Ofcom Update: Award of the 600 MHz spectrum band

kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ofcom has today outlined proposals to create new, temporary high definition (HD) digital terrestrial TV (DTT) multiplexes, which would operate alongside wireless microphone users and devices using white-space technology. The channels will use capacity created by the digital switchover, which successfully completed at the end of 2012. They will fit into one of the two frequency bands cleared for new uses, called the 600 MHz band. The other band, called the 800 MHz band, is currently being auctioned for new 4G mobile services.

The spectrum will be awarded to a single operator that will manage access to the multiplexes. Prospective operators are being asked to notify Ofcom if they intend to apply for the licence.

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we assume the BBC will win the right to run this multiplex?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Can we assume the BBC will win the right to run this multiplex?
    That seems the least likely to me.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will use the 600MHz channels freed up by DSO - see my little chart:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6930DDF93C2BE3FA!1153&authkey=!AMkWWM9iWT2mGiI

Unless Ofcom abandon plans for selling off the 700MHz bands these will disappear in 2018. Therefore their only real use is as a means to encourage people to buy DVB-T2 receivers.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That seems the least likely to me.
    Well, there is a joint proposal from the BBC, Channel 4 to use this space, so that now looks very likely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless Ofcom abandon plans for selling off the 700MHz bands these will disappear in 2018. Therefore their only real use is as a means to encourage people to buy DVB-T2 receivers.
    Which was also one of the justifications in that joint BBC/Channel 4/Arqiva proposal
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, there is a joint proposal from the BBC, Channel 4 to use this space, so that now looks very likely.
    OK, slightly different from "BBC" then.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see the list of sites - many areas served by major transmitters will not get them, although I hasten to add this is only a proposed list and it might change a bit.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/600mhz-award/annexes/Annex_11.pdf
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Interesting to see the list of sites - many areas served by major transmitters will not get them, although I hasten to add this is only a proposed list and it might change a bit.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/600mhz-award/annexes/Annex_11.pdf

It's the C5 analogue roll out all over again :D

Also, HP only at Rowridge (before anybody rushes on the roof to turn their aerials VP !! )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

Looking at that document, I am glad that I have a wideband aerial pointing at Sutton Coldfield. :)

Seriously though, the initial site are envisaged to increase:
    We propose that the licence will include a requirement for services to be rolled out within 12 months of any licence award; and for coverage within two years to reach 50% of UK households, including a minimum of 25% coverage in each of the UK Nations. We propose roll-out in the first 12 months to reach a minimum of an initial 10% coverage, with a requirement that at least one video stream is available to consumers.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/600mhz-award/summary
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always, Crystal Palace gets everything fine. :D
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    As Bilsdale is one of the first 10 sites i'm alright so i'm happy with the plan. Anything which brings more HD to Freeview on that basis gets my vote. :p
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We propose that the licence will include a requirement for services to be rolled out within 12 months of any licence award; and for coverage within two years to reach 50% of UK households, including a minimum of 25% coverage in each of the UK Nations. We propose roll-out in the first 12 months to reach a minimum of an initial 10% coverage, with a requirement that at least one video stream is available to consumers.

Wow Ofcom are really pushing the boat out with 10% coverage in 12 Months. So why is Digital Satellite popular :mad:
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, if this gives the BBC an excuse to launch more HD channels, and then they put these channels on Freesat too (platform neutral don't ya know? ;) ), it's fine by me.

It's not like they're going to appear on terrestrial in Freeview lite areas until they transition everything to HD/T2. That'll be an interesting switch over, and is needed to enable the 700MHz sell off. We'll probably have 4k before then. (But maybe not on Freeview! ;) ).

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Ofcom are really pushing the boat out with 10% coverage in 12 Months.

Rising quickly to 50% after two years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess it'll all happen a lot quicker than that. Time is of the essence with something like this. They will be reusing as much old pre-DSO tx equipment as possible, and I know one of the reasons given for keeping the old Tacolneston mast up longer than originally planned was to facilitate any further engineering work in respect of additional muxs. For this reason, I would expect Tacolneston to be one of the early completions, because the local council want the old mast to come down as soon as possible.

Are there other old masts, or temporary ones put up during DSO work still in place? I recall seeing a thread here a few months ago about the temporary mast at Sutton Coldfield which had not been taken down - is it still there now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rising quickly to 50% after two years.

This is obviously a definition of the word "Quickly" that I wasn't previously aware of :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is obviously a definition of the word "Quickly" that I wasn't previously aware of :D

Well, going from 10% to 50% coverage in 12 months seems quick to me - a five-fold increase in coverage in 12 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, going from 10% to 50% coverage in 12 months seems quick to me - a five-fold increase in coverage in 12 months.

Well its better than O2's attempt at 3G coverage :D
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Wow Ofcom are really pushing the boat out with 10% coverage in 12 Months.

That purely to stop somebody sitting on the licence - it forces a launch within 12 months from the award.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    What will the new 10 HD be then?

BBC Three/CBBC
    BBC Four/CBeebies
    Channel 5
    Any if the UKTV channels maybe?

Any ideas?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Nigel Whitfield has posted up his interesting take on Ofcom's hidden agenda

http://gonedigital.net/
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    What will the new 10 HD be then?

BBC Three/CBBC
    BBC Four/CBeebies
    Channel 5
    Any if the UKTV channels maybe?

Any ideas?

If the Arqiva-BBC-C4 venture is the only bidder (which is quite likely), then we will see channels from C4 (probably up to two of More4/Film4/E4) and one BBC channel (BBC3 or BBC4), and possibly the return of 301 HD, plus whatever commercial channels Arqiva can get on board (Dave HD, QVC HD are good bets for starters).
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If the Arqiva-BBC-C4 venture is the only bidder (which is quite likely), then we will see channels from C4 (probably up to two of More4/Film4/E4) and one BBC channel (BBC3 or BBC4), and possibly the return of 301 HD, plus whatever commercial channels Arqiva can get on board (Dave HD, QVC HD are good bets for starters).

I agree this is the most likely outcome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon they really need to provide some content that isn't simply a duplication of what's already avaialble on Freeview. Many people have no interest in HD. I've got a couple of the cheap Technika HD boxes but I'm using them on the sets in the kitchen and the bedroom. My main box in the living room is a SD PVR, and I see no particular reason to change this as barely anything (and shortly when BBCHD becomes BBC2HD, nothing at all) is available only on an HD box.