Verizon bans LTE NExus 7.

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/166763-verizon-pleads-incompetence-skirts-illegality-by-refusing-to-activate-nexus-7-on-its-lte-network?

An interesting and worrying turn of events.
I half wonder if they expand it to Android phones. Until recent users had control of how things connect to networks, at least on non IOS devices. Apple maybe first tested some of the water with their LTE network controls.

Comments

• Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    The US mobile phone system is very different to the ones we are sued to in the UK, and further afield in continental Europe, with embedded sim cards/phones with no sims etc being normal and networks deciding on what connects and what doesn't.

plus on the face of it there appears to be a distinct lack of real competition and as a result the prices are significantly higher
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: not really much point responding to this.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I commonly switch SIMs, depending on which device suits the occasion.

From the comments Verizon have not placed the device on their system (automatic if one?)
    If you read anehlo's very valid looking comment you know it is capable of working on their network but.

"..... the fact that Verizon is refusing to activate Nexus 7s is not because it's not compatible with their system -- as my case proves, it is compatible -- but because, for reasons that we can only speculate, the CHOOSE not to activate this device."
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange behaviour from Verizon, or maybe not so strange. I suspect the only reason they dislike this is because this device allows their potential customers to switch to a competitor very easily. Rather than the typical locked down Verizon devices, so they've chosen not to activate this device. There's more than enough evidence showing that it's not a technical limitation on their network. They have made the decision themselves to block the device.

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was an unmitigated disaster, it's certainly a frustrating decision for those consumers affected.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turns out it is close to being a manufactured story.

It appears that the 3G does not work which is required to activate a new SIM, not the device.
    That would mean any working SIM is fine, and you can activate a new SIM via a CDMA phone.

Interestingly, prices are coming down in the US.
    It is now only about £50 pm (($70) fora 12GB data plan with Verizon!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the original 16gb Nexus 7 wi-fi only verson thats now 15 months old and I do love it.
    I been holding off getting the new Nexus 7 to see if they will bring out a wif-fi with 3g/4g versoin of the tablet.

Darren