How To Connect HDR+ To Internet For IPlayer?

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I've connected my HDR to my router via an Ethernet cable, but for some reason it is not connecting to the internet.

I've manually set the IP address to the routers but I'm not sure I've done it right.

Any advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    set it to use DHCP - this will make sure you haven't made any mistakes.Plus make sure your router has DHCP active on it.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've connected my HDR to my router via an Ethernet cable, but for some reason it is not connecting to the internet.

I've manually set the IP address to the routers but I'm not sure I've done it right.

Any advice?
    As above use DHCP.

If you have manually entered the details and put the router's IP address into the HDR IP address field then that will not work. You cannot have two devices with the same IP address on the same network without conflicts occurring.

The only place the router's IP address should appear on the HDR is in the Gateway field. To set the IP address manually you would need to know the IP addresses of every device on your network so you can select one that is not in use and more than likely have to exclude that address from the DHCP range on the router so the router cannot allocate it when some new device connects when the HDR is off.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried using DHCP but nothing happens. I press 'APPLY' and it just seems to go through the motions but when I try to use IPlayer it says 'Not Connected'.

I have difficulty understanding how routers and networks work.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried using DHCP but nothing happens. I press 'APPLY' and it just seems to go through the motions but when I try to use IPlayer it says 'Not Connected'.

I have difficulty understanding how routers and networks work.
    Does it return an IP address when you press Apply? You should be able to see what address the router has assigned if DHCP has worked.

Alternatively you could try manually setting an IP address. On your computer open a command prompt and type

IPCONFIG

press enter and three IP address number groups should appear.

eg

IP Address 192.168.1.3
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

Copy these numbers into the similarly named fields on the HDR but change the number 3 in the IP address to something like 100 (ie to 192.168.1.100).

That should be high enough not to clash with any other device on the network. Try that. If you still cannot get any internet access then there is something else wrong. It could be as simple as a cable fault or something in the set up of either router or HDR. Or of course a faulty HDR ethernet port.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Try rebooting the router! Unplug from the mains electric, wait a minute and plug back in. this often fixes a lot of electrical issues...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    There should be a web interface to you router by means of which you can see the LAN addresses that are being allocated, the MAC numbers of the attached boxes and often the name given out by those boxes. That table will allow you to see what is happening when your HDR requests an addr via DHCP.
    Normal addr for routers is 192.168.1.1 or something very similar, your router docs should tell you. Key that addr into the addr field of Internet Explorer or whatever browser you are using. You will then normally need the password for your router, again from your docs unless you have changed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should be a web interface to you router by means of which you can see the LAN addresses that are being allocated, the MAC numbers of the attached boxes and often the name given out by those boxes. That table will allow you to see what is happening when your HDR requests an addr via DHCP.
    Normal addr for routers is 192.168.1.1 or something very similar, your router docs should tell you. Key that addr into the addr field of Internet Explorer or whatever browser you are using. You will then normally need the password for your router, again from your docs unless you have changed it.

I can see the MAC address of the Humax HDR in the router's DHCP Client list, but it is still not connecting to the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I have occasional 'trouble' getting my Humax boxes to connect to the LAN.

I have a second router in my TV cabinet and if I switch that one on before the main network in running they don't seem to connect to it. My Humax Freesat HDR - Youview - Smart TV - Dell Media PC all run off it.

If I turn the this router off for a moment - it will find the main network as it boots back up - and all is OK.

Try the simple thing first before you spend hours trying to 'understand' it all.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    blackcow wrote: »
    I have occasional 'trouble' getting my Humax boxes to connect to the LAN.

I have a second router in my TV cabinet and if I switch that one on before the main network in running they don't seem to connect to it. My Humax Freesat HDR - Youview - Smart TV - Dell Media PC all run off it.

If I turn the this router off for a moment - it will find the main network as it boots back up - and all is OK.

Try the simple thing first before you spend hours trying to 'understand' it all.

The puzzle being why would you have either of them switched off in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried turning the router off (and the STB) but nothing happened.

Do I have to have MHEG turned on? I've tried it with both and still doesn't work.

I've gone to channel 901 and nothing either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've connected the PS3 to the router via the ethernet cable and it all works OK, I can view Iplayer using the PS3 version, so it must be the Humax that is playing up.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I have to have MHEG turned on? I've tried it with both and still doesn't work.

If you want on demand to work then MPEG must be on.
    Do you now have your network settings set to DHCP?
    Post the System diag for network from your HDR.
    Ensure also that you turn off DHCP on your second router so it is only active on the main router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    If you want on demand to work then MPEG must be on.
    Do you now have your network settings set to DHCP?
    Post the System diag for network from your HDR.
    Ensure also that you turn off DHCP on your second router so it is only active on the main router.

Thanks for the advice but I've given up on the Humax.

I've got the PS3 wired up now and it is better for Iplayer and Youtube anyway.

It's just annoying when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.