Opinion on problem with our dog

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
We have a 13 year old Giant Schnauzer. Over the last few weeks he has struggled with his hind legs as if his hips are going but he doesn't seem in any pain.

I started giving him metacam and he seemed to be loads better and happier although still struggling with his back legs.

Tonight he looked like his back legs had gone altogether and we had to lift him up.

We left him for a little while and then he did shuffle along a little bit.

We going to get him to the vets tomorrow but I'm petrified of what they will say with him being old or a big dog.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No advice to give, just hope your dog is OK. A similar thing happened to a friend of ours' collie cross on NYE, had to rush him to the emergency vet, get morphine etc., cost a fortune and the bugger is as right as rain now (he's 13 as well) so hopefully your old man will pull through.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    no experience with this , just wanted to wish you good luck.

Hugs for you all xx
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem with my english springer, we had to have him put to sleep as I am disabled and couldn't lift him up. He had lost control of his bowels as well. He looked into my eyes just before he was put to sleep, I knew I was doing the right thing- he was a very proud dog, and he hated not being able to walk without help.

I wish you luck and sending my thoughts your way. I still miss Milo like hell- he was my baby in my eyes
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    The most important things to keep your pet mobile are

(a) keep the weight down. Underweight, even, if there is a genetic predisposition to arthritis.

(b) exercise off-lead every day without fail

I would imagine that the vet will suggest a blood test to ensure that the vital organs are functioning well. Good luck.
  • Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vet has said give him metacam and tremadol for pain relief. All about prolonging quality of life now. Vet said we should consider having full set of blood tests but I'm not sure. Got to take him back next Monday
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our german shepherds went weak on their back ends when they got old too
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope your dog is ok, but we owe it to our canine friends not to let them suffer.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on his overall health and fitness, you could consider some gentle hydrotherapy alongside meds and supplements. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well our beloved dog is going to be put to sleep on Friday. I am absolutely dreading it. Has anyone been through this before? What happens?
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    Well our beloved dog is going to be put to sleep on Friday. I am absolutely dreading it. Has anyone been through this before? What happens?

It's very quick. If you don't want to be in the room when they give them the "put to sleep" medicine, they can take them to a side room and administer it, and then bring them back to you if thats what you want, or you can stay with them the whole time.

Any decent vet will ask you how you want to play it, and then go about things how you want to. If they don't ask you, tell them how you want it to go, he's your dog, and you have every right to have a say in things.

They just go to sleep and stop breathing, so it's very swift and painless, then you will be able to say what you want done with him, whether you want to take him away and bury him, or whatever else you have planned. If you haven't thought about things, it's best to think about that now. If you are bringing him right home to bury him, then just be aware that you will probably need to get him into the ground sooner rather than later. I hope you understand what I mean by that.

Big hugs, you're doing the best thing for him, however hard it might be, or however painful it feels now. xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I`ve been through this trauma a few times over the years. I`m sorry your pet has to move on.

Basically the vet shaves a bit of fur off the front paw and they are injected in this area. The injection stops the heart and the whole procedure is over very quickly. Your dog will fall asleep.
    The vet will listen with stethoscope to make sure the heart has stopped/
    You have the choice of having this done at home or at the vet. I hope that you will have someone with you.

I stayed with each one of my dogs when it was their time. The vet will leave you for a short time with your pet afterwards.

Have you thought whether you want your pet cremated or are you taking him home to bury in the garden.

The way I have written this seems very blunt but this is the only way I can think of describing what happens. Apart from my dogs I have also had three cats p.t.s. It is very hard to go through but when our animals need our help we have to be strong. I`ll be thinking of you. God bless.
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry to hear this Loobs.

We had to have our beloved Amber, (13+ GSP) put to sleep on 27th November.

We chose to have it done at home, so as not to stress her and then took her to a private pet crematorium the same day, so that we new it was just our baby we were bringing home.

I really feel for you, in fact I'm crying now, try and be strong.

Hugs for you all xx
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid I had quite a few dogs PTS over the years, lucky all of them were a good age, (not that it makes any easier), but in my case I stayed with the dogs and they were giving a injection in the neck that made them unconcious, then we left the room for the vet to administer the lethal one. We found it better this way, the dog was not in pain, and did not notice then what was happening.
    I am thinking of you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am absolutely dreading it
    Forum Member
    Thinking of you xx
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it goes OK today the best thing you can do is be there and make sure he's relaxed.

It's so sad :( but for the best.
  • ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Thinking of you. xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Hope you're okay and all in our house are thinking of you. xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my god how do I get over this, I've not stopped thinking about him since and crying. It doesn't help that my little dog looks like a lost soul without him, he keeps wandering round looking for him and has hardly eaten anything.
    I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow and leaving him.

I can't get rid of this numb feeling and I can't get the vision out of my head of him being put to sleep!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @loobs: You did your best for him, take some solace in that. Time will help, but don't rush things and give yourselves time to grieve.
    Forum Member
    Oh Loobs, its been 9 weeks since my baby went and, like you, it is impossible to get out of my head.

Tears flow daily, but, I do catch myself sometimes smiling when I think of the times we shared.

I'm hoping this will become more regular, but for now its "little steps"

Cry when you need to, but always remember you did the right thing.

Big hugs for you and your other little boy. xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Big hugs from me too. It must be one of the hardest things in the world for us mum and dads to go through. It will take time, take care of yourself and your wee one. x
    Forum Member
    Hi Loobs, just popped in to say I'm still thinking of you. x
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    Oh my god how do I get over this, I've not stopped thinking about him since and crying. It doesn't help that my little dog looks like a lost soul without him, he keeps wandering round looking for him and has hardly eaten anything.
    You start determinedly focussing on all the good times and - if you have them - looking at photos of a happy, energetic, healthy dog.

You have to manage your sadness because you have another dog who - like most animals - will pick up on your sadness and perhaps have his own unsettled feelings increased. He knows his life has changed and he needs you happy and calm to reassure him.

You need to - hard as it is and we had our own lovely dog put to sleep two weeks ago - appreciate the friendship you had and accept that we outlive our companion animals... ideally.

Think about all the good times... it's what I've been doing.

Good luck. I know - many of us do - how hard it is.