Lucy Meacock on ITV News

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    What tosh. :rolleyes: Obviously you've got considered she may be very well paid at Granada, has great benefits and actually likes it there.

You've never even heard of her, so how you can possibly gauge how good a newsreader she is I don't know.

For someone to have worked for regional ITV for so long and never have had the promotion to national TV must show that she is second rate.
    Forum Member
    What consitutes a "real" news supplier?

The guys who work on the ITV regional news magazines do a great job.

Make the most of them while you can as it all could be over by 2014.

You call them ITV "regional news magazines"???

What a joke??

ITV's trailers for London Tonight make it look as if they are trying to promote some high class hooker.

Then they have too many soft non-news stories and too many competitions involving the obligatory 090 phone numbers.

ITV regional news has to be avoided whenever possible.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You call them ITV "regional news magazines"???

What a joke??

ITV's trailers for London Tonight make it look as if they are trying to promote some high class hooker.

Then they have too many soft non-news stories and too many competitions involving the obligatory 090 phone numbers.

The London news programme is a special case, since the ITN takeover from LNN in 2003, showbiz, rubbish competitions, property guff and giggling national newsreaders taking the rise have become the norm with various freelancers doing basic reporting gigs which would be a contract job if they work in a newsroom owned by ITV. Although ITN do hire correspondents on London Tonight.

The one exception was the recent LT documentary with Chris Rogers which was excellent.

Calendar and Central News (West) are two examples of good news services from ITV.

As for your comments about Lucy, I disagree totally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    If she was any good, the Meacock person would have left ITV / Granada years ago to work for a real news supplier.

yeah, she'll only ever really make it if she does dancing on ice or IACGMOOH :confused: :rolleyes: :p

I don't know if you can call them all the same. I still think of Carlton as a catalogue publisher that lucked out ! As others have pointed out ITV Granada won a Bafta for their coverage of the morecambe bay cockle pickers tragedy. Beating the BBC, ITN etc. They used to make World in Action which was great before dumbed down Trevor McDonut's Tonight was crowbarred into it's slot. I think they've got some great people who work on our local news and it's at least as good (if not better) than the BBC in our region.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For someone to have worked for regional ITV for so long and never have had the promotion to national TV must show that she is second rate.

You're being hard there VV. Perhaps her husband has a very good job in the North West. Her kids may be happy at school. There are lots of reasons why she wouldn't want to move to London...
    Forum Member
    yeah, she'll only ever really make it if she does dancing on ice or IACGMOOH :confused: :rolleyes: :p

I don't know if you can call them all the same. I still think of Carlton as a catalogue publisher that lucked out ! As others have pointed out ITV Granada won a Bafta for their coverage of the morecambe bay cockle pickers tragedy. Beating the BBC, ITN etc. They used to make World in Action which was great before dumbed down Trevor McDonut's Tonight was crowbarred into it's slot. I think they've got some great people who work on our local news and it's at least as good (if not better) than the BBC in our region.

Cockle pickers story happened in Feb 2004. ITV has dumbed down considerably since. World In Action is nothing like the low level of the populist Tonight show.

Having every ITV regional news programme look the same, Calendar, Lookaround, Central News, ruins it too. Long gone are the days when each ITV regional news programme did actually look and feel different.

Meacock can stay at Granada local news as far as I am concerned.
    Forum Member
    The Bafta was for covering the trial which was later (which was why they won it this yr). They did a lot on the backstory tracing the victims lives back to China etc.

By bringing up Granada making World In Action, I was implying when this ended a lot of their employees which would have worked on that show (doing proper in depth reporting) would have stayed within Granada news. That's probably why it's so good.

In saying she should do Dancing on Ice I was implying that by your measure Kay Burley is a better newsreader because she is on Sky for 2 hours a day or whatever ? I know who I'd rather watch !

I agree that regional news has got worse over time, but It's not all bad.

I also hope she stays at Granada too. I watch Granada reports and avoid ITV news most of the time.
    Forum Member
    The Bafta was for covering the trial which was later (which was why they won it this yr). They did a lot on the backstory tracing the victims lives back to China etc.

By bringing up Granada making World In Action, I was implying when this ended a lot of their employees which would have worked on that show (doing proper in depth reporting) would have stayed within Granada news. That's probably why it's so good.

In saying she should do Dancing on Ice I was implying that by your measure Kay Burley is a better newsreader because she is on Sky for 2 hours a day or whatever ? I know who I'd rather watch !

I agree that regional news has got worse over time, but It's not all bad.

I also hope she stays at Granada too. I watch Granada reports and avoid ITV news most of the time.

I feel that tracing the victims back to China goes outside of the scope of "regional" news.

I don't watch Sky News either.

I prefer BBC News 24, and print media.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cockle pickers story happened in Feb 2004. ITV has dumbed down considerably since. World In Action is nothing like the low level of the populist Tonight show.

Having every ITV regional news programme look the same, Calendar, Lookaround, Central News, ruins it too. Long gone are the days when each ITV regional news programme did actually look and feel different.

Meacock can stay at Granada local news as far as I am concerned.

They have also won 2 other awards as well this year so it cant be doing that bad. And we don't get adverts for Granada Reports either, it just comes on at 6.

Granada Reports is also broadcast online for those who haven't got Sky and want to watch it- but haven't tuned in ITV Granada

http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/

Each show goes up after it has been broadcast so if you want to see for yourself vinegar vera then watch it tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    tom0101 wrote: »
    They have also won 2 other awards as well this year so it cant be doing that bad. And we don't get adverts for Granada Reports either, it just comes on at 6.

Granada Reports is also broadcast online for those who haven't got Sky and want to watch it- but haven't tuned in ITV Granada

http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/

Each show goes up after it has been broadcast so if you want to see for yourself vinegar vera then watch it tomorrow.

Regional news has never interested me. If Meacock had been of anybody else's interest within ITV they would have promoted her years ago.

I remember a certain Fiona Armstrong of Border's Lookaround who was catapulted to ITN News. Strange that Meacock has never had her own nightly national bulletin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Ayr wrote: »
    All other regions are micro'd, as in, adverts are split to the relevant parts of the channels coverage,

News is also split between sub-opts.

Yorkshire has two editions of Calendar, one for North and West Yorks, the other for South and East Yorks, North Mids, Lincs and North Norfolk.

Central has two editions for the West and East Mids, plus the Central South opt takes Thames Valley News with Meridian North.

Meridian has 3 - East, South and Thames Valley.

I think Westcounty have two news opts although the South version is only on Sky.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regional news has never interested me. If Meacock had been of anybody else's interest within ITV they would have promoted her years ago.

I remember a certain Fiona Armstrong of Border's Lookaround who was catapulted to ITN News. Strange that Meacock has never had her own nightly national bulletin.

Well like other people have said- perhaps she doesn't want to move? Perhaps she is happy where she is? Perhaps she likes it at Granada which is the important thing- enjoying your job and not going for the highest status just because you can and then not enjoying it.
    Forum Member
    I prefer BBC News 24, and print media.

and there was me thinking you'd be an Al Jazeera fan :D
    Forum Member
    and there was me thinking you'd be an Al Jazeera fan :D

:D:D:D:D
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

However, VV, Fiona is now back at Border doing Lookaround and their regional 7.30 opt-outs flying over the Border region and visiting places (= travelogue)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sets and graphics are the same, however each edition still has a local editor who selects the running order, although they'll have certain features which they're told to do from London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    IMO London Tonight copes incredibly well with the fact that any significant 'hard news' stories in London will be on the national news, (no doubt much to the chagrin of people elsewhere in the UK).
    Also the prevalence of phone-in competitions and showbiz items is massively overstated, though Fridays' programmes do tend to be a bit weak.

As for other regions, I occasionally get to see Central News West and I'm afraid I find it pretty much defines tedium, I'll only leave it on if I'm waiting for the national news.

Back to Lucy Meacock - Saturday night was the first time that I have seen her and she was technically very good. I would imagine she had rehearsed that bulletin quite a few times. :)
    Unfortunately I'm not too keen on her voice. It's not particularly the accent, which is fairly soft, just the overall sound and cadence is such that I wouldn't want to listen to her for a full, half-hour bulletin.
    One other thing, Kier Simmons looked and sounded as if he had been dragged in on his day off to stand outside a Tesco store, consequently his report was not exactly stellar. Perhaps it's just me but I thought the rather pointed way that Lucy said his name after the report was telling. :eek:
    Anyway, as has been said, she's probably perfectly happy on Granada Reports and if she has ever wanted to move or work in London I doubt that it's something she'd be looking to do now.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Granada has pretty well cornered the market over the years. Richard Madeley, Judy Finnigan, Fred Talbot, Tony Wilson, Elton Welsby and now Lucy Meacock.

I still like some other poster miss the proper type of regionalisation. I looked foward to one day being able to watch other regions other that the way we can actually do now.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,310
    Forum Member
    Apart from the Granada Reports job that Lucy Meacock has done now for countless years, she's also hosted countless other regional shows, most notable was the studio discussion show with Tony Wilson and then on her own after Wilson left.

Perhaps in the past when ITN have come knocking at the door she's been busy in Granada land and earning enough money to pass on the promotion. Just because she done national news before now, doesn't mean she isn't a good presenter. I could use Stuart Hall as an example, as he has presented both Granada and BBC regional news programmes in the past, but didn't go on to the national news.
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    However, VV, Fiona is now back at Border doing Lookaround and their regional 7.30 opt-outs flying over the Border region and visiting places (= travelogue)

At least she went higher up the ladder though. Her downfall was GMTV.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GMTV is the graveyard of sub-standard news presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO London Tonight copes incredibly well with the fact that any significant 'hard news' stories in London will be on the national news,

Meaning that they hand viewers over to BBC London News on a platter then? :rolleyes:
    Also the prevalence of phone-in competitions and showbiz items is massively overstated, though Fridays' programmes do tend to be a bit weak.

I'd agree with you on LT's weekend content, which does seem to be newsy due to the time constraints of the bulletins, while the Mon-Fri 6pm edition is too cosy for my liking. Friday's even during the LNN era were more relaxed. Mon-Thurs however is still too showbiz obsessed even though they've had serious news higher up the order recently.
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i like lucy meacock and i can't remember a time when she wasn't on granada reports - she must've been on it 20 yrs. I live in Granadaland and it is a very good local news programme - but i very rarely watch it.

Granada news used to be good. It's a crying shame that it has become bland, sofa-led nonsense with invitations to 'text us your views' and ring premium-rate telephone lines to win some silly competition. ITV really doesn't cut the mustard any more as a credible broadcaster...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Great to see Lucy back on ITV National News tonight.
  • BriladBrilad Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRING BACK BOB GREAVES! (...if he's not dead, obviously).