ago vodafone used to be one of the better ones, but like the other networks, they just try to get away with doing as little as they can.
    if a cell have problems they seem to take weeks in getting it working again, I don't think the others are much better if any to be honest by all accounts.
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »

It's owned by O2.

O2,Tesco,Tchibo(Germany) and GiffGaff and formerly BE are trading brands of Telefonica O2. More may follow in order to maintain market share.

O2's aim to succeed EE, this would be embarrassing for EE if O2 catches up with them so soon after the merge. EE's market share is dropping gradually, the future of EE fixed services is uncertain.
    Forum Member
    I agree that 3 are crap they are just sharks they wouldn't accept a cancellation from my dad last year and ended up offering him a deal which was quoted at £17 per month on a 12 month contract with a crap free phone then when he checked the bill it was £35 and he was on a 24 month contract they kept saying he agreed to it then they listened into the call and tried to play it back to him and he couldn't hear anything.

They may be cheap but you get what you pay for!

Vodafone all the way for me they are reliable, friendly when you phone up and coverage is great for me.

Sainsbury's is launching its mobile service on the Vodafone network later this month and will offer something similar to 3-2-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead centre of London and when they ended 2G back up in 2011, the phone became pointless, it also had to be returned several times. Anyway, I tried to cancel and they kept showering me with discounts. Discounts are no good as I have no signal!

Problem still exists, all my friends are leaving them.

O2 and Vodafone 2G is reliable, from basements to middle of no where you will get some sort of coverage.

I don't believe they are worried though as they are the fastest growing mobile network in Europe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone aren't worried really they own nearly half of biggest network in america and own second/first biggest in germany. I think they want to improve in the UK and think it is completely possible they could catch up with O2 if they pull the cards right.
    Forum Member
    I don't believe they are worried though as they are the fastest growing mobile network in Europe

Its a hype, once peoples contracts come to an end, we will see. 3 Italy, popular because its cheap in a country with high unemployment, same in Ireland.

But it will end somewhere. Just like Mercury One2one.

All the money spent building the networks for 3p calls, I don't think so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a hype, once peoples contracts come to an end, we will see. 3 Italy, popular because its cheap in a country with high unemployment, same in Ireland.

But it will end somewhere. Just like Mercury One2one.

All the money spent building the networks for 3p calls, I don't think so

i think it safe to say you think anything which looks to good is to good and honestly I thought that of Three at first but I think it obvious what they are trying to do and think they will succeed. They are trying to make themselves a contender similar in a way to UKIP is people thought of them as idiots/loons but they have slowly gained. Now are seen as potential rivals.