The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry - R. Joyce

mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
While idling away some lunchtime at work, I saw this in Tesco, I'm a bit wary as many of the 'chart' books in Tesco seemed to aimed at women, idiots, or all the reviews on the back are from "The Sun", "Mail on Sunday" etc.... Think 50 Shades of gray, hardly quality literature.

Anyways, I enjoyed this, very readable, I'm a bloke in my mid 20's so maybe not really the target audience for this, none the less, I found it a good read. A slightly watered down version of "Reggie Perrin" would be a good summary.

It scares me slightly as I sometimes feel I'll pass through life without ever really knowing what I want to do/not really doing much...but this is the 'emo' sad corner of DS, so I'll leave that for another thread!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Unlikely-Pilgrimage-Harold-Fry/dp/0552778095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360103286&sr=8-1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally just bought this book yesterday. How funny to see a post about it now.

It certainly isn't something that would usually catch my eye but after I read the back... I don't know, I just really wanted to know what happened.
    I'm female, early twenties, so from what you have said OP, I may not be the 'trageted reader' either. However, your post has eased my doubts over it and I'm willing to give it a go.

Will try to remember to post back once I've read :)
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read it recently, I'm a male in my mid-20s and I really enjoyed it too. I read as part of the book club at work, which has a relatively wide range of readers and everyone was very positive about it.
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a few truths in it,....the post-uni-now-working years seem to have gone very quick, like Harold I feel like I sometime should have make more of an effort to keep in touch with people.

Still, the books written in a style that makes it easy to read, good for reading at work or on the bus etc where it's easy to get distracted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    This might be the best book Ive ever read
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late 20s here and I really enjoyed it. I read it very fast and it was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to. Gave it to my aunty who is quite a fast reader and has much more time to read than I do and she found it a struggle to read - really goes to show how tastes are so different.

Parts of it did infuriate me - once I twice I thought 'would he ever bloody get to Berwick'.

At the beginning you think it a simple book, but it is much, much more than that and has a much deeper message too. I really enjoyed it.

As I was reading I thought it would make a good TV drama - ITV/BBC are you reading this!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Late 20s here and I really enjoyed it. I read it very fast and it was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to. Gave it to my aunty who is quite a fast reader and has much more time to read than I do and she found it a struggle to read - really goes to show how tastes are so different.

Parts of it did infuriate me - once I twice I thought 'would he ever bloody get to Berwick'.

At the beginning you think it a simple book, but it is much, much more than that and has a much deeper message too. I really enjoyed it.

As I was reading I thought it would make a good TV drama - ITV/BBC are you reading this!!!!

I know, half way through I thought "stubborn old bugger" but it becomes clear
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on audiobook, got about 1/3 of the way through and then got too busy to listen to the rest. I must pick it up again. I hope my initial prediction isn't correct, that...
    Queenie died on the day he set out on his journey. It would be too predictable :/