Who would make a good female super-hero for a new Marvel movie?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
Forum Member
✭✭
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has addressed the possibility of a female-led superhero movie.

He said that the company has its eye on several characters from the Marvel Comics roster, reports Entertainment Weekly.

Would would you chose?

I'd pick Valkyrie as she is essentially Marvel's Wonder Woman.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Widow origin story. It is the safe choice as you have a character audiences are familiar with and a popular actress attached to the role. The likelihood is that with a female led movie you are only going to get one chance so it needs to be perfect or else you won't get another for a decade. The lack of success for Catwoman and Elektra has to be part of the reason why studios are so reluctant to invest in these types of movies.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scarlett Witch might be a go. Teen angst, sorcery, a hidden world.
  • TorquarTorquar Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Psylocke, Dazzler, Domino maybe. The problem is that Marvel don't really have a stand-out well known female hero like Wonder Woman, they'd be creating a franchise from scratch.

Black Widow has some visibility now, but when it comes down to it she's just a super agent rather than a superhuman.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Cat could make an interesting film but she is a bit similar to Catwoman and could tread on DC toes.

Other names that spring to mind include, Domino, Callisto, Spiderwoman, Firestar, Polaris, Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk.

Actually I think Ms. Marvel could be the best of the ones I mentioned for a big screen adaption. I feel she has the most to offer in terms of an actual plot.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms. Marvel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spider-Woman and She-Hulk are a cert one day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scarlet Witch could be good - especially as she has all sorts of ties to to both the X-Men and Avengers

AdzPower wrote: »
    Ms. Marvel?

Carol Danvers aka Ms Marvel -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Marvel's most sucessful heroines when it comes to publishing are She-Hulk and Spider-Girl. I'd love to see the former in her own movie but more likely they'd use her in a Hulk or Avengers movie. I doubt Marvel have the rights to Spider-Girl given she's Peter Parker's (alternate reality) daughter.

After that Spider-Woman was popular back in late seventies/early eighties and was pretty important part of the New Avengers boom. I think that'd be more than possible but its likely they'd just make her an Avenger outright.

Marvel are making their second attempt to give Carol Danvers a big push currently going by the codename Captain Marvel. I could see them trying to give her a push in other media too but again they'd probably just put her in Avengers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Speaking up for the rival DC fans: I'd love to see a Supergirl reboot! Handled in the right way (not dark), it would be great!
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Having read a lot of the original X-Men comics and their run-ins with the Brotherhood of Mutants I would really like to see that :o
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mprince wrote: »
    Speaking up for the rival DC fans: I'd love to see a Supergirl reboot! Handled in the right way (not dark), it would be great!

Birds Of Prey ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Spider-Woman and She-Hulk are a cert one day.

She-Hulk would be a great one trying to come to terms with being a Hulk while also trying to hold down a job as a lawyer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Ye but it's been done to death now. Is the teeny girl who likes Justin Bieber really the kind of market Marvel want to go after? Would probably alienate the types who go and see Iron Man already :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    She-Hulk would be a great one trying to come to terms with being a Hulk while also trying to hold down a job as a lawyer.

I see she hulk more as a tv series....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think she can be described as a 'superhero' as such (!) but I thought Anne Hathaway was an awesome catwoman and would definitely watch a catwoman film with her in the role.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Squirrel Girl, played by Kristen Schaal. ;)
  • TorquarTorquar Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Photon/Pulsar/Captain Marvel/Monica Rambeau might be a good choice. She used to lead the Avengers and has a pretty decent (read "loads of flashy cgi") power set.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    Black Widow origin story. It is the safe choice as you have a character audiences are familiar with and a popular actress attached to the role. The likelihood is that with a female led movie you are only going to get one chance so it needs to be perfect or else you won't get another for a decade. The lack of success for Catwoman and Elektra has to be part of the reason why studios are so reluctant to invest in these types of movies.

I'd agree with that. People already know her from Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, plus she's due to appear in Captain America 2 and The Avengers 2 (and another four on top of those, as apparently her contract has options for up to eight films).
    willowfan wrote: »
    Scarlet Witch could be good - especially as she has all sorts of ties to to both the X-Men and Avengers

Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver are apparently due to appear in The Avengers 2.

... but because of Fox currently holding the rights to the X-Men, Marvel won't be able to make any mention of SW/QS being "mutants" or of who their father is.
    Don't think she can be described as a 'superhero' as such (!) but I thought Anne Hathaway was an awesome catwoman and would definitely watch a catwoman film with her in the role.

She's DC, though, not Marvel ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Black Cat could make an interesting film but she is a bit similar to Catwoman and could tread on DC toes.

Other names that spring to mind include, Domino, Callisto, Spiderwoman, Firestar, Polaris, Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk.

Actually I think Ms. Marvel could be the best of the ones I mentioned for a big screen adaption. I feel she has the most to offer in terms of an actual plot.

Ms Marvel has been named recently when information was released about RDJ's contract negotiations, Avengers 2 and phase 3 for Marvel.

Even as Phase 2 gets under way with Iron Man 3 and sequels to Thor and Captain America, Marvel is working on Phase 3. Ant-Man, a project to be directed Edgar Wright, has a release date of Nov. 6, 2015. Beyond that, the company is tight-lipped about its plans. Marvel has a writing program it uses as a concept generator and has scripts for Blade and Ms. Marvel features, for example. Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Black Panther and The Runaways are other projects on the horizon. The company slowly has been reacquiring licenses to characters it lost during the 1990s, snapping up Blade, Ghost Rider, Power Man and Daredevil in the past year alone.

With Ms Marvel it could help provide a link between the Gardians of the Galaxy universe and Earth/The Avengers.

Black Widow is now established but I'm not sure she could hold a film together. She doesn't actually have any "powers" as such. Would there be much difference between her and the character Angelina Jolie plays in "Salt" or other similar female led films. Woman doing martial arts and firing guns = Underworld or Resident Evil.

The idea of Dazzler scares me as they could end up going for someone from the charts to play the role. Assuming they were to go with the film it may be worth looking at Catherine McPhee from the series Samsh. Although they are more likely to go with Hayden Panettiere despite her being about 5ft tall and tiny.

I think a good one to have a serious look at is She-Hulk.

1) The Hulk link makes the character instantly recognisable to non comic readers
    2) When you have Banner you have someone who can do dialogue, but when he becomes The Hulk his vocabulary becomes very basic. "Hulk Smash!," "Hulk Crush" and lots of grunting and snarling. Where as She-Hulk can handle dialogue and so make it easier to write for as she can exchange words and argue with whomever she is fighting.
    3) An easy entry into The Avengers 3 in the future
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Ms. Marvel seems like the most obvious one since there is already a script apparently in the works.

I can't see them doing someone like Valkyrie / Spider-Woman / She-Hulk as their stories are too tied into already established superheroes. I can't see them going down that route, though maybe they'd appear as side characters in a future Thor / Spiderman / Hulk movie. Scarlet Witch along with Quicksilver would be good though, and the brother / sister dynamic and the fact that they are a bit dubious morally will make them interesting.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) When you have Banner you have someone who can do dialogue, but when he becomes The Hulk his vocabulary becomes very basic. "Hulk Smash!," "Hulk Crush" and lots of grunting and snarling. Where as She-Hulk can handle dialogue and so make it easier to write for as she can exchange words and argue with whomever she is fighting.

Hulk started off as fairly intelligent Mr Hyde type personality. He gradualy got stupider as time went on and the simple "Hulk smash" became the definitve version.

There have been several attempts to portray a more intelligent Hulk. First off was the transformation into the Grey Hulk (based on the first issue were he was coloured grey) who had a snarky intelligent personality similar to the early years version.

Then came the a version of the Hulk that was cured of the traumas that plagued him and merged all the different personas. He had Banner's intelligence, the Grey Hulk's confidence and Green Hulk's stregnth. This version was very popular but Marvel felt that it wasn't as marketable as Savage Hulk and not only reverted him back to a dumb savage but retconned that this version was just another personality artificialy created.

However in recent years writers have gone back to that Mr Hyde-esque personality with the Green Hulk with no real reason and thats the version that has mostly stuck.

Given that its a big deal in the movies that Banner is learning to control the Hulk I'm fairly positive that we'll see a more intelligent Hulk in Avengers 2.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Polaris is surely the best choice. This could be a spin-off from the X-Men franchise, and feature both Magneto plus Quicksilver and the Scarlett Witch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »
    Hulk started off as fairly intelligent Mr Hyde type personality. He gradualy got stupider as time went on and the simple "Hulk smash" became the definitve version.

There have been several attempts to portray a more intelligent Hulk. First off was the transformation into the Grey Hulk (based on the first issue were he was coloured grey) who had a snarky intelligent personality similar to the early years version.

Then came the a version of the Hulk that was cured of the traumas that plagued him and merged all the different personas. He had Banner's intelligence, the Grey Hulk's confidence and Green Hulk's stregnth. This version was very popular but Marvel felt that it wasn't as marketable as Savage Hulk and not only reverted him back to a dumb savage but retconned that this version was just another personality artificialy created.

However in recent years writers have gone back to that Mr Hyde-esque personality with the Green Hulk with no real reason and thats the version that has mostly stuck.

Given that its a big deal in the movies that Banner is learning to control the Hulk I'm fairly positive that we'll see a more intelligent Hulk in Avengers 2.

All of this happened in comics (which of course this section is) but on film and TV he has never really been much more than "Hulk Smash" and I can't see them going away from that.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefered the Hulk's portrayal in Hulk (Ang Lee) rather in The Incredible Hulk. I felt it was more sympathetic and showed he was more than just a "Hulk Smash" kind of monster/hero.

Getting back to the original question. I think it's harder to do a film franchise based around a female hero(ine) because most of them in the comic books tend to be part of groups.

One that could be interesting could be Tigra who in her cat form is very striking physically and because Marvel know what they are doing they are unlikely to make a mess of it like they did with Halle Berry as Catwoman.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Ms Marvel movie does go ahead I'm thinking who would play the role?

For a slightly older but still capable Actress I thought maybe Rosemarie Dewitt. She's fairly unknown but is a very good actress and has a strength about her looks.

On the younger end of the scale and left field what about Alia Shawkat?

My most realistic choice (imo anyway) would be Diane Kruger. She's a little younger then Rosemarie. Has teh Looks and has the CV.

Other possibles I thought of:
    Isla Fisher
    Rose Burne
    Lola Glaudini
    Natlia Tena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all the headaches DC have had with Wonder Woman, it would be funny if Marvel had a hit with Valkyrie.