Damages S4 - does BBC have the rights?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
Forum Member
It's about midway through in the US but haven't heard anything about a UK run? Think it would suit a 10pm run on BBC 2/4 I'm really looking forward to it.

Similarly, any news about a S5?

Comments

• Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen anything about this.

The BBC didn't seem to like this programme as they kept moving it all over the place. Now it's being made by a new TV channel in the US I would have thought the BBC would have to come to a new deal for it to be shown here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    It's still the same production/distribution company so that shouldn't be any problem. Everyone complains about Sky etc but at least they keep us updated about these things.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Surprised it hasn't been poached by Sky for showing on Sky Atlantic.

The Beeb isn't exactly awash with cash at the moment. Plus it is getting bashed by the Daily Mail and co. for repeats and US imports. Wouldn't be surprised if Damages doesn't find its way back to the Beeb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

The Beeb isn't exactly awash with cash at the moment. Plus it is getting bashed by the Daily Mail and co. for repeats and US imports. Wouldn't be surprised if Damages doesn't find its way back to the Beeb.

if it gets to the situation which happened with nurse jackie or house, then poached would be a harsh term and rescued would be a much better phrase.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a feeling that we'd be hanging around forever for S4 so I've been downloading which something I never thought I'd do but considering S2 & S3 aren't not even out to buy yet I don't want to not ever get the chance to see S4.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

How can Sky 'poach' something the BBC doesn't have the rights for?

Surely 'poaching' is stealing something that belongs to someone else?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Hope it gets here soon.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think i am right in saying that series 4 started later than usual, so that could account for the delay and when the first series was shown in july in the states the beeb didnt show it until the new year.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    How can Sky 'poach' something the BBC doesn't have the rights for?

Surely 'poaching' is stealing something that belongs to someone else?

In the real world it is, but in the anti-sky world if they acquire the rights to something they've "poached" it :)
    Forum Member
    Any further news on this? S4 is long gone now and still no news from BBC/anyone else?! They are prepping for the final S5 now.

Since Sony produce the series is it likely to pop up on the Sony TV channel if no one else is interested (which is surprising for such a high quality show - it has Sky Atlantic written all over it!)
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the three season boxset so I hope it gets a run. For those watching S4 US paced without spoilers is the quality still as high ?
    Forum Member
    I have heard it is so can't wait until it appears on UK TV - even if it's Sony TV?
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Seems an ideal match for Sky Atlantic if the BBC are no longer interested. Or maybe FX (Damages originated on the American FX after all).

It is strange that we have so many satellite channels, yet a fair few US shows still don't get shown over here. I can only think the rights holders are asking for unrealistic money.
    Forum Member
    Well Sony actually make the show now so I would think they would show it if no one else wants it (like has happened to the comedy Till Death).
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I think the season 4 DVD gets a Region 4 release on May 14th. That is according to Wikipedia - so take it with a pinch of salt.

Looks like the only way to legally obtain season 4 is via DVD! No one seems to want to pick up the broadcast rights!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Season 4 and I can indeed confirm that it is terrific. Such a shame that no UK broadcaster seems interested.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Season 4 and I can indeed confirm that it is terrific.

Is it better than 3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it better than 3?

Yes, much better actually. It's bordering on Season 1 good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Seems an ideal match for Sky Atlantic if the BBC are no longer interested. Or maybe FX (Damages originated on the American FX after all).

It is strange that we have so many satellite channels, yet a fair few US shows still don't get shown over here. I can only think the rights holders are asking for unrealistic money.

i agree, tbh i think theres probably enough decent shows missing that a whole new channel could be created and have as much new content as alot of other channels if not more.
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, much better actually. It's bordering on Season 1 good :)

Really?? I do hope so, S1 was some of the best tv I've ever seen. Can't wait if that's the case :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Did I imagine it, or did the universal channel also show it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunty571 wrote: »
    Did I imagine it, or did the universal channel also show it?

I think they did actually, so I guess there's a possibility they could pick it up.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they did actually, so I guess there's a possibility they could pick it up.

Yes they did, but i think they dropped it after season one. But here's hoping...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Yes they did, but i think they dropped it after season one. But here's hoping...

No they didn't. Because they have shown all 3 seasons, i know because i've seen it myself on Universal, although it was buried in the middle of the night usually after midnight. But i do think if BBC don't pick it up then Universal may be a good bet as they had first run rights after the BBC.

It's a shame Damages doesn't get the love it deserves when it comes to award season. Really is an excellent show albeit very much under-rated.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    No they didn't. Because they have shown all 3 seasons, i know because i've seen it myself on Universal, although it was buried in the middle of the night usually after midnight. But i do think if BBC don't pick it up then Universal may be a good bet as they had first run rights after the BBC.

It's a shame Damages doesn't get the love it deserves when it comes to award season. Really is an excellent show albeit very much under-rated.

Ok, I stand corrected, I always watched it on the BBC so I’m willing to accept I might be wrong.
    It hasn’t been on Universal (or Hallmark) for years though has it? Even repeats?

I agree with the above post, Sky Atlantic would be an ideal home for it.