Films that deviate the most from their book

EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched "My Sister's Keeper" and was shocked by the ending. Having read the book, I was expecting the film to more or less follow the story (I hadn't read any of the film reviews) so when
Kate dies and Anna lives

I was stunned.

So my question to you is, what's the biggest unexpected deviation for you, in a film adaptation?

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Spy Who Loved Me has little in common with the book, apart from James Bond.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spy Who Loved Me has little in common with the book, apart from James Bond.

Always a nice surprise when a Bond adaptation DOES follow the book :eek:
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Always a nice surprise when a Bond adaptation DOES follow the book :eek:

A few have come close.
    Forum Member
    Kubrick's version of The Shining strayed from the book.

And then there's Jack Reacher, in the books he's six foot four inch, 240 pounds of solid muscle. So the obvious choice to play was was Tom Cruise
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Cobra" is Paula Gosling's "A Running Duck" turned beyond all recognition into a Stallone action movie.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Another Bond suggestion - only the title of Moonraker made the film.

Also, loads of stuff from the Pete Benchley novel was left out of Jaws, mostly for the best
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite disappointed with Silver Linings Playbook. I wanted to watch the film because Jennifer Lawrence was in it, Oscar nominated etc, but decided to read the book first. Loved the book, but Pat's dad (Robert De Niro) was way too nice and nothing like the character in the book.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Am a Legend.
    Strangers on a Train (although I liked the film, I prefer Patricia Highsmith's novel, which is a lot darker and more interesting)
    Practical Magic (the film doesn't resemble the novel that much)
    Drive.
    The Natural (the changes in the film worked, though)
    Fight Club
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World War Z is gonna top this!!
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    John Gardener's A Complete State of Death book bears virtually no relationship to the subsequent Michael Winner Charles Bronson film, The Stone Killer that's meant to be based on it, having changed characters, plot and even continents in the process.

Regards

Mark
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You Only Live Twice was at least set in Japan.

Other than that Roald Dahl wrote a new story.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Fight Club

Although there was a deviation from Fight Club the book, I'd say the film is faithful enough not to deserve inclusion on this thread. Sure, the end chapter is a lot different to the film's ending, but the rest of it was fairly well captured.

I'll add Planet of the Apes to the list. The film's story is quite different from the book's, but it still captures the essence of the original's story.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I Am a Legend.
    Strangers on a Train (although I liked the film, I prefer Patricia Highsmith's novel, which is a lot darker and more interesting)
    Practical Magic (the film doesn't resemble the novel that much)
    Drive.
    The Natural (the changes in the film worked, though)
    Fight Club

Hah, I put up with that because at least someone was trying to bring Chuck Palahniuk to a wider audience than just the reading public. Palahniuk fulfils the promise that Brett Easton Ellis failed to deliver on and Americans don't seem to notice culture unless it's on a screen.

Personally, and on the subject of great American authors, the film version of The Shipping News is considerably toned down from the dark vision of Annie Proulx' novel. The selling of Quoyle's daughter to a paedophile is expunged and the lawless and (sometimes) incestuous behaviour of the inhabitants of Killick-Claw is heavily bowdlerised.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book and film versions of The Man With The Golden Arm share the same characters and setting but are essentially two completely different stories.

Both are great in their own way but Nelson Algren was apparently very bitter at the way Otto Preminger completely rewrote his story.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    The Hobbit.
    Definitely I Am Legend
    Mary Poppins...
    Blade Runner
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hobbit - Imo they've padded it out far too much.

The LOTR films - Some of the changes are alright, and I understand why they've been made. Others, though, really spoil what for me could have been a definitive adaptation. The worst one is the use of the ghost army, which imo is just so bad.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    The Day of the Triffids.

War of the Worlds (any version - though Spielberg's is remarkable in its moronic updating).

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Similar in events, but the book (excellent, btw) is written entirely from the tall, mute Indian's perspective.

Note: though Ridley Scott's version of Hannibal stays roughly faithful for the mainstay, it thankfully jettisons the unintentionally laughable ending of the trashy book for something far more sober.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thought I got when I read the thread title was I Am Legend, but people have already mention that so I think I will add Bourne, especially Supremacy and Ultimatum, Jumper is another one that differs quite a bit. Eragon anyone mention that yet? Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief. Also is comic books allowed because if so the Wanted is fairly off the mark.
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kubrick's version of The Shining strayed from the book.

Yes, I thought of that too; and that other King adaptation The Mist.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Lovely Bones to be so different to the book. Lack of character development and such awful mis casting.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Russell's majestic campfest The Lair Of The White Worm shares its title with the Bram Stoker novel and precious little else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Blade Runner' strays quite far from 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'.

'The Birds' is also very, very different from Daphne Du Maurier's short story.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    'Blade Runner' strays quite far from 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'.

'The Birds' is also very, very different from Daphne Du Maurier's short story

Hitchcock also totally changed the story when he filmed Daphne du Maurier's other excellent book, 'Jamaica Inn'. Apparently he also wanted to alter 'Rebecca' quite a bit, but David O Selznick would have none of it.

The movie version of 'Beyond the Poseidon Adventure' had absolutely nothing to do with the book beyond being set on the same ship - despite author Paul Gallico being commissioned to write the sequel especially with a view to it being filmed. None of the characters he used appeared in the eventual movie, and none of the plot elements. Neither book nor film were much cop, incidentally.

'Sahara', based on Clive Cussler's book, was very different from the adventure novel.

'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' was quite different from the book. It retained a few of the same characters, but completely altered their personalities, actions and role in the story. Most characters were scrapped and the plot entirely rewritten.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    The Bourne films.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Although there was a deviation from Fight Club the book, I'd say the film is faithful enough not to deserve inclusion on this thread. Sure, the end chapter is a lot different to the film's ending, but the rest of it was fairly well captured.

The OP created this thread after discovering the ending of My Sister's Keeper is different from the novel's ending, e.g. the question: "what's the biggest unexpected deviation for you, in a film adaptation?"

The ending of Fight Club is significantly different from the one in the novel, so the inclusion of Fight Club in this thread is well justified, surely? At least for me, it is.