Is it time for Shirley to Leave Eastenders

Comments

• monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,844
    Forum Member
    No
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that just because Ben turned himself in that makes him a good person. It still doesn't justify him killing an innocent woman, leaving George motherless and putting Shirley through months and months of torment.

i didnt say it made him a good person?

im just saying that turning himself in was a good direction and we'll see him being haunted for years when he ever returns.
  • Kirk AngelKirk Angel Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a soap.....

Yes I am fully aware of that. Sometimes I wonder if me and you are actually watching the same show.

There is no come back for Ben. He had no choice but to 'redeem' himself as he was caught, All those months of lying, watching an innocent man get the blame and keeping trophies all redeemed just because he turned himself in. :rolleyes:
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    Are you seriously suggesting that just because Ben turned himself in that makes him a good person.

It still doesn't justify him killing an innocent woman, leaving George motherless and putting Shirley through months and months of torment.

In mitigation to Ben, it was only Heather he murdered. Stupid, simpering fool.
    Forum Member
    No
    Kirk Angel wrote: »
    Yes I am fully aware of that. Sometimes I wonder if me and you are actually watching the same show.

There is no come back for Ben. He had no choice but to 'redeem' himself as he was caught, All those months of lying, watching an innocent man get the blame and keeping trophies all redeemed just because he turned himself in. :rolleyes:
    what was the point in him turning himself in and making lexi his daughter then, might aswell have killed him off
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    no because she is making a life for herself getting a job etc...

Who cares? She covered up Phils involvement in her 'best friend' Heathers murder. Some of us don't forget. She can get as many jobs as she wants, doesn't change my opinion of her.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    and putting Shirley through months and months of torment.

He gets a pat on the back for that.
    Forum Member
    No

:confused: i hated ben for what he did as much as anyone but doesnt mean i didnt like the character or think he has potential in the future...

hence why i want shirl killed off when he returns lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

LMAO and I suppose your right. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the point in him turning himself in and making lexi his daughter then, might aswell have killed him off

As he was caught out. If he wasn't caught he still would of have kept up the facade.
    Forum Member
    No
    As he was caught out. If he wasn't caught he still would of have kept up the facade.

yes but he didnt need to turn himself in. phil was doing anything he could to save ben yet ben didnt want saving.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    :

I love the way you refer to her as 'shirl' like she's your best mate. :D
    Forum Member
    No
    I love the way you refer to her as 'shirl' like she's your best mate. :D
    haha nah i just love calling her shirl instead of shirley. i dont know im weird like that :D i prefer it when phil calls her shirl too :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but he didnt need to turn himself in. phil was doing anything he could to save ben yet ben didnt want saving.

So!? That's still unworthy to tag him as being redeemed.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't blame Linda Henry if she quit. Her talents are sorely wasted on a B character who only ever gained any status in the show from the joke of a relationship with Phil. I really don't see the point in her anymore, as there's no sign of a new creative direction for her in sight really.
    Forum Member
    No
    So!? That's still unworthy to tag him as being redeemed.

redeemed for now so he has the potential to return.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Linda Henry is not a bad actress but she had closure and when she left with Carly it would have been the perfect exit.
    Over a year ago I said it was a mistake isolating her to 1 character. I said that is a sign of weak character development for a character in the show for that many years continously so sadly I think its time she went.
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    :confused: i hated ben for what he did as much as anyone but doesnt mean i didnt like the character or think he has potential in the future...

Of course. When in doubt, always sacrifice the woman. You can't go wrong with that.
    Forum Member
    No
    Salome wrote: »
    Of course. When in doubt, always sacrifice the woman. You can't go wrong with that.

:confused:
    Forum Member
    No
    can i ask anyone who chose yes did you like her scenes in last tuesdays ep with bianca/liam? would be interested to know this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    redeemed for now so he has the potential to return.

It just seems ridiculous when a character who murders someone returns, it is a massive "jump the shark" moment and when someone murders someone and gets sent to jail that should be the end of their character.
    Forum Member
    No
    It just seems ridiculous when a character who murders someone returns, it is a massive "jump the shark" moment and when someone murders someone and gets sent to jail that should be the end of their character.

so what about stacey? she never got put in jail for murdering archie yet people still seemed to like her

he only got 4 years. he is phils son and has a daughter in lexi. plenty of potential for him to return
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    No
    felixrex wrote: »
    Nah. I think they could benefit greatly by using her properly and giving her the development she's long overdue.

Eastenders is running low on long-term characters at the minute and I think that's a shame and is really effecting the stability of the show. Generally speaking, I tend to be more on the side of thinking the writers should just pull their fingers out and use the characters they've got properly rather than focusing on a select few and letting the rest subside into nothingness until axing them seems like the most viable option. That way, we get a show full of interesting characters, with the added benefit of having a good few years under their belt.

The only reason Shirley has become such a redundant character is because the writers and producers aren't interested in her and, therefore, aren't using her well. There's no reason to believe any character brought in in her place would be treated any more graciously. If TPTB could learn to write indiscriminately for every character again, rather than focusing exclusively on their select favourites and letting the rest rot into irrelevance, the show probably wouldn't have such a high turnover in characters.

Great post felix, and I agree with you all the way.

What is the point in getting rid of an interesting character like Shirley only to keep those like Alice, Kim, Ray and Tyler, and to bring in the oh so dull Ava and Dexter.

Shirley was not a good mother and she KNEW this. She lacked that mothering instinct that others can take for granted. By leaving them she did the best thing she could for them...they were better off without her. An interesting flaw but by no means unique. If she had been male I don't think there would be so much anger, but a mother is meant to be different.
    Forum Member
    No
    id also like to point out that shirley was placed 20th in the EE character voting round while sharon ranked 15th. both women tied in the favourite character one in all the soaps at 41st.

just shows that they are just as popular as the other :)
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    so what about stacey? she never got put in jail for murdering archie yet people still seemed to like her

he only got 4 years. he is phils son and has a daughter in lexi. plenty of potential for him to return

I have always been a great advocate of Stacey going to prison if she comes back. Some people condone murder by some characters but not others.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    So what do we think, has Shirley had her day?

I dont think she has, I think its time the writers stopped making her a down and out like Billy Mitchell though.

Id love to see her blackmail Phil over his involvement in Heather murder cover up.

Shirley must still have the money from the sale from the cafe as Phil gave it to her as a present. I think Shirley should have kept the cafe, one friendship that they could possibly explore is Carol and Shirley, they are similar in ways.