Curling; World Juniors, Women's, Men's 2013

Comments

• Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Have Eurosport UK showed any of Scotland matches? every time i turn it on it seems to be Sweden v someone, or Norway v someone.

And that "someone" seems to be Denmark who have had more than their fair share of airtime, should be grateful Germany didn't qualify as Scotland might have had even less, if that's possible.

Scotland cruising into the 1v2 game with a 7-4 win over China. :cool:

Anette Norberg has already found a new challenge, she's just about to take part in the new series of Let's Dance (Swedish Strictly). Something for Eve to look forward to when her time comes. ;)
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,930
    Forum Member
    Have Eurosport UK showed any of Scotland matches? every time i turn it on it seems to be Sweden v someone, or Norway v someone.

Yeah, their game against Norway was on the TV channel. I haven't looked at the schedules but Eurosport don't usually show the 1/2 playoff, so Scotland might need to get to the final to be on TV again.

That seemed a solid performance from the Scots today (Brewster's turn to sit-out again ), China had a lot to play for and were more than capable of causing a few problems.

Edin has another escape, he's been having an adventurous week. What are the chances of Canada losing to both Denmark and Sweden? That would provide an interesting playoff-tiebreak situation.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did early on; but *normal* Eurosport concentrates on the Scandinavian teams (used to be Germany!) :mad:

There is greater choice on Eurosport Player - but SCO are also barely shown there.

Anyway; it's one-two joy for Scotland, they can relax now and watch all the other favourites fall over themselves in the struggle for the tie-breakers and playoffs!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland at 6 all with Finland at the half way mark and Scotland have the hammer. High scoring game.

Canadians at 2 all with denmark and the Danes with the hammer
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    They did early on; but *normal* Eurosport concentrates on the Scandinavian teams (used to be Germany!) :mad:

There is greater choice on Eurosport Player - but SCO are also barely shown there.

As far as I can see there is no live coverage on either Eurosport channels after tonights special coverage of the final round robin games from 4am to 6am on Eurosport 2. There is one hour's coverage at 1am tomorrow night - which could be a playoff match but the remaining coverage all seems to be highlights in the early mornings (Fri and Sat) with the bronze and gold medal matches shown as highlights on Monday daytime.

So from now on its the Eurosport player - or bust! Very annoying that the early rounds are shown live but not the finals - which could have been shown live Sunday night!

Looks like Denmark have beaten Canada - sadly the Eurosport player coverage has moved to Norway vs USA rather than showing Scotland against another European team!

PS Is Scotland not in Europe!?:D
    Forum Member
    Well the Scots manage to lose to Finland - so its onto the 1-2 play off with a nice rest. I blame the fact that David Murdoch hadn't bothered to shave!

However the possible combinations for the other places are still many.

As Denmark have just beaten Canada its no longer certain Canada will make the 1-2 game i.e. they must beat Sweden.

In terms of the battle for 4th place in the playoffs we could have a very complex series of tiebreakers - in theory Sweden, China, Norway, Switzerland, USA and the Czechs could all be on 6-5 after the final round robin games.
    Forum Member
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that with the knowledge of having already got the 1/2 place in the bag Murdoch and co were just throwing rocks around for fun tonight! Might as well give up three's when it doesn't matter I suppose.

Well done Denmark, I hope Edin and Swedish boys follow your lead later on tonight.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    SWE 11 CAN 7 :D

So amazingly it's Sco v Swe in the page 1v2 game and Can end up in the 3/4 game :D:D against Den.

Oh to see the Canadian faces.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahahaha :D

That is all
    Forum Member
    Just amazing how that all worked out in the final two draws. Of all the permutations that could have happened, this was the one I really didn't see coming :) Ulstrud will be kicking himself over the loss to USA, and I do feel a little sympathy for the Czechs, they just let it slip in the last few ends.

Now what's going to happen? I can't believe Scotland are going to do it the easy way, it's just not...well Scottish really. Are Canada going to lose again to Denmark? Murdoch might have to an Evie; lose to Sweden, beat Canada (on the last rock), beat Sweden in the final?? I wonder :)
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Just amazing how that all worked out in the final two draws. Of all the permutations that could have happened, this was the one I really didn't see coming :) Ulstrud will be kicking himself over the loss to USA, and I do feel a little sympathy for the Czechs, they just let it slip in the last few ends.

Now what's going to happen? I can't believe Scotland are going to do it the easy way, it's just not...well Scottish really. Are Canada going to lose again to Denmark? Murdoch might have to an Evie; lose to Sweden, beat Canada (on the last rock), beat Sweden in the final?? I wonder :)

Well Canada may still win - but part of the difficulty with their system is that they always send different teams each year to the Olympics and worlds. Some are experienced - others like this team less so. Whereas the other national teams are used to playing each other regularly - they almost always send the same rinks - Canada rarely does.

I am sure if Cheryl Bernard for example had played Norberg more often she might not have been psyched out by Anette in the 2010 Olympic final - it was effectively her first time representing Canada as she won the Olympic trials.

Who will Canada send to the Olympics - no one knows. But we all know the Swedish, GB, Norwegian, Danish, rinks ETC and they can plan accordingly
    Forum Member
    Typical, they've chosen that the 1/2 game will be played first so that means it'll start at 3am tonight whereas the 3/4 game will be played at the much more UK friendly time of 7pm tomorrow.

Both games are on the player.
    Forum Member

....means they have to go to the Olympic qualification event too. A double whammy.
    Forum Member
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    Typical, they've chosen that the 1/2 game will be played first so that means it'll start at 3am tonight whereas the 3/4 game will be played at the much more UK friendly time of 7pm tomorrow.

Both games are on the player.

Well I am getting used to these late night games – was in the US last week so my body is still on US time.

Eurosport had tv coverage from 4am to 6am this morning – which I logically assumed was live coverage of the final round robin games (e.g. Sweden vs Canada). In fact it was extended highlights of the Sweden vs Denmark match which they had already shown last night. Imagine my annoyance – although the live coverage was on the player!

So idea why they could not show the page 1-2 game live at 4am tonight – if they had curling on the same time last night?

I am of course grateful to Eurosport – as without them there would be no tv coverage at all!

PS Interesting stat for the Scots – when Greg Drummond plays they win! The 3 matches they lost were all the ones he sat out. We could have Team Brewster without a Brewster!
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well I am getting used to these late night games – was in the US last week so my body is still on US time.

Eurosport had tv coverage from 4am to 6am this morning – which I logically assumed was live coverage of the final round robin games (e.g. Sweden vs Canada). In fact it was extended highlights of the Sweden vs Denmark match which they had already shown last night. Imagine my annoyance – although the live coverage was on the player!

So idea why they could not show the page 1-2 game live at 4am tonight – if they had curling on the same time last night?

I am of course grateful to Eurosport – as without them there would be no tv coverage at all!

PS Interesting stat for the Scots – when Greg Drummond plays they win! The 3 matches they lost were all the ones he sat out. We could have Team Brewster without a Brewster!

Very interesting !! He's got to play then. I presume he'll play at second, Brewster third and a toss up for lead.

The team statistics don't seem to be up on Curling Zone. I'd love to know how their percentages match up.
    Forum Member
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    Very interesting !! He's got to play then. I presume he'll play at second, Brewster third and a toss up for lead.

The team statistics don't seem to be up on Curling Zone. I'd love to know how their percentages match up.

You can view the key stats for each game in each draw on the Canadian curling site – that also shows live scores for games in progress and all the results so far.

http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/?e=12

Cannot see aggregate scores – but you could work them out if you look at all 17 draws!
    Forum Member
    Well Canada may still win - but part of the difficulty with their system is that they always send different teams each year to the Olympics and worlds. Some are experienced - others like this team less so. Whereas the other national teams are used to playing each other regularly - they almost always send the same rinks - Canada rarely does.

I am sure if Cheryl Bernard for example had played Norberg more often she might not have been psyched out by Anette in the 2010 Olympic final - it was effectively her first time representing Canada as she won the Olympic trials.

Who will Canada send to the Olympics - no one knows. But we all know the Swedish, GB, Norwegian, Danish, rinks ETC and they can plan accordingly

Oh, I agree completely, nothing beats experience and it's doubly true when it comes to the big international tournaments. That Olympic final you mention was epic, I reckon just about everybody thought Bernard had that won. Even the great Kevin Martin has wobbled in the big games as well. I reckon even the experience of playing the junior events helps a lot in building up the mental toughness. Look at Eve, been through it all so often at junior level it's just water off a ducks back to her now. She's obviously not going to win everything, but I doubt she'll ever lose one because she's bottled it.

I don't know if you have bothered reading the Curling Zone forums but at the start of the week the Canadians were being cocky about their own teams, and at the same time quite dismissive, even disrespectful, of the other teams. Which I thought reflected team Jacobs attitude to the other teams funnily enough. You know the sort of thing; that there's about 20 Canadian teams who are better than most of what's at the Worlds and that there isn't a single non Canadian team there who could win Briar ( though a few did say Murdoch, Edin and Ulstrud would at least be able to compete). Then team Canada started to lose a couple of games and all the whining and bitching started about Jacobs and why can't he beat these teams that could never survive in Canada. It apparently prompted a response from Ryan Fry of Team Jacobs:
    Lol. Curlingzone world. Fact - playing at this level is never easy. These teams despite popular belief are not easy to beat. Yes, Stoughton, Martin, Howard are amazing, they acomplised things that most won't. Take this to heart...we are giving everything we have...I hope it's enough! We apparently suck in the morning lol. Bare with us, cause we will be dying to win this event. 7-2 still in the hunt!! FRY.

So, I wonder if they find these teams 'hard to beat' because they just don't play them and come up against their different styles often enough, or the pressure of playing two draws day after day is a bit of a mental shock, I dunno. Maybe they might want to think about coming over and playing some more European events here and there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That final point's a good one....we know the Europeans go over to Canada for experience, but how many Canadian/USA rinks do you see over here? Very few and very seldom. It will come as a shock to the Canadians that some European and Asian rinks are, actually, rather good.

And Canada have previous in bottling it, not many years ago (was it Kevin Martin?) they froze on their last stone, threw it away and let Murdoch in for his gold. On home ice, too.

But looking away from Canada, the absolute best thing is how the Chinese came along, and now the Japanese, Czechs and so on adding strength in depth to world curling. Now, all we need is an Isle Of Man team......
    Forum Member
    Oh, I agree completely, nothing beats experience and it's doubly true when it comes to the big international tournaments. That Olympic final you mention was epic, I reckon just about everybody thought Bernard had that won. .

Yes - that Olympic final is still on you tube and is a testament to the legend that is Anette Norberg.

It was incredibly dramatic (the packed house and a patriotic Canadian home crowd made it extra so) - especially at 2hours 43 minutes when Bernard missed that shot that would have given her the gold ('curl' 'curl' 'curl' - and it never did!). And again the dramatic miss by Cheryl in the extra end at 3hrs and 6 mins which gave the Swedes the win (although I'm sure all that screeching by the Canadian No 3 caused the last stone to go off course!).

Hopefully Eve will be able to match this next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVdQQYRGaI
    Forum Member
    Sadly Scotland lost the 1-2 play off against Canada overnight - so now face the winner of the 3-4 game between Denmark and Canada at midnight UK time tonight.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2013/04/06/sweden-to-play-for-gold-at-ford-worlds/

I do hope Canada lose - this particular quote (explaining their losses this week) particularly irked! Apparently they are the best team but have only lost because the other teams raise their game 'well above their usual level' when playing Canada.;)

"The Jacobs crew only arrived later for the worlds than several other teams, but Fry said travel-related fatigue has not been an issue.

Instead, he noted, the Canadians have had a harder time dealing with back-to-back games and short rest times between evening and morning games. As a result, said Fry, the hosts have not been as precise with their shots as they were earlier in the week, when they opened with five straight wins.

The Canadians, he added, have also had to contend with international rinks that play well above their usual level just because Canada is the opposition."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booo. But SCO are still in it > semi-final tonight which I reckon is at midnight (anyone confirm?).
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Booo. But SCO are still in it > semi-final tonight which I reckon is at midnight (anyone confirm?).

Yes - 4pm local time so midnight tonight. Scotland await the winner of Canada and Denmark which is on at 7pm UK time.

The bronze medal game is on at 6pm tomorrow night and the gold medal one at midnight UK time.

http://www.curling.ca/championships/worlds/drawschedule/

Only on the player - although the bronze/gold highlights are on Eurosport tv on Monday at 9am and 12noon respectively. Well I assume that's whats being shown - I was expecting to see the 1-2 delayed highlights on the TV this morning but they instead showed the final Canada vs Sweden round robin game for the third time! Doesn't help that it takes them 48 hours to upload the player library.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Brewster, you are the weakest link.........Dave Murdoch could be heard after the match saying to Niklas Edin "it was a battle of the threes" and you can see from the stats it was no contest. Brewster was missing shot after shot as Luke Coley almost seem to relish telling us at every end. It was some saving stones by Murdoch and Edin's only miss in the 9th end which led to the flattering score for Scotland of 5-6. Sweden were in control throughout. Will Scotland (and Brewster) be brave enough to leave him out for the semi-final? His presence, when playing like is clearly a strain on Murdoch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - 4pm local time so midnight tonight. Scotland await the winner of Canada and Denmark which is on at 7pm UK time.

The bronze medal game is on at 6pm tomorrow night and the gold medal one at midnight UK time.

http://www.curling.ca/championships/worlds/drawschedule/

Only on the player - although the bronze/gold highlights are on Eurosport tv on Monday at 9am and 12noon respectively. Well I assume that's whats being shown - I was expecting to see the 1-2 delayed highlights on the TV this morning but they instead showed the final Canada vs Sweden round robin game for the third time! Doesn't help that it takes them 48 hours to upload the player library.
    I know they (often) show two games live on the player, but the main service and catch-up is phenominally poor. With
    the Juniors if I remember rightly the videos were available on catch-up within a couple of hours. If the WCF can do it on their own....why the f can't a huge organisation like Eurosport do it too?

Huge? probably more like a tiny tin-pot organisation that feeds on others pictures.

Someone has to sit down with the WCF and sort this out. Own website, own pictures, videos on within an hour and take the subscription. Where's the problem?

Anyway, rant over.....lookin' forward to a great final Scotland v Denmark!!! :p