Ten terrifyingly good film choices for Halloween

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Hi all

As Halloween approaches I thought I would share ten terrifyingly good film choices for this year's Halloween.

Have a dig around, who knows what skeletons you might unearth!!

Halloween Horrors

What wicked wonders will you be watching??

Mwahahahahaha!!

X

Comments

• Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just rediscovered PHANTASM. It was a favorite of mine when I was younger (and it scared the crap out of me as well!). I just got the special edition DVD and will be watching it within th next couple of days.

Strangely enough, the excellent sequel "PHANTASM 2" is available on Bluray but the original film is not! Talk about bizarre. I would love to own an HD version.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I have seen all on the list, apart from Ghostwatch?? Never even heard of it.

I will be rewatching Scream from that list.

I do think that its quite a poor list of top 10 films for halloween though. Maybe for Halloween costume ideas?
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Scary Movie? Oh dear...

I like the way some late '80s movies are described as "the old classics". God forbid you watch The Haunting or some Hammer horrors or even worse, some of the ancient Universal flicks! :P
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I have seen all on the list, apart from Ghostwatch?? Never even heard of it.

I will be rewatching Scream from that list.

I do think that its quite a poor list of top 10 films for halloween though. Maybe for Halloween costume ideas?

If you can get access to a copy of Ghostwatch you should watch it.

However, I don't know if the effect is the same on someone who didn't see it when it was first broadcast back in 1992.

I remember watching it as a 10 year old, even now I sometimes think I see Pipes behind the curtain...

I do agree it's a poor list, Chainsaw should have been on there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I watched a couple of Ghostwatch clips on Youtube a few days ago and my first thought was "how in the hell did anyone think this is real?!" They are so obviously actors delivering lines, it's bizarre how anyone could be fooled by it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    I watched a couple of Ghostwatch clips on Youtube a few days ago and my first thought was "how in the hell did anyone think this is real?!" They are so obviously actors delivering lines, it's bizarre how anyone could be fooled by it.

I think everyone was fooled by it (myself included:o) because we weren't as savvy those days to that kind of thing. I don't think we thought for a minute that tv companies could lie to us! Heaven forbid! It's on the BBC it must be true. What dolts we all were!

Oh and that list has clearly been put together by looking at the top 10 best sellers list in horror in amazon! Obviously some good stuff on the list not denying that but they could have put at least 1% of imagination into it! Nothing from the dawn of horror? No universal monsters? Nothing from the golden age of horror? Nothing pre 78? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Maybe I should have included some of the old Romero classics on the list too - however much I love the original night of the living dead, people who like 'the next generation' of horror flicks just are no longer scared by it!
    Also a big big fan of the original invasion of the body snatchers! Parodied by so many others - what an absolute classic to add to the list.

Any other original classics to add to the list?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horror films for Halloween watched so far......

Ghostwatch
    Tales from the crypt (amicus)
    X cross

Planning on watching....

Don't go into the basement
    Omen
    Excorcist

Cool british horrors from the 70's that I always recommend even though no ****ers ever seen them......

Twisted nerve
    The devils
    Blood on satan's claw
    House of whipcord
    Forum Member
    Horror films for Halloween watched so far......

Ghostwatch
    Tales from the crypt (amicus)
    X cross

Planning on watching....

Don't go into the basement
    Omen
    Excorcist

Cool british horrors from the 70's that I always recommend even though no ****ers ever seen them......

Twisted nerve
    The devils
    Blood on satan's claw
    House of whipcord

Omen and Exorcist - great calls!! Think I might dig them out myself!
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    My choices this year are:

Halloween 1 & 2 'originals' and H2O
    Scream 1-4
    Friday 13th original
    Nightmare On Elm Street 'Original'
    Grave Encounters
    Forum Member
    Just thought - what about Planet Terror (Grindhouse) has all the hallmarks of an old classic! Thoughts?
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Carrie :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, let's think - Well, The Fog is always on my list, I love it. The original of course, not the remake. The Hole is another good creepy one, it's directed by Joe Dante and even though it's only a 12, I've known adults to have nightmares over it :D Innkeepers is another favourite of mine. This one is about two staff members of a hotel soon be closed down trying to see if the place really is haunted. It is quite slow, but I like the way it builds. Then there's the classic Frighteners. Just a great movie, especially good for Halloween and it has humour too. 1408, about a haunted hotel room is definitely a great choice. For something a bit different try Event Horizon. It's not your typical Halloween movie genre, but several men I know have refused to ever watch this again - it's a guy thing I guess :D Stephen King's The Langoliers is kinda creepy, to me at any rate. The Burbs might be a good choice if you don't really want scary, it does fit with the theme. Ghost Ship could be worth a watch, especially if you've never seen the dance floor part :D The Grudge is a decent choice, or The Crazies. I've left out the obvious classics like The Shining or the first Halloween, but check out Halloween 3 too, it's very different to the others and kinda creepy :D
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have some Argento there too - Suspiria or Phenomena are quite appropriate for Halloween.

The Innocents for an old classic.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, let's think - Well, The Fog is always on my list, I love it. The original of course, not the remake. The Hole is another good creepy one

Big fan of The Fog original - have not dared watch the remake as would probably get quite upset - not sure about The Hole for Halloween - great film, but I am looking for more suspense / scare tactics than psychological - great general film watching though!
    Any more ideas very welcome!!
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinister - not really a Halloween film but definitely creepy.