5G On the horizon

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Is 4G already old hat? Samsung announces breakthrough in 5G mobile phone network that can download a high definition film in a SECOND
Samsung claims system could allow live high definition 3D video to be watched in real timed
Allows 1 gigabit of data to be transferred in a second - and could be available by 2020

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2323816/Samsung-announces-5G-breakthrough-download-HD-film-SECOND.html#ixzz2TDZk9m1g
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Laserline

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Wow, download a HD Video in a second!!! That sounds unbelievable and completely made up...

*Looks at source*

:D
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laserline wrote: »
    Is 4G already old hat? Samsung announces breakthrough in 5G mobile phone network that can download a high definition film in a SECOND
    Samsung claims system could allow live high definition 3D video to be watched in real timed
    Allows 1 gigabit of data to be transferred in a second - and could be available by 2020

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2323816/Samsung-announces-5G-breakthrough-download-HD-film-SECOND.html#ixzz2TDZk9m1g
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Laserline

2020? 4G is hardly old hat then! Of course there is going to be 5G within around 7 years! But for the time being 4G will be going for a while yet.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if those speeds talked about are truly possible, is the back haul technology up to providing the data fast enough in large enough volumes to make worthwhile use of it?
    It does say its only good for up to 2km which made me smile as that's about the present distance the average 3 mobile cell penetrates at the moment! :D
    "Ohh look I have 3G in my car..... Damm that bush its gone and I'm back on the orange back up signal.....:cry:"
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Even if those speeds talked about are truly possible, is the back haul technology up to providing the data fast enough in large enough volumes to make worthwhile use of it?
    It does say its only good for up to 2km which made me smile as that's about the present distance the average 3 mobile cell penetrates at the moment! :D
    "Ohh look I have 3G in my car..... Damm that bush its gone and I'm back on the orange back up signal.....:cry:"

Probably actually backhaul technology is there or at least getting there Google Fiber is putting in backhaul slowly in US for about same sort of speeds.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The story is a working group has sent around 1Gbit about 2km

it still makes 5G beyond the horizon. but it's a start.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/13/samsung_fast_5g_interface/
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laserline wrote: »
    Samsung announces breakthrough in 5G mobile phone network that can download a high definition film in a SECOND...

I look forward to EE's 5G top offering. Using a complex extrapolation algorithm I predict it will have a bandwidth limit that lasts for 8.2 seconds, yet somehow it will cost £76 per month.