Headphones, good enough for watching TV?

Just came across these http://www.tesco.com/direct/jvc-over...skuId=739-1126

I sometimes watch stuff on the laptop while the OH is watching the TV, currently have in-ear headphones but during quieter parts of my programme I can hear the TV and find it annoying.

Didn't really want to pay out a lot.

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    Link doesn't work for me.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your link doesn't seem to work for me. I'm guessing you're looking at JVC headphones???

Anyway, the reason you can hear some sound from outside is to do with how well the earphones/headphones seal out that noise. That's partly to do with the seal between the 'phone and the head/ear. It's also to do with the type of 'phone.

"Closed back" headphones/earphones get their name because there is only one exit for the sound. This is towards the listener. The trade-off is bass response. It is much harder to get midrange and bass from a closed back design that the other type: open back. This is the kind of 'phone is leaky; both inwards and outwards. For example, you can hear people's music when they are sat near you playing their tunes.

What you want is the best closed-back type 'phones you can get for what you are prepared to spend. If you won't spend a reasonable amount then the compromises are poorer mid- and bass response along with more intrusion of outside noise.

Get up to speed on sound isolating earphones here
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry about the link, it's the JVC Overhead Headphones HA-SR500-B I was looking at.

Will have a look at your link, thanks for the info.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also see Noise Cancelling Headphones, these use an active amplifier to cancel external noise.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=310193011
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Brady12 wrote: »
    Sorry about the link, it's the JVC Overhead Headphones HA-SR500-B I was looking at.

Will have a look at your link, thanks for the info.

I prefer headphones that enclose the entire ear when I watch films, TV shows on my computer. As you could be wearing them for long periods, comfort is paramount. The weight of the product is not so important as you won't be walking or running around. These JVC'S are likely to sound fine but I suspect the may become uncomfortable after using for an hour in one sitting. If however you plan to where them outside when commuting or at he gym, they might be ideal. Alo consider how long the cord should be.

I use these below just to watch movies etc on my desktop computer, they sound good and re very comfortable with a nice long cord.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-202-Closed-Headphone/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1363449133&sr=1-2
  • Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I have some turtle beech surround headphones for ps3 games but they are great for films and TV and block out external noise well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some turtle beech surround headphones for ps3 games but they are great for films and TV and block out external noise well.
    Over on the broadcasting forum you said you never watch TV, which is why you don't need a TV licence...