Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    nice to see nando hit 18 goals, brilliant header for the second

still ridiculed by english fans but 18 goals is an alright record, certainly is not having a bad season

Say it as many times as you like, but he is having an atrocious season.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    nice to see nando hit 18 goals, brilliant header for the second

still ridiculed by english fans but 18 goals is an alright record, certainly is not having a bad season

On paper, that looks respectable. But those who have watched him, game after game, and seen how little he has contributed in most matches, are not impressed.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    19 goals in 52 appearances (Community Shield included).

Not atrocious (that's a word i'd use to describe Fleck/Sutton for us), but not great either. The problem's more with his general performances, he has far too many below par games where he's virtually anonymous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19 goals in 52 appearances (Community Shield included).

Not atrocious (that's a word i'd use to describe Fleck/Sutton for us), but not great either. The problem's more with his general performances, he has far too many below par games where he's virtually anonymous.

His total goal tally for Chelsea is 31 in 119. Slightly worse percentage-wise than Shevchenko who managed 22 in 77.
    But I agree, I could accept those figures if Torres was contributing more in general play.

I thought Gus Poyet made a reasonable point last night. He said that Chelsea fans should forget about the "old Torres", we are never going to see him playing at that level again. But he also said that Torres could still be a very useful player for us.
    My reply to that would be...fair enough, but for us to do that Torres needs to forget the past as well and adapt his game, so he is more involved for the whole 90 minutes.
    Forum Member
    His total goal tally for Chelsea is 31 in 119. Slightly worse percentage-wise than Shevchenko who managed 22 in 77.
    But I agree, I could accept those figures if Torres was contributing more in general play.

Yes, it's a strange one. His goal return has certainly improved this season compared to:

10/11 season: 1 goal in 18 appearances
    11/12 season: 11 goals in 49 appearances

But yet he seemed to be contributing more particularly last season in the way of assists and generally linking up etc. Saying that, I suspect a lot more of those appearances last season were as a sub so maybe it's hard to compare the goal tallies.
    I thought Gus Poyet made a reasonable point last night. He said that Chelsea fans should forget about the "old Torres", we are never going to see him playing at that level again. But he also said that Torres could still be a very useful player for us.
    My reply to that would be...fair enough, but for us to do that Torres needs to forget the past as well and adapt his game, so he is more involved for the whole 90 minutes.

I agree with that. Think we also need to forget that we paid £50m for him, and just look at him as a 3rd/4th choice striker next season if we don't manage to offload him in the summer. If Torres was only a 3rd/4th choice striker it wouldn't be such an issue if we had at least two good ones in front of him. The problem is that we're so reliant on him and he obviously doesn't cut it as a regular starter.
    Forum Member
    His performances are usually embarrassing to watch and the majority of the goals he scores have little effect on the results. You can't back him to score when the pressure is on. If he could combine this season goal totals with last seasons performances then he'd be having a 'very decent' season.

The good thing is that someone looking to sign him might not look too far beyond his goals total, so 18+ for the season doesn't look too bad.
    Forum Member
    As much as i think selling him would be best for both parties I just can't think who would take a gamble on him with his exorbitant wages (that he'd realistically consider joining). I see him either staying put or a Veron/Crespo/Shevchenko scenario happening.

Maybe you're right NinjyBear, and there's someone out there who hasn't paid much attention to our games but just looks at the goal tally! :p
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    19 goals, won the champions league, scored against barca in their back yard and won the european cup and the tournament golden boot with spain.

its not a bad cv of late.
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as others have said, Torres goal tally is not bad, however i bet the majority of those are in the Europa league / cups, and against lower opposition(if im right i think he scored 2 against brentford). However his goal tally in the Premier League is rubbish: 7 in 29.

His all round performances are poor and he isnt scoring when its needed usually. Ba is still looking good and deserves to start most games now. We need to get another top class striker in the Summer i reckon. Torres should go and bring back Lukaku. I think the most frustrating thing is he is terribly inconsistent. He looks lost and like he doesnt want to play the majority of games, then he shows the odd flash of determination and grit(like last night) which suggests he could get back to his best, but then he slips back to being shocking and lacking in confidence. Not sure why. But if he became more consistent and looked like he was giving his all in games then im sure we would like him a bit more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope the shirt lives up to the hype of the ad. Ad is pretty nice so job done building the tension.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2304607/Chelseas-stars-splattered-blue-paint-adidas-kit-advert.html
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think Mikel is the biggest weak link in our team.
    Torres has at least scored some important goals, but what does Mikel ever really do that any mediocre Prem player couldn't do?

I don't rate Rameires, but i can at least see that he has a great engine on him and every now and then does do something top class, but never with Mikel.

Also, i might be the only onward who thinks this, but i'd also be looking for someone defensively better than Ivanovich.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Ivanovic move on. Since the end of last season where he kept having random bursts of violence followed by a shocking performance at Liverpool.....still has good games, but hasn't recovered the form that made him so good before.

Kalas could probably slot in now and cover CB and RB.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I being cynical that if Mouro wont come if were out of top 4, that Rafa might have his own agenda?
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Am I being cynical that if Mouro wont come if were out of top 4, that Rafa might have his own agenda?

Yep. It's not like they'll offer the job to Rafa if we finish out of the top 4 and JM doesn't return so he'd gain nothing from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal's win today puts more pressure on us. In fact, looking at the upcoming fixtures, Arsenal look good for a top four place.
    I think it's going to be between Tottenham and ourselves for the remaining place. We have to win tomorrow, then our game against Spurs at home could decide it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, i think Arsenal are the most likely out of us 3 to get top 4 now. Tommorow feels like a must win. And i agree the Spurs at home game could well be the decider. Must win really.

Ive managed to get 2 tickets for the europa league final... for once im actually hoping we can get there now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doom-mongering on these threads for months waiting for our fixture-pile up/ weak squad depth to shaft our Champs League chances - I have to be honest I'm now sh*****g it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    I've been doom-mongering on these threads for months waiting for our fixture-pile up/ weak squad depth to shaft our Champs League chances - I have to be honest I'm now sh*****g it.

On the bright side, the bookies still make us favourites of the three. We are best priced at 2/5 to qualify, with Arsenal at 1/2 and Spurs at 11/10.
    Everton still quoted at 10/1 and Liverpool at 20/1.

If you wanted to make an easy £100, and have a spare £25,000 hanging around, you can still get Man City at 1/250. :)
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal are nailed on for 3rd. They never have the pressure of trying to win things as they never seem to go for trophies, just top four. A club with so little ambition really.
    If Everton win today they are right in it as well.
    I feared a while ago we won't make it and still have that feeling.
    It's typical that had we lost to United we would of been playing a much weaker Spurs next week.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dend wrote: »
    Agreed, i think Arsenal are the most likely out of us 3 to get top 4 now. Tommorow feels like a must win. And i agree the Spurs at home game could well be the decider. Must win really.

Ive managed to get 2 tickets for the europa league final... for once im actually hoping we can get there now :)

Sounds good. Even if we don't get to the final, Amsterdam is not a bad place to visit for a weekend. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Arsenal are nailed on for 3rd. They never have the pressure of trying to win things as they never seem to go for trophies, just top four. A club with so little ambition really.
    If Everton win today they are right in it as well.
    I feared a while ago we won't make it and still have that feeling.
    It's typical that had we lost to United we would of been playing a much weaker Spurs next week.:(

Everton have an amazingly difficult set of games coming up, mainly away from home. On the other hand, they will have a lot of say in who does qualify, and if they they can find a rich vein of form they might even do it themselves.

Have they given a new date for Chelsea v Tottenham yet ?
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »

I was one of those that wanted us to throw the Europa league because of this very reason.
    I was critisized for saying that, with some saying no true fan ever wants their team to lose. But you can't have it both ways with this, so i'd prefer we didn't have all these games, and that of course had to mean losing in at least one of the cups.
    Forum Member
    Cheer up - it's not often there's a match where the negative focus is more on the opposition.

Cech Azpilicueta Ivanovic Luiz Bertrand Ramires Mikel Oscar Mata Hazard Ba

Turnbull Ferreira JT Lampard Marin Benayoun Torres

Mignolet, Bardsley, Rose, O’Shea (c), Kilgallon, N’Diaye, Gardner, Larsson, Johnson, Sessegnon, Wickham.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toffees have equalised.Cheer up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on Everton, and we have to beat Sunderland today!

I like hthe look of the team, pretty strong lineup IMO.
This discussion has been closed.