Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a reply to my email!!

Dear x

Thanks for your email - we are so pleased you like the hotel! we don't have any twin rooms, we only have double rooms with additional pull out beds. Would this be of any interest to you?

Thanks

Eli Gray
    General Manager

Nice of them to reply so quick! I also told her about this thread in case she wanted to come on and read the (good) comments about the hotel :)

Nice one BG! What a lovely sounding treat, hope it works out.
    Hope they come and read this thread, if you are a new business it would be good to know that the publicity from FIAB worked very much in your favour and that being honest, fair and sincere comes across to the viewer aka potential guest.
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed G! Boutique earlier today.

I am planning a birthday trip for my best mate and thought we could go and visit G! but looking at their photos, all the rooms seem to be doubles so I have emailed them to see if they have any twins.

Hopefully they'll reply :)

Didn't Gill & her mate have a family room with a double and a single? Wouldn't that be OK? Or perhaps Eli & Jason put an extra bed in there for them.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Didn't Gill & her mate have a family room with a double and a single? Wouldn't that be OK? Or perhaps Eli & Jason put an extra bed in there for them.

Oh that would be fine!

By the way, I received another email from Eli so hopefully she will post on here. She would receive a warm welcome from us :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that would be fine!

By the way, I received another email from Eli so hopefully she will post on here. She would receive a warm welcome from us :)

She Certainly would :)

Her man is a dish too! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you read this Eli!

Please do post on this thread. We are very friendly and don't bite. We love it when the proprietors from the show come on this thread so we can ask them a few questions, and get to know them and their business a bit better.

You would be made very welcome on here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched for the first time series 2 the week with Charlotte Church's parent's place and a thought came to me.They should do a week with the 4 most nasty and devious owners pitched against each other. I'm reasonably late to 4IAB but I have watched OnD and met the Donkey Lady and now Ziggy and Lynn and I can certainly add the gobsmacking Borrowby Mill ( are they still in business) and the Knock(ers)..There could be blood on the welcome map.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had almost forgotten about the vile excuse for a human being that was Amanda she made Chick look like Emily Bishop.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dont like the concept of this show, its the sort of thing Hyacinth Bucket would go on if she had a B and B.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I had almost forgotten about the vile excuse for a human being that was Amanda she made Chick look like Emily Bishop.

Oh god Amanda from Borrowby Hill was awful, wasn't she?
  • Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone, May I join in please?
    I think I must have watched every episode of FIAB and I love this show.

Like everyone on here I can't believe how some people will behave in order to win a plaque and alienate people! Their prospective clients.

Can someone remind me who Amanda of Borrowby Mill is please?
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Mumsy24 wrote: »

Hello Mumsy and welcome :)
    Amanda was just very plain speaking and awful.
    http://www.borrowbymill.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info and the welcome sheddy 99.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do. And welcome. :) We like fresh blood... :cool:

Said in a sort of vampire-stylee*

Though not a Twilight sort of stylee... :eek:
    Forum Member
    Hello Normandie and thanks.

If I recall correctly you run a B&B in France?

If so you must find FIAB and TIAB before it most amusing. I have never stayed in a B&B but I have seen many examples on the programme of how not to run a B&B and fortunately quite a few examples of how to do it brilliantly.

I loved G Boutique hotel but as much for the owners and management as for the decor.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The dust is starting to settle so hopefully next week will be better (although I'm at an offsite meeting all week).

It seems that perhaps I havent escaped everything just yet...maybe another "phase" later on in the year, but at the moment, there's no point worrying as there's nothing I can do.

Will hopefully try and get home in time next week, as I'm offsite I'm not sure if I'll get home by 5 :(

Don`t worry..we`re almost bound to give you our opinion of it anyways...:D:D

Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I've just watched for the first time series 2 the week with Charlotte Church's parent's place and a thought came to me.They should do a week with the 4 most nasty and devious owners pitched against each other. I'm reasonably late to 4IAB but I have watched OnD and met the Donkey Lady and now Ziggy and Lynn and I can certainly add the gobsmacking Borrowby Mill ( are they still in business) and the Knock(ers)..There could be blood on the welcome map.

Come on Lizaj! Only a week? I can think of several others already, including Mrs T (the mushroom lady). I am sure other FMs can come up with more. At least a 3 week run I think. ;):D:D
    I think I must have watched every episode of FIAB and I love this show.

Like everyone on here I can't believe how some people will behave in order to win a plaque and alienate people! Their prospective clients.

Welcome Mumsy24. As others have said, we love newbies to the thread. The more fans the better. Amanda was probably the most obnoxious cow I have come across on FIAB. She ended up getting hate phone calls, had to take their website down, and got several fake, terrible reviews on TA. Another example of how not to portray yourself and your business on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Amanda was probably the most obnoxious cow I have come across on FIAB. She ended up getting hate phone calls, had to take their website down, and got several fake, terrible reviews on TA. Another example of how not to portray yourself and your business on the show.

Did she really? Remember watching that week and wanting to throw something at the TV. Thing is, this programme is free advertising for your hotel and yet so many of them totally blow it each week:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marthaa wrote: »
    Did she really? Remember watching that week and wanting to throw something at the TV. Thing is, this programme is free advertising for your hotel and yet so many of them totally blow it each week:rolleyes:

BIB. Exactly!

Stick with this thread Marthaa, and you find out all sorts of things. The regular FMs are pretty good at sniffing out interesting stuff about the contestants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome Mumsy 24.
    I am addicted to this show, can't get enough. Time and again people fall into that trap of shooting themselves in the foot, but I am just getting to a stage in life where I can go away a bit more for the odd weekend. That's why I love seeing what's on offer, because I love, love , love Britain, it's beautiful and I haven't seen much of it at all.
    One day, when I win the lottery (;)), I will buy a splitscreen campervan and travel the UK, checking out lots of B&Bs on the way and if i like somewhere enough, I might open my own B&B and stay. You're all invited of course, we'll talk sausages.
    Re Borrowby Mill, Amanda eclipsed nearly everything and everyone else, but I think Irene was enjoying herself there too, giving it back. I loved Irene's steam train activity.
    Another week, looking forward to it.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god Amanda from Borrowby Hill was awful, wasn't she?

Yes - Amanda was pretty odious wasn't she.

Actually refusing to stay in a B&B is about as ill-mannered as it's possible to be. She really didn't do herself any favours.

As, indeed, did the unfortunate Julian Peck of Fieldhead Hotel, Cornwall...

Interestingly, aforementioned Julian has plenty to say about his 'FIAB' experience: http://bit.ly/UwOMkC (scroll down the page to get to Julian's responses).

It makes very enlightening reading!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm gboy, that made me feel very uncomfortable. Very.
    People do apply to be on FIAB, yes? Having said that, I believe there is editing etc, but you can't edit everything and blame everything on that. I believe some apply to the show, because they are so 100% positive that they have an amazing product, yet seem to have been living in a bubble of their own little B&B world and seem genuinely shocked at negative comments.
    In Julian's case, I thought at the time and still think that Katherine and Darren's comments to Gill and Julian were personal and rude, she judged their marriage in a personal way openly at the dinner table. However as far as Julian was concerned, if you willingly appear on TV showcasing your business, then criticism is to be expected and probably tough to hear when it is your total passion, which you have put heart and soul into, but you will be doing the same to the other contestants. It is a game show yes and I think some of extremes people go to, to send their hate to people they don't know anonymously, via the internet is over the top. To comment on what you saw, to be annoyed with certain behaviour is fine, then avoid staying there.
    I think if there are things going on behind the scenes in your personal life and you still make a choice to go on TV, prepare yourself, because if you dish it out, people will definitely give it back. If you would be happy to accept the praise, then you will have to suck up the not so praiseworthy comments, so long as they are not personal and stick to the point. If people get nasty in a personal manner, then respond in such a way which shows that person up even more.
    As for TA, I use it, but I don't feel that in any way is it acceptable to write a review on a place you have not stayed at.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Yes - Amanda was pretty odious wasn't she.

Actually refusing to stay in a B&B is about as ill-mannered as it's possible to be. She really didn't do herself any favours.

As, indeed, did the unfortunate Julian Peck of Fieldhead Hotel, Cornwall...

Interestingly, aforementioned Julian has plenty to say about his 'FIAB' experience: http://bit.ly/UwOMkC (scroll down the page to get to Julian's responses).

It makes very enlightening reading!

So situations do appear to be set. We knew that to some extent but it seems quite cruel from what he says - and I have no reason to disbelieve him. Julian Peck says that he was asked by production to take all the things he was ridiculed for. He also says that his wife's daughter was dying at the time the programme was made.

I do feel sorry for them now. Apparently they didn't apply but were approached to take part.

ETA One of the replies suggests he contact one of the contestants from Conwy who also suffered as a result of the programme. It seems her B & B is on the up again now so that's good. Does anyone remember her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    So situations do appear to be set. We knew that to some extent but it seems quite cruel from what he says - and I have no reason to disbelieve him. Julian Peck says that he was asked by production to take all the things he was ridiculed for. He also says that his wife's daughter was dying at the time the programme was made.

I do feel sorry for them now. Apparently they didn't apply but were approached to take part.

I'm so glad you wrote that, I know people apply, but was questioning it, as I had heard that some establishments which appeared on some other shows of this genre had been approached, they had not applied.
    He still had the choice whether or not to go onto the show, knowing his behind the scenes personal life himself, not that I am judging or criticising the decision, just saying you would have to be prepared for what's coming, especially if other series and episodes are available to research.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,681
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm sorry for their personal situation and bereavement, I really am and also thought it was out of order to question their relationship on the programme.
    That said though I'm afraid in my book Julian's the master of his own downfall as far as 4inaB is concerned.

Other contestants have commented on how good the crew are. Yes, I'm positive that they will egg on the less savvy contestants and I certainly smelled a mouse with the events at Llanerch Vineyard, but at the end of the day what would you say to someone who asked you to take WD40 and pliars on a hotel visit :confused:
    Just because someone asks you to do something, you don't have to oblige.

I refer back to Anthony of Fallowfields amongst others who took the whole programme in their stride. They didn't get perfect feedback, they had their problems, but handled it all with dignity and aplomb and consequently came out of it none the worse.

To me Julian seems to have misplaced some of the most essential requirements of a successful hotelier.
    And frankly if I had a thriving hotel business - he frequently talks about satisfied repeat custom and being the top 2* Hotel in the South West - then I wouldn't even have considered an invitation to apply for a TV 'gameshow' whilst a close family member was living out their final time, let alone use social media to repeatedly berate commentators.

I don't agree with false property reviews from people who haven't even stayed at the establishment, but one can't help but form an opinion of whether or not it would be worth booking from how they represent themselves on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Well, I'm sorry for their personal situation and bereavement, I really am and also thought it was out of order to question their relationship on the programme.
    That said though I'm afraid in my book Julian's the master of his own downfall as far as 4inaB is concerned.

Other contestants have commented on how good the crew are. Yes, I'm positive that they will egg on the less savvy contestants and I certainly smelled a mouse with the events at Llanerch Vineyard, but at the end of the day what would you say to someone who asked you to take WD40 and pliars on a hotel visit :confused:
    Just because someone asks you to do something, you don't have to oblige.

I refer back to Anthony of Fallowfields amongst others who took the whole programme in their stride. They didn't get perfect feedback, they had their problems, but handled it all with dignity and aplomb and consequently came out of it none the worse.

To me Julian seems to have misplaced some of the most essential requirements of a successful hotelier.
    And frankly if I had a thriving hotel business - he frequently talks about satisfied repeat custom and being the top 2* Hotel in the South West - then I wouldn't even have considered an invitation to apply for a TV 'gameshow' whilst a close family member was living out their final time, let alone use social media to repeatedly berate commentators.

I don't agree with false property reviews from people who haven't even stayed at the establishment, but one can't help but form an opinion of whether or not it would be worth booking from how they represent themselves on TV.

Precisely and I don't believe all the editing in the world could change it that much over all the days and visits. In the main, people who are dissatisfied with the outcome complain about the edit. At the end of the day it is their choice to accept an offer of taking part, whether they have applied or been approached.

Oh no, I have just used one of my own pet hate phrases,'At the end of the day...'
This discussion has been closed.