Comments

• Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    ''Bikini body''.

AAAARGH! What a moronic phrase.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are anti everything. Doesn't help the female columnists they have on the paper....Jan Moir should never be left with a computer in my opinion. She does no research on any subject she writes about. Gave up on it years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    ''Bikini body''.

AAAARGH! What a moronic phrase.

Yes, it's the worst. Along with "flaunting her curves" or anything which alludes to somebody showing off when all they've done is dare to leave the house.

The Fail really know how to command the English language for maximum annoyance. Oh, and when they have to mention how much someone's house is worth no matter what the article is about including rape or murder...they really do get 10/10 for trolling on that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

The DM is aimed at middle aged, middle class men to masturbate over.

And peados, with their obsession on creepy "all grown up" fluff pieces.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soullover wrote: »
    I would ban the phrases;
    "fluants her pins'
    " shows off her washboard stomach'
    "toned and tanned"
    "shows off her baby bump"
    "flaunts her figure"
    "flaunts her cleavage"
    "shows off her derriere"
    "flashes her bikini figure'

Superb :D. Was going to post this list but you beat me to it. Makes a fun drinking shots game. I almost imagine they have some software random generator where they throw in a celeb fashion pic and it just spews out haphazard cliches...
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Don't forget "racy".

All the clothes are 'racy'.

See X in racy tights.

Here's X in a racy dress with a hint of bra.

etc. etc.

The DM is aimed at middle aged, middle class men to masturbate over.

And middle aged middle class women to tut-tut over :)
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen what they have written about Leah Totton...they seem to think because she is blonde, she is some kind of bimbo rather than an MD, who works in A&E..They usual fearfully reports by people that haven't actually listened to her business idea...they seem to think she is going to do all the treatments herself, rather than have fully trained, high quality staff, which is what she plans to do...Both finalists have been called Barbie's, even though they have great success, good brains and had very good, detailed business plans..Anti successful women, Daily Mail..but they have a section of Luisa in tiny shorts and top at the supermarket for that is what she is supposed to do...look hot and have her picture taken.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    And peados, with their obsession on creepy "all grown up" fluff pieces.

Agreed. And "bikini body" when all someone is doing is relaxing on the beach!
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Have you seen what they have written about Leah Totton...they seem to think because she is blonde, she is some kind of bimbo rather than an MD, who works in A&E..They usual fearfully reports by people that haven't actually listened to her business idea...they seem to think she is going to do all the treatments herself, rather than have fully trained, high quality staff, which is what she plans to do...Both finalists have been called Barbie's, even though they have great success, good brains and had very good, detailed business plans..Anti successful women, Daily Mail..but they have a section of Luisa in tiny shorts and top at the supermarket for that is what she is supposed to do...look hot and have her picture taken.

But did you know that successful career women grow facial hair. I kid you not. I read it in the DM sometime in the eighties.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Sorry wrong thread :o
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Have you all seen this? It's brilliant! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWp4B0qsW8&feature=youtu.be

'Dear Daily Mail' by Amanda Palmer. The Daily Mail wrote an entire article about the fact that her breast was accidentally exposed during a festival performance, and this is her response :)

That's brilliant, hilarious! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone in the thread seems to be agreed on the misogynist attitude of the Daily Mail. Really, the Mail, the Sun and the Mirror promote some of the worst aspects of UK culture and society.

The DM has a massive, very busy online presence, although the standard of journalism and editing on the site is very poor (bad spelling, worse grammar, mistakes common in picture captions, misleading copy, shamelessly ripping off stories from other newspapers, running 'attack interviews', seemingly no subediting).

DM articles delight in reducing talented women to their clothes and figure; pitting women against each other; attacking women constantly for being alternatively too fat or too thin; promoting women so that they can then tear them down viciously; constantly publishing spiteful and bullying columns by insecure, jealous trolls; attacking certain women by purposely printing the most unflattering pictures of them they can find.

So the real question is: why do so many (women) read the Daily Mail?

Amazingly enough, the DM has very many defenders, even on DS, plenty of readers seem to see nothing wrong with it, or (mistakenly) claim that it is just a version of The Guardian/The Independent 'for people who are not left-wing'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail is anti everything at one time or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is what she is supposed to do...look hot and have her picture taken.

I really think this is what the majority of those who work in media - not just the Fail - want women to be, and nothing more. And the ones who play up to it like Pippa Middleton help keep it going. It's a sorry load of rubbish.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM is anti just about anything except Call me Dave and his cronies!
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a story today which headlined with Sunseekers flock to Britains highest beach which is 60 miles inland...then a pic showing 5 people there lol

Thats typical DM reporting, whether serious or silly stories!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    The DM is anti just about anything except Call me Dave and his cronies!
    Not true. The DM's built-in hatred and bigotry makes it seem anti-everything, but if you look closer, you see that the DM uncritically supports the past, the military, the police, royalty and the aristocracy, high fashion and consumerism, the paparazzi and their activities, the Commonwealth, The Taxpayer's Alliance, MIgrationWatch etc.

As for David Cameron, the DM (representing the swivel-eyed loon tendency) freely runs unfavourable stories about him, so long as it is not election time. They use the threat of their readership/Tory MPs defecting to UKIP as a stick to beat him with when he is not enough of a right-wing reactionary for their liking. Often they don't even care about the subject of the story - they are just running them as a way to pressurise the PM and have him scared that he will lose support unless he lurches to the right.

Back on topic - I ask again, does anyone have a theory why so many women read a paper that is so openly hostile to them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumble wrote: »
    Not true. The DM's built-in hatred and bigotry makes it seem anti-everything, but if you look closer, you see that the DM uncritically supports the past, the military, the police, royalty and the aristocracy, high fashion and consumerism, the paparazzi and their activities, the Commonwealth, The Taxpayer's Alliance, MIgrationWatch etc.

As for David Cameron, the DM (representing the swivel-eyed loon tendency) freely runs unfavourable stories about him, so long as it is not election time. They use the threat of their readership/Tory MPs defecting to UKIP as a stick to beat him with when he is not enough of a right-wing reactionary for their liking. Often they don't even care about the subject of the story - they are just running them as a way to pressurise the PM and have him scared that he will lose support unless he lurches to the right.

Back on topic - I ask again, does anyone have a theory why so many women read a paper that is so openly hostile to them?

Because they want to read a tabloid but they don't want The Sun, they regard The Mirror is too left wing and down market, so that leaves The Daily Express or The Daily Mail...not much choice...unless you live in London and have the Evening Standard.....Personally I love the i from the Independent.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they want to read a tabloid but they don't want The Sun, they regard The Mirror is too left wing and down market, so that leaves The Daily Express or The Daily Mail...not much choice...unless you live in London and have the Evening Standard.....Personally I love the i from the Independent.

Spot on millie. And yes, I'd choose the Evening Standard and 'i' as well and I'm an ex journo.

The editorial 'standards' in the Daily Fail are utterly abysmal. Their puerile baby hacks can't be much over 20 something (their utter lack of English comprehension is a dead giveaway) possibly come very cheap and are very disposable. I suspect they are hired by the dozen - before they run screaming for the hills after a month or two because everyone hates them and they learn to hate themselves. They can't write, can't spell and don't do grammar. At all.

Anyone who writes anything along the lines of 'flashes her pins' or 'shows off her baby bump' should be banned from the media forever or until hell freezes over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    The editorial 'standards' in the Daily Fail are utterly abysmal. Their puerile baby hacks can't be much over 20 something (their utter lack of English comprehension is a dead giveaway) possibly come very cheap and are very disposable. I suspect they are hired by the dozen - before they run screaming for the hills after a month or two because everyone hates them and they learn to hate themselves. They can't write, can't spell and don't do grammar. At all.

Anyone who writes anything along the lines of 'flashes her pins' or 'shows off her baby bump' should be banned from the media forever or until hell freezes over.

Agree with every word here. Their penmanship is the worst I've ever come across in any print publication, especially on their website. They just don't seem to give a crap. Possibly as part of their one big trolling operation, possibly because they really are just so not bothered about using decent editors or hiring people who can write in the first place.

Every day the Fail remains one of the biggest selling newspapers in the UK, it's an embarrassment and a concern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM seems to be the place for UKIP supporters but they don't like it when you ask them what UKIP's policies are apart from leave the EU....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on millie. And yes, I'd choose the Evening Standard and 'i' as well and I'm an ex journo.

It is a buyers market for journalists and it is incredibly difficult to break into the national media. These 'baby hacks' have all probably got firsts in English and have a further journalism qualification from somewhere like Cardiff. They will work as interns for either free or expenses in the hope that they can be taken on but as you say, they are very disposable. They can write, can spell and can do grammar but that's not what Mail Online needs or wants.

Very few will go on to actually work for the printed version of the Mail and will probably end up working for one of the featured publications from the last round in Have I Got News For You, if they're lucky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »

Those are the comments though and comments are not necessarily reflective of the publication or its readership but more of people who will register just to comment on that article or who its about.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was only women who read the Daily Mail.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    It is a buyers market for journalists and it is incredibly difficult to break into the national media. These 'baby hacks' have all probably got firsts in English and have a further journalism qualification from somewhere like Cardiff. They will work as interns for either free or expenses in the hope that they can be taken on but as you say, they are very disposable. They can write, can spell and can do grammar but that's not what Mail Online needs or wants.

Very few will go on to actually work for the printed version of the Mail and will probably end up working for one of the featured publications from the last round in Have I Got News For You, if they're lucky.

I doubt any got a first for English and, sorry vidalia, but they cannot write, spell or punctuate. Those who can are rare.

I worked with a bunch of would-be baby journalists recently, all of whom were doing post grads, and they still couldn't write. It's getting worse. A journalism degree means zilch to many. They love the idea but the talent is a rare as hen's teeth. they do not get beyond mediocre.

As I said in my earlier post, I know how the press works because that's what I do. I also know a couple of young journalists who did their stint at DM. They got paid well and got great expenses but, in time, felt they simply could not write the kind of carp that was expected of them. The perks could not make up for the dire editorial. Yup, they left - for less money and tad more integrity!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The editorial 'standards' in the Daily Fail are utterly abysmal. Their puerile baby hacks can't be much over 20 something (their utter lack of English comprehension is a dead giveaway) possibly come very cheap and are very disposable. I suspect they are hired by the dozen - before they run screaming for the hills after a month or two because everyone hates them and they learn to hate themselves. They can't write, can't spell and don't do grammar. At all...SNIP
    Absolutely right. Daily Mail stories and picture captions are riddled with mistakes.
    vidalia wrote: »
    SNIP...These 'baby hacks' have all probably got firsts in English and have a further journalism qualification from somewhere like Cardiff. They will work as interns for either free or expenses in the hope that they can be taken on but as you say, they are very disposable. They can write, can spell and can do grammar but that's not what Mail Online needs or wants...SNIP
    No. Daily Mail journalists who write the main copy online* cannot possibly have firsts in English, they write so poorly.

*I cannot buy DM, so not sure about the printed version