LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The white Nexus 4 was launched in North America today, it will roll out to the UK and Europe in the next few weeks apparently...

Interestingly it's being billed as a "limited edition" and comes with a free white bumper...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/white-nexus-4-available/
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the Nexus 4 ( White or original ) will be the last LG made unit as Google have announced the next model will be made by the Google owned Motorola .
    Really unusual bit is it will be made in USA - don't know where the individual components will be sourced from -- but I could guess LOL .

Get your nexus 4 while you can , its going to be a classic .
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    Looks like the Nexus 4 ( White or original ) will be the last LG made unit as Google have announced the next model will be made by the Google owned Motorola. Really unusual bit is it will be made in USA - don't know where the individual components will be sourced from -- but I could guess LOL .

Get your nexus 4 while you can , its going to be a classic .

Why would that make it a classic?
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Why would that make it a classic?

Well N4 is a superb piece of kit and sometimes when a new version ( particularly when its made by a new manufacturer ) the replacement is not as good as the original .
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The suggestion that the X phone will replace the nexus 4 is just a rumour, and one which people have hinted is incorrect. Google have said Motorola will be treated like any other manufacturer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sundar Pichai head of Android and Chrome has already said that the Nexus series is continuing.

The Motorola X may be sold on the Play Store, but if anything I think it will be alongside any future Nexus devices. A new Nexus 7 is definitely on the horizon, so I wouldn't be surprised if a new Nexus 4 was as well. The success of this series has been increasing quite a lot recently.

Google will do anything to get stock Android more widespread which is why Motorola will be releasing stock devices this year, there are Google Editions of the Galaxy S4 and HTC One and there will be future Nexus devices. Their aim is to have as many Android devices out there as possible.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Google will do anything to get stock Android more widespread

It is the likes of HTC thinking they can get maybe more sales with 'stock'.

Personally I think Nexus and 'stock' are way overhyped. The Optimus 4X could be bought at a similar price and is certainly my preferred of the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Personally I think Nexus and 'stock' are way overhyped. The Optimus 4X could be bought at a similar price and is certainly my preferred of the two.

LG's Optimus UI is horrible and so laggy. Stock Android may seem plain, but it's incredibly smooth and uncluttered and feels distinctly more "Google" rather than the Fisher Price fake iOS look of Samsung's Touchwiz, or the cluttered and junky look of HTC's Sense which admittedly is still one of the better Android UIs.

HTC have always been a big supporter of Android, they produced the very first commercial Android device as well as the first Nexus device. I don't think sales is the primary motivation, more propagation than anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC have always been a big supporter of Android, they produced the very first commercial Android device as well as the first Nexus device.
    Obvious candidates. They probably produced the vast majority of Win CE stuff in its day.

Whatever the label, it was probably HTC inside.
    I'm not even going to comments on 'anything but stock is the enemy' stuff.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good for you.
    However I have seen the N4 dancing around in a wedding dress singing "je m'apelle 4X".

Seriously though a tegra 3 and 1gb over a s4 pro and 2gb?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Seriously though a tegra 3 and 1gb over a s4 pro and 2gb?
    Referring to an LG versus a Nexus LG.

Same screen, just happens that the LG is memory upgradable.
    The MHL/HDMI, price is another bonus.
    Yes that snapdragon has its advantages yet it has no 5th companion core.
    It is no doubt the companion core that means standby battery life doubles.

All preferences. Like 'cheap plastic' is/was for the certainty of good phone and GPS reception.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All preferences. Like 'cheap plastic' is/was for the certainty of good phone and GPS reception.

My Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM and its much slower than my Nexus 4, it's not even close.
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member

Cheap plastic is for no other reason than cheapness. Nokia and HTC have shown how to do good quality plastic phones whilst Samsung continue to peddle shite.

Back to the 4x. Yes if you need expandable storage you would pick it. But it is an inferior product to the N4 in every way. LG based it on the 4x replacement the Optimus G. Do you think LG would make a worse phone? As for the Tegra 3 having better battery life than a S4 pro, well I am honestly amazed that someone would make this claim on this forum. Are we not supposed to know these kinds of things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap plastic is for no other reason than....

for good wifi, GPS, bluetooth and phone network reception
    SD cards in phones have also received a better reception than USB memory sticks.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    for good wifi, GPS, bluetooth and phone network reception,

No need for it to be cheap plastic though - take a look at something like a Lumia 800 - that's plastic but very high quality at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the Tegra 3 having better battery life than a S4 pro, well I am honestly amazed that someone would make this claim on this forum. Are we not supposed to know these kinds of things?
    The companion chip obviously.

Standby on the 4x is 696 or 730 hours whilst on the Nexus 4 it is a maximum of 390 hours.

Not quite double but very noticeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    No need for it to be cheap plastic though - take a look at something like a Lumia 800 - that's plastic but very high quality at the same time.

Yet we know 'cheap plastic' on the whole is a cheap jingle insult in order to flog 'crap failing stuff'.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yet we know 'cheap plastic' on the whole is a cheap jingle insult in order to flog 'crap failing stuff'.

You've lost me there :confused:
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    The companion chip obviously.

Standby on the 4x is 696 or 730 hours whilst on the Nexus 4 it is a maximum of 390 hours.

Not quite double but very noticeable.
    How often do you leave a phone on standby more a week or more? Also, tegra3 is 40nm vs S4 Pro's 28nm transistors so it uses less power.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-(APQ8064)-vs-Nvidia-Tegra-3-(T33)

Is a pretty good comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often do you leave a phone on standby more a week or more?
    Obviously never with that Nexus 4.

With the HDMI, SD slot, and matching price I for one certainly would prefer the LG. Each to their own.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Obviously never with that Nexus 4.

With the HDMI, SD slot, and matching price I for one certainly would prefer the LG. Each to their own.
    Different strokes for different folks but it is a fact that the S4 pro with Adreno 320 is far superior to the tegra chip set. Also, it wasn't until recently that the O4x got JB and it's still only 4.1!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on Google 4.3 cant be far away now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC have always been a big supporter of Android, they produced the very first commercial Android device as well as the first Nexus device. I don't think sales is the primary motivation, more propagation than anything else.

They were a big supporter of Win CE and CE embedded(a reduced price build of CE Microsoft sectioned off). I think HTC produced a majority of OEM devices. My Fujitsu is a HTC.

That production heritage certainly gave them a head start.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were a big supporter of Win CE and CE embedded(a reduced price build of CE Microsoft sectioned off). I think HTC produced a majority of OEM devices. My Fujitsu is a HTC.

That production heritage certainly gave them a head start.

they made a lot of crap too though to be honest.
    all the O2 XDA devices were made by HTC.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Come on Google 4.3 cant be far away now!

Think there is some announcement on the 24th July from Google from Androids head developer.

Edit:- yeah...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/17/4531906/google-hosting-android-event-july-24

4.3 has already been leaked a week or so ago for the Nexus 4.