Best Laptop for under £300?

Hey guys,

I have an auntie who wants to buy my cousin his first laptop for christmas, as he's going to start needing one for school.

Pretty much all he will be doing on it is playing Minecraft, doing school work on Microsoft Office and browsing the web.

Their budget is £300, but if you find anything very slightly over, they may be convinced to go up, if it's worth it.

I am really struggling to find a good laptop for that price though, so far it is between the following.

Asus X551CA

Asus X502

Compaq PDC

HP255

Toshiba Satellite Pro C50-A15-L

HP ProBook 4545s

Lenovo G505

From what I can see, the HP ProBook 4545s looks the best spec, and is also made out of aluminium so should be solid.

Anyone know of anything else, or got any suggestions regarding my current finds?

Help appreciated :)

Comments

• Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think 'refurbished', 2nd user and look for the many bargains on offer in PC World, Ebay, Dell, HP and others.

Buy carefully and get a 12 month old laptop that originally sold for £600-1000 within your budget.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »

Pretty much all he will be doing on it is playing Minecraft, doing school work on Microsoft Office and browsing the web.

I'm sure you're aware that Microsoft Office is not a free program but several free alternatives are available.

This site is useful for student software
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&taxon=&keywords=office
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of good ThinkPad X200 s laptops on ebay for £200 or less. They usually come with Windows 7. Then just put some good free office software such as LibreOffice on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Yes we already have a copy of Office anyway, so that's fine.

They don't want to go second hand, they want to go new, so if you could give suggestions for new laptops, I'd appreciate :)