Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years??

Comments

• Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    You'll probably find the scales need calibrating

I calibrate them every week with jewellers weights.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i suppose if you're content to believe that *I* am the *only* person that buys crisps in *bags* (i am aware of weight - obviously ppptttt! :rolleyes:) then we're done

Well lets just say "loads dosh" for those finding this hard to get their head around big numbers and they wont be so easily distracted :)

Ulitmately - you just dont got a point, you just want to say "something" - well i dont got time for that:D

We're not finding it hard to understand numbers. You have clearly stated that on a £500m turnover they make £75m extra profit on multipacks alone. You need to provide the evidence to back that up.

Also, still awaiting your response to what the Trading Standards response was when you contacted them.
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I find it an excellent idea. 15% less crisps my kids eat if they have a bag.

Doesn't that then mean that each short bag is costing you 15% more than a correctly weighted one?
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,106
    Forum Member
    We're not finding it hard to understand numbers. You have clearly stated that on a £500m turnover they make £75m extra profit on multipacks alone. You need to provide the evidence to back that up..

No I dont!

It's just "loads extra dosh"

You see you're distracted already from the actually issue of Walkers selling short-measure (which is how they make "loads extra dosh")

Why do Walkers pack 15% less crisps multi-pack "bags"???

I don't want to hear health nonsense or any other clap-trap that would equally apply to standard size 'bag's - obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if anyone can come up with a tangible answer

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    Doesn't that then mean that each short bag is costing you 15% more than a correctly weighted one?

No - That is everyone (except for the OP) 's point. The bags have 15% less crisps in them, and are openly marked as such, but cost more than 15% less. Per Gram, these crisps are much cheaper than 'normal-sized' bags of crisps....

I'm not sure why the OP is having such a hard time grasping that.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »

No, because you are being charged about 25% less for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I dont!

You see you're distracted already from the actually issue of Walkers selling short-measure (which is how they make "loads extra dosh")

I don't want to hear health nonsense or any other clap-trap that would equally apply to standard size 'bag's - obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trading Standards ;)
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    No I dont!

You've already had an answer - in order to hit the price point and still make some profit. If multipacks had standard bags in them, they would either have to cost a lot more (so people would not buy them), or Walkers (and the supermarkets) would lose money on them. They already make significantly LESS money on multipacks than standard bags. You seem to fail to grasp this point. And the margin is even smaller on the larger multipacks (12/18/24 or whatever) - an 18-pack costs less to buy than 3 6-packs.

This is how business works - sell things to customers for more money than it cost you to make them. It's not rocket science.

I assume you don't buy multipacks, just single standard bags, so you don't feel 'ripped off'. After all, it's not just Walkers this applies to.

And you also need to learn about what 'short measure' actually means - it means you are not getting as much as you are told you will get in WEIGHT or volume. If a mutlipack says 6 x 25g e packs, that is what you get. 6 packs, which should have an average weight of 25g or more - a certain %age can be slighly under, but the average HAS to be 25g or more.

Now, toddle off to Trading Standards and complain, and, please please let me know what they say.
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems little point in quoting any one of the OP's messages, seeing as all he does is repeat the same thing over and over, but there are lots of little FACTs (as he calls them) which he has constantly got wrong - but refuses to admit so simply glosses over them and gets away with it by calling all other thread conributors stupid or ignorant.

He says that people only buy crisps by the bag, that all bags (except multipack) come in a standard weight, that this weight is 30g and that Walkers invented the bag of crisps.

This is wrong on so many levels that I wonder why the OP just doesn't disappear back under the bridge he crawled out from and take some Paracetamol to calm himself down - maybe 48 tablets plus a bottle of whisky (70 cl of course, the only measurement that whisky is sold in!) and the world might be a better place.

If anybody can take the blame for inventing "bags of crisps" it would be Mike-Sells Potato Chip Company in America in 1910, who were the first savoury snack company to start bagging the potato chips invented by George Crum in 1853. It is unlikely that the weight of these bags of chips were 30g, as the gram was not a well known or widely used unit of measure in the US, even though the French International System of Units has tried to make it an international standard measure of weight since 1795.

Smiths were the first UK company to start selling bags of crisps, not Walkers, when they marketed "Smith's Potato Crisps" with a sachet of salt in 1931. What weight these bags were I am not sure - but they are unlikely to have been 30 grams, as the UK was certainly not heavily using metric weights at that point in time.

Walkers first started selling bags of crisps after World War II - again, whatever the weight of these bags of crisps were, it is unlikely to have been 30g. Walkers don't sell any snacks which currently weigh 30g - the common weights for crisps are 25g for multi-pack, 34.5g for single pack, 40g for Sensations and 50g for "Grab Bags" (pub trade bags).

Crisps are not (and have not been) always sold in bags - Pringles are sold in tubes, and in Australia were sold in tins, 24 crisps to a tin.

Seabrook (the other major crips manufacturer in the UK) sell in 31.8g packets - again, not this mythical 30g which the OP seems to have such a bee in his bonnet about. So, if a customer was to wander into a shop to buy a "bag of crisps", the standard unit that the OP is adamant every customer buys in, depending whether he picked up a bag of Walkers Crisps or Seabrook Crisps could differ by 2.7g in weight - and this is what he calls the standard measure that all crisps are sold in. If the prices are the same, the customer would get more weight per pence if he were to buy Walkers instead of Seabrook - though I think that Seabrook's flavours and texture (Crinkle Cut) are far superior to Walkers.

OP - you are a troll and a wind-up merchant. You have been caught out and proved wrong on so many levels - and instead of retiring with a modicum of dignity and admitting you were mistaken you continue to protest that you are right and everybody else is wrong - which in all honesty just makes you appear more and more foolish with each reply you post. I seriously advise you to back down now - true, any sense of dignity or intelligence you tried to build yourself up in possessing was lost a long time ago, but the quicker you stop responding to this thread, the sooner everybody else will stop proving you wrong once more, and (hopefully for you) the thread will eventually dwindle down the list and be forgotten - when you can return to the forum with another ridiculous thread title to start the whole shenanigans once more...
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walkers first started selling bags of crisps after World War II - again, whatever the weight of these bags of crisps were, it is unlikely to have been 30g. Walkers don't sell any snacks which currently weigh 30g - the common weights for crisps are 25g for multi-pack, 34.5g for single pack, 40g for Sensations and 50g for "Grab Bags" (pub trade bags).

Not to mention the non potato "crisps" Walkers do like Quavers which come in 20g bags, French Fries which are in 22g bags, Squares which are in 25g bags and Frazzles which are 23g per normal bag :eek:
    Forum Member
    Trading Standards ;)

Que?

Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    .. in order to hit the price point and still make some profit...

there's nothing can be done with short-measure 'bag' that couldn't equally be done using regular 'bag'

except sell less "bags"!!

do you understand that much? if you dont, then i dont need to discuss anymore with you

which rubbishes your point and all the other garbgage about financial reasoning for short-measures
    .. If multipacks had standard bags in them, they would either have to cost a lot more (so people would not buy them), or Walkers (and the supermarkets) would lose money....

Now you gettin it - So Walkers include short-measure bags so people 'think' they are getting more 'bags' for their money - they aint - they're just getting smaller bags

.. It's not rocket science.

Couldn't put it better myself - you've spotted it now

Forum Member
    ... there are lots of little FACTs (as he calls them) which he has constantly got wrong .....He says that people only buy crisps by the bag.....

Nowhere have I said that!

......all bags (except multipack) come in a standard weight.....

nowhere have i said that either - they do big bags for a start 50 grm ish

...This is wrong on so many levels ......

you're right at least about that - i haven't said a single thing you've accused me of so far...so i wont read anymore of your post
    i wont tell you what i actually did say, 'again' because then you'll accuse me of repeating
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    there's nothing can be done with short-measure 'bag' that couldn't equally be done using regular 'bag'

except sell less "bags"!!

do you understand that much?

which rubbishes your point and all the other garbgage about financial reasoning for short-measures

Now you gettin it - So Walkers include short-measure bags so people 'think' they are getting more for their money - they aint - they're just getting smaller bags

Last time - I promised myself I wouldn't, but you are the one failing to 'get it'

Try the following. Buy a 6 pack. Spend the same money buying normal bags. See which one gets you more crisps (I'll give you a clue - its the multipack). You do get 'more' for your money, however you cut it. More crisps. A heavier total weight. Costing more to make, distribute, market and sell. But somehow, someway, they're ripping you off (and only you it seems)

The financial reasons are sound and correct. You are just to wilfully dumb to 'get it'

If you are so sure of your FACTS, then go and complain to Trading Standards - in fact, you're close enough to leicester to complain directly to the TS department that Walkers will deal with. If Walkers are 'scamming', then TS will come down on them like a ton of bricks.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walkers should sell you want you think you are getting (a regular bag of crisps)

they know what "you think" & Walkers *choose* to use that to scam you instead

Shouldn't they sell you what is labeled on the packet and not what you think...I imagine that a law suit waiting to happen if they go by what the person thinks should be in there.

God you must be up all night moaning about the fact that cadburys reduced the weight of a tin of roses...and now it not what you think but yet it is clearly marked with the weight and it is your choice to buy the tin at that weight or not.

If you have such an issue with it why not buy 12 bag of 30g crisps instead then you know you are getting what you think you are getting :rolleyes:
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere have I said that!

I beg to differ.
    So What!
    Fact! - Most people do not buy crisps by weight
    Walkers do not sell crisps by weight - they sell them by 'the bag'
    nowhere have i said that either - they do big bags for a start 50 grm ish

I beg to differ once more.
    This was all pioneered by Walkers years ago

They clearly defined for us all what "a bag" of crisps is, and this "bag" has always contained 30 grams, still does

Any more lies?
    Forum Member
    ...Try the following. Buy a 6 pack. Spend the same money buying normal bags. See which one gets you more crisps ...

You do understand that Walkers control how many crisps you get for your money! That's what is under scrutiny inn this thread

I dont think you do :rolleyes:

So you're out - I wont read the remainder of your post

Forum Member
    minority wrote: »
    Shouldn't they sell you what is labeled on the packet and not what you think....

They can put any label on they wish - it's irelevant

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs (labelled or not) is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra load of dosh

Give me one tangable reason why they should multi-pack 15% less crisps per bag

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point in any further replies. The OP will just mis-quote you or say that it's irrelevant, whilst still continuing to spout the same tired tale only they believe, despite not being able show any proof, evidence or real facts or figures.

The OP wants to complain but has not bothered to contact either Trading Standards or Walkers themselves. Bizarre.
    Forum Member
    No point in any further replies. The OP will just mis-quote you or say that it's irrelevant, whilst still continuing to spout the same tired tale only they believe, despite not being able show any proof, evidence or real facts or figures.

The OP wants to complain but has not bothered to contact either Trading Standards or Walkers themselves. Bizarre.

I suppose you could *try* and dispute my claim

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs (labelled or not) is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra £few million

Give me one tangible reason why Walkers should multi-pack 15% less crisps per bag??

I wont entertain any reasons that apply equally to single packs as multi-packs for obvious reasons (e.g. couple lame excuses about health which is absurd) - neither am i interested in Tesco special offers for today - because it's irrelevant to the question, which is about *Walkers* packaging policy

I'm all ears

• malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The OP is a bit mad but I have to say this thread has given me one of the best laughs in ages!

I am now going to use the 'bag' measurement as my standard unit of guaging the size of something so if I get some crisps and find they come in a bag smaller than a bin bag or a carrier bag I am going to complain to trading standards about being ripped off.

My minimum bag size is going to be dustbin bag I have decided. :D
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you read the thread you'd know

Walkers define 'a bag' of Walkers crisps by selling millions of them containing 30 odd grams - 99% of Walkers customers don't know/care what weight is in them, to them it's just "a bag" of Walkers crisps - Walkers use this public nonchalance to 'slip' them a short measure in multi-packs

So in fact, Walkers have made no such claim. It's just your own erroneous perception that's fuelling your ire.
    That's what I thought.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of several reasons why the multi-pack is what it is:-
    • So there are smaller bags for smaller people (i.e. kids). And even better if they don't notice.
    • To create a price-point that would not be achievable with standard sized bags.
    • To provide a variety of size options for the benefit of consumers
    • To manage the range of different sizes for the benefit of the manufacturer (i.e. to provide a discounted pack for supermarkets without undermining the higher cost of standard bags to small retailers).
    The best argument, though, is this:-
    If there is a desire for a multi-pack of standard bags, why doesn't another manufacturer make one? They could highlight the Walkers' "under-sizing" issue and corner the market, surely?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i suppose if you're content to believe that *I* am the *only* person that buys crisps in *bags* (i am aware of weight - obviously ppptttt! :rolleyes:) then we're done

Well lets just say "loads dosh" for those finding this hard to get their head around big numbers and they wont be so easily distracted :)

Ulitmately - you just dont got a point, you just want to say "something" - well i dont got time for that:D

Its you that finds stuff difficult to understand. In fact you are the only one with your opinion in this thread. You have no debatable defence, so you say "well i dont got time for that" :rolleyes:

Forums call you trolls.
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    So in fact, Walkers have made no such claim. It's just your own erroneous perception that's fuelling your ire..

Walkers don't need to make a claim

Walkers sell a gazillion 'standard' size bags of crisps

by merely doing so, Walkers themselves define 'a bag' of Walkers crisps - Not sure why you're struggling with that because it's yet another a stone cold fact!