Why do Some People Think Higgins is Robin Masters?

Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
Forum Member
It frustrates me.

I've argued with friends and work colleagues for decades, about this.

There is at least one episode were they both feature at the same time!

Plus we get to see Robin on his private jet and in his Rolls.

He is even speaking to both Magnum & Higgins on the red telephone at one point.

We hear his voice! He is voiced by Orson Welles!

And still people try to tell me that Higgins is really Robin Masters.

He isn't.

Comments

• radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down, why are you getting so aerated about a show that finished nearly 30 years ago. And yes the are two different people.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    All the arguments that I have had on this subject all came flooding back last week when ITV4 aired an episode with Robin Masters in it.

I just don't see why some people think that Higgins and Robin are the same person.

Where have they got this idea from? They are adamant!
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It frustrates me.

He isn't.

Thread closed - you have everyone convinced.....:)
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Thread closed - you have everyone convinced.....:)

Where were you 20 years ago when I needed a wing man?

It was just me, & me alone, against Chris, Barry &Stu.
  • baldtonybaldtony Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Because towards the end of the series, they started to imply that he was. Clearly ignoring what had come before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

Basically, he wasn't Robin Masters, but Magnum thought he was.
    Forum Member
    That will probably be it.

Even though it makes no sense to try to change something like that.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Masters is a multi-millionaire. He lets Magnum P.I. use his Ferrarri, at many points during the show there are indications Masters is a maverick. I think an millionaire could hire an actor to keep his charade. I think a multi-millionaire could hire Orson Wells to keep his charade. In addition Robin Masters is an author of Crime Fiction. Would it not seem reasonable that Higgins is Masters using Magnum as his, for want of a better word, Muse.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Robin Masters is a multi-millionaire. He lets Magnum P.I. use his Ferrarri, at many points during the show there are indications Masters is a maverick. I think an millionaire could hire an actor to keep his charade. I think a multi-millionaire could hire Orson Wells to keep his charade. In addition Robin Masters is an author of Crime Fiction. Would it not seem reasonable that Higgins is Masters using Magnum as his, for want of a better word, Muse.

Wouldn't be the first time that plot device has been used. Remington Steele and the Sherlock Holmes film Without A Clue used it.
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think so.

Because we get to see Robin Masters in his chauffeur driven Rolls narrowly avoiding an ambush in rural France at the same time that Higgins is in Hawaii with Magnum.

We, as the viewers, actually see & hear Robin talking to the chauffeur about the incident as they are escaping.

So it would make no sense to employ an actor to play Robin Masters on the other side of the world with no witnesses to the act.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so.

Because we get to see Robin Masters in his chauffeur driven Rolls narrowly avoiding an ambush in rural France at the same time that Higgins is in Hawaii with Magnum.

We, as the viewers, actually see & hear Robin talking to the chauffeur about the incident as they are escaping.

So it would make no sense to employ an actor to play Robin Masters on the other side of the world with no witnesses to the act.

No witnesses, except Thomas Magnum.

Edit, btw I'm not personally convinced by the Higgins is Robin Masters theory of Magnum and tbh, I only watched it first run when I was pretty young. But it is *possible*.
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    No witnesses, except Thomas Magnum.

Edit, btw I'm not personally convinced by the Higgins is Robin Masters theory of Magnum and tbh, I only watched it first run when I was pretty young. But it is *possible*.

The only witness to Robin being himself in the car in France is the viewer.

I see your point about it being theoretically feasible, apart from the fact that the actor as Robin is still playing the role when he is by himself, only for the benefit of the viewer ( you & I ).

If that makes any sense.

Bed time for me, night.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These arguments make the classic mistake of equating the author (of the series) with God.

It's just made up as they go, and often retconed when they are running out of ideas.

So at the start of the series they could have been playing it straight with Higgins as the house-keeper, later on thinking it would be fun to suggest that Higgins is Robin would be very consistent with US TV series that are making 20 episodes a year and are almost running dry of ideas.

Jessica Fletcher appeared in this show, that says it all.

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth is this thread all about ?
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    These arguments make the classic mistake of equating the author (of the series) with God.

It's just made up as they go, and often retconed when they are running out of ideas.

So at the start of the series they could have been playing it straight with Higgins as the house-keeper, later on thinking it would be fun to suggest that Higgins is Robin would be very consistent with US TV series that are making 20 episodes a year and are almost running dry of ideas.

Jessica Fletcher appeared in this show, that says it all.

Good points.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

Whether or not Higgins was really Robin Masters.
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Oh, do keep up. Zeuss, Apollo... get him.