Windows Live Mail and KB2670838

NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else run into this issue?

Windows Update KB2670838 may affect Windows Live Mail on Windows 7

For me I get the black background every now and then. Restarting WLM fixes the problem. It seems the only solution right now is to uninstall KB2670838 which will also auto-uninstall IE 10 if applicable.

For now, I'll wait to see if a fix appears.

I've not experienced any other issues as far as I can tell. Though I have noticed WLM 2012 to be a bit more unstable than the previous version. Not sure whether this is related to KB2670838 or is just there anyway.

Comments

• thespooksterthespookster Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    There are LOTS of people having issues with this update, including me. Beware that installing IE10 will forcibly install this update aswell as it's a prerequisite for IE10.

For me it breaks Aero theme in Windows 7 so everything runs in basic mode, plus browsers like firefox just crash on open, and everything just seems broken. Had to uninstall to get back to normal.

All to do with graphics changes and hardware acceleration for browsers. Hopefully a fix will be available soon either by MS or graphics card drivers from the likes of Nvidia.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are LOTS of people having issues with this update, including me. Beware that installing IE10 will forcibly install this update aswell as it's a prerequisite for IE10.

Yes, I may well have got it this way.
    For me it breaks Aero theme in Windows 7 so everything runs in basic mode, plus browsers like firefox just crash on open, and everything just seems broken. Had to uninstall to get back to normal.

No problems for me with Aero. Firefox is my primary browser but not had any issues.
    All to do with graphics changes and hardware acceleration for browsers. Hopefully a fix will be available soon either by MS or graphics card drivers from the likes of Nvidia.

I have hardware acceleration turned on in Firefox and I have Nvidia graphics. I did receive an Nvidia update about a couple of weeks ago but I guess that was for other issues.

It seems to be somewhat random exactly what adverse consequences you may experience from this update!