Series 8 Confirmed

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find more strange is that it follows on from the 2013 xmas special, which actually means we are half a series down due to the split in series 7.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 8 is absolutely, definitely... 100% confirmed.

Couldn't resist :D
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    What I find more strange is that it follows on from the 2013 xmas special, which actually means we are half a series down due to the split in series 7.

We where always going to be half a series behind to what we have been used to. I think that's what a lot of people are questioning when series 8 will start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Staring jenna louise Coleman but not matt smith sorry but surely tge lack of his name is a spoiler in itself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean the story follows on from Christmas or the series will start in probably March time like this year? I am thinking the story carries on as there isn't really enough time to film a first half of a series so I am thinking September. The trouble is there will be a new pre Strictly Come Dancing show so it will either come before or after that
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    These reports often infuriatingly start with direct quotes from the interviewee but finish by saying something that's not a quote. Lulling you into thinking things were said that actually weren't.

"Series eight will then follow 2013's Christmas special."

Where did this bit of the report come from? Is it something Moffat said during that interview last night? What does it mean? Soon after? A little while after? A long while after?

There was a spate of this when people misquoted Jenna as saying filming for series 8 starts in September. Someone reported that she had said something that meant it, without direct quotes. Her actual words when you heard them said no such thing.

Anyhoo - good news. It's taking up most of his time. Let's hope cameras roll this side of Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staring jenna louise Coleman but not matt smith sorry but surely tge lack of his name is a spoiler in itself

It's nothing that we didn't know before .Jenna has mentioned that she will be in series 8 before and just as before Matt's involvement in it has not been confirmed or denied yet.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »

Where was it ever stated that we would always get one complete series of 13/14 episodes each and every year?

To my knowledge, it hasn't been stated thus, and therefore no-one is half a series down (unless you wish to subscribe to the entitlement culture that seems increasingly prevalent).
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Where was it ever stated that we would always get one complete series of 13/14 episodes each and every year?

To my knowledge, it hasn't been stated thus, and therefore no-one is half a series down (unless you wish to subscribe to the entitlement culture that seems increasingly prevalent).

Nowhere, other than that the custom and practice of the first 4 years, then Matt's first season, were 13 episodes + Xmas and so created an established norm with an associated degree of expectation.

What is this entitlement culture of what you speak and what are other manifestations...entitlement to political freedom, a parents love, the cuddliness of puppies??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because they haven't mentioned Matt doesn't mean he isn't staying they might just be holding back either way as they have the 50th coming up so they don't want to spoil anything which might happen
    Forum Member

The showrunner said it. He said they would be making the opposite of a reduction in the number of episodes. So, yes - it has been said. It does seem that this wasn't exactly a brilliant thing to promise and, in any case, for whatever reason, they haven't in the end been able to do that. Regardless - it was stated thus. Goodness knows why.

I do, though, think it's time that people got used to the idea that - regardless of who said what, when and why - the last two years have shown us that it's difficult to know how many episodes are planned or for when.

The previous showrunner set an expectation among the audience that when they intend to deviate from 13/14 a year they will tell us roughly what to expect and why. Again, it seems time for everyone to get used to the fact that this isn't how they currently do things - possibly because the circumstances of 2009 were settled further in advance allowing them the luxury of clear communication. Or possibly because they were better at it.

Either way - for the time being something is stopping them give more precise information for now. All we can do is wait. It was June 2011 before the BBC formally announced series 7. It's still only May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said "each and every year".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news... Hopefully Moffat can iron out the few problems this 2nd half of the series has had (imho)

Would be nice to see a few 2 parters back in series 8! ;)
    Forum Member
    I said "each and every year".

When someone says they intend to make the opposite of a reduction in episodes there is a middle ground between "each and every year" and "not at all, not even once". ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    When someone says they intend to make the opposite of a reduction in episodes there is a middle ground between "each and every year" and "not at all, not even once". ;)

It depends upon the timeframe that you are observing - be it 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months etc, and whether you are looking at calendar years on otherwise.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    ...entitlement to the cuddliness of puppies??

Damn those puppies with the skin akin to a cheese graters, and damn chronology for the potentially huge gap between the xmas special and series 8 (or 8A as it will presumably be called) :mad:
    Forum Member
    It depends upon the timeframe that you are observing - be it 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months etc, and whether you are looking at calendar years on otherwise.

And if the producer starts relying on "ah! But I didn't say how long it would take you to see them all!" then we'll all know he's completely lost the plot and the precarious line between the actual real world and fantasy spin land. He said it. For whatever reason they haven't done it. Time to admit defeat on that one and move on.

Fingers crossed for something approaching a more normal season in 2014.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It is real and it's happening - it's [taking up] most of my time at the moment."

All of 10 mins then, still thats 5 mins more that he spent writing Series 7.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he can write the highest rated episodes of the series in 5 minutes, we're in for a treat with those 10!
  • steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad we're getting Jenna back for Series 8, also glad we're getting a series 8 full stop.

But.........a bit of a strange announcement this.

I mean, at no point did I ever really think that series 8 wasn't going to happen, nor that Jenna wouldn't be involved. It's MS's status that is the elephant in the room here.

The only time the airing of a new-who series has ever really been In doubt was mid 2011 when there was a bit of a hoo-haa over whether there would be any DW in 2012.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I really think we're getting a new Doctor now.

But at least we definitely have Clara for Series 8.
    Forum Member
    Glad we're getting Jenna back for Series 8, also glad we're getting a series 8 full stop.

But.........a bit of a strange announcement this.

I mean, at no point did I ever really think that series 8 wasn't going to happen, nor that Jenna wouldn't be involved. It's MS's status that is the elephant in the room here.

The only time the airing of a new-who series has ever really been In doubt was mid 2011 when there was a bit of a hoo-haa over whether there would be any DW in 2012.

It's rather like the fanfare that was made about Moffat's enthusiastic forthright "revelation" there will be a Christmas Special in 2013. As if there was previously a huge doubt across the land about such a thing. Even though there weren't many people who actually thought there wouldn't be. And Danny Cohen said in 2011 it's one of the most important episodes of the year. And Matt Smith had already spoken of the 2013 Christmas special.

But to be fair to him - it is his job to enthusiastically talk up what little he can mention of the future - especially when he's addressing people who don't necessarily read forums. It's just a shame for him that he hasn't got more he can announce just yet.

And again - the new news in what he said is that it is what he is currently spending most of his time on. Which is comforting.
  • steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although, just to chime in again, I like the spit scheule of the series now, mostly because it allows Matt's time on the show to be spread out over a longer period.

Based on the original airing schedule if he was doing 3 and a half series, he'd have been gone by May this year. If it was 4, he'd stil only have lasted till june.

Now though If he's doing 3.5 series, then he won't be handing over the tardis till late next year. If it's 4, he won't be gone till early 2015!
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    The showrunner said it. He said they would be making the opposite of a reduction in the number of episodes. So, yes - it has been said. It does seem that this wasn't exactly a brilliant thing to promise and, in any case, for whatever reason, they haven't in the end been able to do that. Regardless - it was stated thus. Goodness knows why..

Source and actual quote? As I never saw anything from Moffat saying that.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member

Not really. It's only cos JLC mentioned she was doing series 8, BBC themselves have confirmed no cast as yet. Matt Smith says he takes it year by year.