Strange data problem with HTC One

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
Can anyone help me please. I am in Kenya at the moment and I have local SIM cards in both my iPhone 5S and my HTC One. I have got Three to unlock my HTC while I have been away so I had no chance to try another SIM back home. I received an unlock code by text and it seemed to work, however, it is telling me that mobile data is turned off, despite my settings showing it turned on. The same SIM card works in my iPad fine and I've also tried a SIM from another network operator here in the HTC with the same result. I'm out of ideas.

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd try and check the APN settings to start with.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Have you allowed roaming? My Nexus 4 when i was in Kefalonia last month wouldnt let me use data until i turned that on even though i had mobile data on.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Have you allowed roaming? My Nexus 4 when i was in Kefalonia last month wouldnt let me use data until i turned that on even though i had mobile data on.
    OP says ipad works which I take to mean they can access data, just not on the phone.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    OP says ipad works which I take to mean they can access data, just not on the phone.

Yeah, what i meant though is on Android phones when abroad even if you switch data on in the settings, it won't work unless you switch roaming on as well in the settings also.

Can't remember if i had to do the same with my iphone last year in Rhodes or whether on apple devices once you turn data on it just allows it.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an issue with my HTC One where data would just switch off and then on itself again, after 3 times being sent to repair they finally changed the device, don't think I've experienced the issue since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, what i meant though is on Android phones when abroad even if you switch data on in the settings, it won't work unless you switch roaming on as well in the settings also.

Can't remember if i had to do the same with my iphone last year in Rhodes or whether on apple devices once you turn data on it just allows it.

Yeah, it's the same on an iPhone in that both mobile data and data roaming would need to be switched on. Although, I'm not sure if data roaming will need to be enabled if it's a local SIM on its home network.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's the same on an iPhone in that both mobile data and data roaming would need to be switched on. Although, I'm not sure if data roaming will need to be enabled if it's a local SIM on its home network.

As it happens I am talking to you via a tethered iPhone and have data roaming disabled, so that only applies if you don't have a local SIM card.
    Forum Member

yes. At one point I thought that might be my problem but no such luck.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I'd try and check the APN settings to start with.

Brilliant. Googling Safaricom APN settings came up with "those elusive safaricom APN settings for Android" and it sure was complicated but worked. I guess I had been lulled into a false sense of security by the iPhone "just working" with a Safaricom sim in it (and no that isn't meant to precipitate a fanboy war please :))
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

if you're using a local sim the phone is not roaming.

i'm minded of the conversation i heard in a japanese bar with an american tourist asking for domestic beer.
    Forum Member
    Strange thing now is that although it is working, I did so much swapping around of SIMs I lost the plot and in fact my second Safaricom SIM is in my iPad and in the HTC I have an Airetel one. It must just need any old APN settings but not allowed to be blank.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Strange thing now is that although it is working, I did so much swapping around of SIMs I lost the plot and in fact my second Safaricom SIM is in my iPad and in the HTC I have an Airetel one. It must just need any old APN settings but not allowed to be blank.

possibly.

or, perhaps more likely. safaricom uses airetel or they both use the same network.
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Brilliant. Googling Safaricom APN settings came up with "those elusive safaricom APN settings for Android" and it sure was complicated but worked. I guess I had been lulled into a false sense of security by the iPhone "just working" with a Safaricom sim in it (and no that isn't meant to precipitate a fanboy war please :))

Weird. I used a Greek local sim in my Nexus 4 and it 'just worked' as well.

Cant understand why you had such an issue. Did you put the sim in your iphone first then the HTC by any chance?
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    if you're using a local sim the phone is not roaming.

i'm minded of the conversation i heard in a japanese bar with an american tourist asking for domestic beer.

Yeah, i missed that bit!! :D
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    possibly.

or, perhaps more likely. safaricom uses airetel or they both use the same network.

Yes, probably the most likely explanation thanks
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird. I used a Greek local sim in my Nexus 4 and it 'just worked' as well.

Cant understand why you had such an issue. Did you put the sim in your iphone first then the HTC by any chance?

I've found that some phones and carriers automatically grab the APN settings, and some others don't. I guess it depends on the SIM card.
    Forum Member
    I've found that some phones and carriers automatically grab the APN settings, and some others don't. I guess it depends on the SIM card.

See i had the same problem but it was nothing to do with the phone. I put it in our ipad on holiday first and it worked as you would expect. Then put it in the phone and it didn't. Had to do what tdenson did. We got another sim and stuck it in the Mrs phone and it worked right away.

I think its because the APN data was grabbed by the ipad so the carrier didn't send them out for the next device it was put into.
    Forum Member
    See i had the same problem but it was nothing to do with the phone. I put it in our ipad on holiday first and it worked as you would expect. Then put it in the phone and it didn't. Had to do what tdenson did. We got another sim and stuck it in the Mrs phone and it worked right away.

I think its because the APN data was grabbed by the ipad so the carrier didn't send them out for the next device it was put into.

Ah, that's exactly what I did - put it in the iPad first to test it. Looks like that was where I went wrong.