What If the Time Lords Were Never Wiped Out

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
When reviving Doctor who, RTD made the decision to kill off every single Time Lord (and Dalek) in an off-screen war that has been implied to be one of the most horrible things ever.

Since then, the Doctor, the very last one, the one who wiped them out, has been alone in the universe as the sole survivor of a once great and powerful race. His solidarity and guilt over this has played a role in the Doctor's character since the revival.

But what if RTD had decided to not kill them off? How would their presence in the revival be treated? How would this affect existing stories? What sort of stories could have been created from them? With no more Time War, how would Daleks, the Master, and Davros been introduced to the New Series? Would characters like Romana, Susan, or even Leela or the Rani be more likely to return?

Comments

• vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    When reviving Doctor who, RTD made the decision to kill off every single Time Lord (and Dalek) in an off-screen war that has been implied to be one of the most horrible things ever.

Since then, the Doctor, the very last one, the one who wiped them out, has been alone in the universe as the sole survivor of a once great and powerful race. His solidarity and guilt over this has played a role in the Doctor's character since the revival.

But what if RTD had decided to not kill them off? How would their presence in the revival be treated? How would this affect existing stories? What sort of stories could have been created from them? With no more Time War, how would Daleks, the Master, and Davros been introduced to the New Series? Would characters like Romana, Susan, or even Leela or the Rani be more likely to return?

Neither the Daleks (who would appear in every series to date) or the Time Lords were killed off, they were simply locked in a Time Lock... both are pretty much alive. Daleks in particular managed to escape and rebuild.

I don't see that much of a difference to be fair, perhaps only when Davros stole the Earth and planned mass destruction was there any need for The Doctor to ask for help. Instead of the Shadow Proclaimation, it would have been the Time Lords.
    Perhaps additional stories would have occurred, being summoned by the Time Lords to carry out their work and of course The Master wouldn't be that insane upon his return either.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    Neither the Daleks (who would appear in every series to date) or the Time Lords were killed off, they were simply locked in a Time Lock... both are pretty much alive. Daleks in particular managed to escape and rebuild.

I don't see that much of a difference to be fair, perhaps only when Davros stole the Earth and planned mass destruction was there any need for The Doctor to ask for help. Instead of the Shadow Proclaimation, it would have been the Time Lords.
    Perhaps additional stories would have occurred, being summoned by the Time Lords to carry out their work and of course The Master wouldn't be that insane upon his return either.

I'm sure they are dead, the time lock simply stops anyone from getting there and changing the course of events.

I've often wondered how a time lock works tbh and who set it!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »

I've often wondered how a time lock works tbh and who set it!

Yes he did.
  • Mike_DalbyMike_Dalby Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yes he did.

Very good! :-D

In answer to the OP, it's an interesting question. And, in my opinion, highlights one of RTD's better decisions.

The idea of making him 'one of a kind' or a loner, similar to the original concept in 63, enabled the writers and production team to shed some baggage and free up the storytelling which had become a bit bogged down by the 80's with Timelord politics, power-play, and precedent (although I was personally quite fond of all that).

Plus I think it's human nature to support, and want to get to know someone who is lonely/alone.

I can't imagine the stories with the Timelords still around... I suspect they could have been brought back with the Doctor an elusive renegade again, without too much difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I love it when there is some reference made to him 'wiping out the daleks'. Yup, except for that one. Oh and that small group. And that mothership full of them. And...oh Christ, there are millions of them, in control of 12 planets and they appear to be flying around in space. He was about as successful at wiping out the daleks as Sauron was at wiping out the Hobbits.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think the inclusion of the Time War has been a healthy decision for the show, and I wouldn't see it changed. It's been back for eight years, and we've seen just one story involving a multitude of Timelords. That's pretty good going I think, and illustrates how the show is diverse to go on without returning to the same or similar aspsects all the time. Admittedly the Daleks were a tad overused between Series 1 and 5 but that has more to do with re-establishing them with a younger audience than anything else I think, and it has been calmed down in recent years :)
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    If there's anything that's been overused more than the sonic screwdriver its RTD's other crutch, the time war