Blondie

CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A very interesting documentary on BBC4 recently about Blondie. Then I saw the end credits and found it was from 2006...>! But it prompted me to dig out Parallel Lines which I hadn`t played in years and quite forgotten what a great album it is. (Apart from the obligatory duff track "i know but I don`t know" - pure filler material imho...)

Comments

• Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie were, and still are a brilliant band.

Parallel Lines is almost a greatest hits album, and is the one most people know, but all their albums are excellent.

They actually have a huge variety of styles, which puts some off if they are expecting everything to sound like Parallel Lines.

Their first album is great fun, with a retro feel about it.

Autoamerican was when they really went for a change of style, as is The Hunter, which never really got the aclaim it deserves.

The comeback albums follow the pattern of huge variety, and contain some great music.

They're still excellent live.

They're touring here this summer. Go and see them. I am. :)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the first two albums, Blondie and Plastic Letters, are brilliant, Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat are good, but then for me their sound became far too commercial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the first two albums, Blondie and Plastic Letters, are brilliant, Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat are good, but then for me their sound became far too commercial.

Really?

They got a lot of flak after Eat To The Beat for leaving their commercial sound behind, and experimenting with many different styles.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie were, and still are a brilliant band.

Parallel Lines is almost a greatest hits album, and is the one most people know, but all their albums are excellent.

They actually have a huge variety of styles, which puts some off if they are expecting everything to sound like Parallel Lines.

Their first album is great fun, with a retro feel about it.

Autoamerican was when they really went for a change of style, as is The Hunter, which never really got the aclaim it deserves.

The comeback albums follow the pattern of huge variety, and contain some great music.

They're still excellent live.

They're touring here this summer. Go and see them. I am. :)

Same, in Camden. I ordered another Blondie LP and a picture disc last night. I don't own half as many Blondie records as I should do considering they're one of my favourite bands.

Debbie Harry is still one of the sexiest women ever and I say that as a twenty year old female. ha.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've never listened to or bought any of their albums but they had some good singles. The Tide Is High, Heart of Glass, War Child and Rifle Range are some of my favourite Blondie songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Am ashamed to say I've never actually heard a 'proper' Blondie album? It's always been 'Best Of's or 'Greatest Hits', I think somehow I had an idea of them as a 'singles' band and just stuck with it.
    I will have to rectify that, any suggestions on where to start? Parallel Lines seems to get mentioned the most it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am ashamed to say I've never actually heard a 'proper' Blondie album? It's always been 'Best Of's or 'Greatest Hits', I think somehow I had an idea of them as a 'singles' band and just stuck with it.
    I will have to rectify that, any suggestions on where to start? Parallel Lines seems to get mentioned the most it seems.

They're all great in my opinion, but Parallel Lines is the obvious starting point. Many well known songs on it, with hardly a weak spot. Fade Away and Radiate is probably my favourite Blondie song.

Eat To The Beat continued in similar vein, but the other albums have varying styles, but are all worth a listen.

Autoamerican and The Hunter are brilliant, as are the first album and Plastic Letters.

I seem to have recommended all six albums they released in their heyday.:)

The reunion albums aren't at all bad either.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autoamerican and The Hunter are brilliant, as are the first album and Plastic Letters.

Whoa! I love Blondie but i don't think The Hunter is anything more than a sloppy collection of songs put out by a band who knew this was the end and couldn't really be bothered. Think it's easily their weakest album (inc all 3 new ones).
    Dragonfly is a truely dire song!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Whoa! I love Blondie but i don't think The Hunter is anything more than a sloppy collection of songs put out by a band who knew this was the end and couldn't really be bothered. Think it's easily their weakest album (inc all 3 new ones).
    Dragonfly is a truely dire song!

That's a common feeling, but I love it. It is much better than it is given credit for, although I agree, they were in a bit of turmoil by then.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never listened to or bought any of their albums but they had some good singles. The Tide Is High, Heart of Glass, War Child and Rifle Range are some of my favourite Blondie songs.

The Tide Is High is a great cover.

It was also number one the day I was born.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Saw them supporting Television so many years ago.

Haven't seen them since but I was dragged to the Eurythmics once and spent the evening watching the great Clem Burke.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Curse Of Blondie had some magnificent tracks on it, but also two or three that should never have been released. Fortunately, the best tracks are so good that they make up for the dross. Has Blondie ever released a stronger track than Golden Rod?
    Ignoring Parallel Lines, Plastic Letters is my favourite for its sheer variety.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First five albums were great then they started to lose it. The Hunter was the first Blondie album that I couldn't listen to all the way through. The 'Island of Lost Souls' single must be the lowest points, I absolutely detested it and still do.

I created my own album from post-Autoamerican material including Debbie Harry solo of what I call the' best of the rest'. Anyone want to add any other tracks?

- I want that man - Debbie Harry
    - French kissin' in the USA - Debbie Harry
    - Island of lost souls (included only because it was a hit)
    - Dragonfly
    - War child
    - Little Caesar
    - English boys
    - Puerto Rico
    - Maria
    - Nothing is real but the girl
    - End to end
    - Good boys
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw them supporting Television so many years ago.

Haven't seen them since but I was dragged to the Eurythmics once and spent the evening watching the great Clem Burke.

Supporting Television...? My God! We're definitely going back. You must be older than me!:o:D

Remember Clem in the Eurythmics videos, banging away.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone did mention on here somewhere that some people find it hard to get into the albums because they mix up styles too much.

For me thats the reason I like them!

Eat To The Beat & Automerican are my favourites. E2TB is the hardest & noisiest of the bunch. It seemed like they were trying to go raw after the poppiness of Parallel Lines. Atomic is probably my favourite pop single ever. New wave,eurodisco, us disco, rap,pop,cod reggae,jazz,punk its all in there topped off with Debbies criminally underrated lyrics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    They're all great in my opinion, but Parallel Lines is the obvious starting point. Many well known songs on it, with hardly a weak spot. Fade Away and Radiate is probably my favourite Blondie song.

Eat To The Beat continued in similar vein, but the other albums have varying styles, but are all worth a listen.

I seem to have recommended all six albums they released in their heyday.:)

The reunion albums aren't at all bad either.

Sounds like I've got a of of good and varied stuff to look forward to hearing then! I've ordered Parallel Lines and Plastic Letters for starters, cheers for the recommendations. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like I've got a of of good and varied stuff to look forward to hearing then! I've ordered Parallel Lines and Plastic Letters for starters, cheers for the recommendations. :)
    You're definitely in for a real treat. Both are albums that everybody ought to own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought I'd reopen this one.

Saw Blondie at Sherwood Forest last night, and they were simply superb. I haven't seen them for a few years, but they were on great form, and Debbie still looks and sounds great.

Since coming back they have never been prepared to just go through the routine of playing the oldies, and tonight was quite impressive in that half the set must have been new and recent tracks, and they were great.

Plenty of old favourites to keep the fans happy, but the new material really was worth hearing.

Anyone seeing them on this tour should enjoy it.

I hope I get another chance to see them.

And I'm off to see The Who on Tuesday. Not a bad week. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the play Golden Rod? I always thought that would be a real killer track to hear live, but only if they really went for it.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see them on Tuesday in Liverpool, Deep Purple! What oldies were on the setlist ? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    I'm going to see them on Tuesday in Liverpool, Deep Purple! What oldies were on the setlist ? :)

Do you really want me to give it away? :D

Just a taster then. One Way or Another, Dreaming, Atomic, Call Me were in there, plus an interesting version of Maria, if that can be classed as an oldie now.

Plenty of other good stuff too.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Did the play Golden Rod? I always thought that would be a real killer track to hear live, but only if they really went for it.

It's a great song, but no, it wasn't there.

When you consider their back catalogue, they could have played a completely different set, and been just as good.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Do you really want me to give it away? :D

Just a taster then. One Way or Another, Dreaming, Atomic, Call Me were in there, plus an interesting version of Maria, if that can be classed as an oldie now.

Plenty of other good stuff too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah I hate surprises :p

Glad to see Atomic and Call Me there, they are two of my favourites...I assume they did Heart of Glass too? Would of liked to see Picture This but oh well you can't win them all

Thank you :)
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    They were an excellent product of their time. Sadly, bands like that don't get a look in these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    They were an excellent product of their time. Sadly, bands like that don't get a look in these days.

They have made three good albums since reforming, and still put on a great live show. I believe the current tour is sold out, which shows they still have plenty of support.