What's the best Android phone for someone used to iPhone??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm tired of all the restrictions and limitations to what I can do, so I'd like to go Android. I want a high end Android phone that's on par with the iPhone 5 or better. Can you recommend anything?

Many thanks

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Go for a nexus 4. You won't find better value for money and you'll see the latest versions of android way before everyone else.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I'm tired of all the restrictions and limitations to what I can do, so I'd like to go Android. I want a high end Android phone that's on par with the iPhone 5 or better. Can you recommend anything?

Many thanks

Your spoilt for choice to be honest any of the top flagship phones will meet that criteria

s3
    note 2
    nexus 4
    xperia t
    one x+
    lg 4x

etc take your pick.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could wait a couple months and there will be the galaxy s4 and HTC m7. If you are bothered that you will be a generation behind very soon, if not then any of the phones the previous posters mentioned are fine.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy S3

This.

The "transition" will be quite painless.

I still love the feel of an iPhone 5 in my hand though. No one can deny it is a piece of art.

I don't get that when I hold my s3. I love the phone, just not "in love" with it lol xxx

Edit

I wonder what the s4 will retail for on PAYG? £400-600 I'd guess
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

Nice. How much for PAYG could you get it BRAND NEW for do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh, over £200 less if I got it from google, than my s3

thanks for the info :)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get an S3 for under £400 so its not 200 more these days.
    Plus you are paying extra for the OLED screen.

Samsung also market their PLS screens (IPS type screens that can use less power) as budget phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they so much cheaper from google?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure. I know that the retailers are charging more because of the higher price that LG have set.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

because there is only a limited supply and after the initial rush you don't seem to be able to buy them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    because there is only a limited supply and after the initial rush you don't seem to be able to buy them.

I think you misunderstood his question. He wants to know why Google are charging less for the handset not why they're out of stock.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google are selling them at, or very near to, cost - they aren't too fussed about making money on the hardware, it's about getting people using their services. Can't remember off the top of my head where I saw it but there was an interview with someone at Google when the Nexus 4 and 10 were announced and they more or less said as much.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I have an iPhone, but if I were to go Android (which I might) then I'd go for one with stock Android rather than the sullied version that Samsung and others use. So my choice would be the Nexus 4.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 4 as its pure Android so you will receive support and updates for long after Samsung have dropped support to the Galaxy S3.

Also the post about the Samsung screen being better is nonsense as its totally subjective. I personally prefer the IPS screen compared to the Samsung Pentile OLED screen.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S3 screen is pentile and inferior to say the One X and N4 screens. However I like amoled and many people prefer it but it is not as good.

I love my GNexus and will get a N4. Remember though that Nexus devices are developer phones and Google use them to beta test their software. I would recommend the S3 or One X over the N4 to normal users.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    None of that is right I'm afraid.

Screens are somewhat a matter of opinion but the s3 is anything but inferior don't let the word pentile throw you.

Nexus phones are mainstream phones same as any other they are not development phones nor are they for beta testing.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people may not like the 'rawness' of the Nexus...in that it is pure android. Samsung, HTC etc add their own 'skin' to android in the form of Touchwiz and Sense. This adds a few more features and integrations to Android that you wouldn't otherwise get.

Upside of the nexus is that you will get updates pretty quick BUT some say that the Nexus phones are a testing ground for Google and can be a few bugs.

Have a look at youtube reviews for the Nexus, Galaxy S3, HTC One X+ and maybe the Galaxy Note 2.

Good thing about the S3 is the amount of cases etc you can get... similar to the iPhone. I say this, cos one of the selling points to many of the iPhone is the number of accessories that are available.

Good luck
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    None of that is right I'm afraid.

Screens are somewhat a matter of opinion but the s3 is anything but inferior don't let the word pentile throw you.

Nexus phones are mainstream phones same as any other they are not development phones nor are they for beta testing.

This pentile = bad argument is doing my nut in. It might have been a valid argument when early pentile screens were out, but these new high resolution screens are fantastic.