Is Tom Daley Gay

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would bet my house on it, but it's his business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well written. This is a homophobic thread full of hatred. I hope Mr Daly's lawyers are reading these disgusting rants and slurs by bigoted idiots,

Hear, hear - let's talk about his diving, not who he's diving into bed with.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Daley is as gay as they come
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfectly put. You cannot tell someone they are gay, straight or bisexual. Only they know. Tom says he is straight and I believe him. It's not that there is proof that he's lying.

It shouldn't matter anyway :rolleyes:

I hate reading stuff like this - maybe it 'doesn't matter' - everyone always saying it 'shouldn't matter' like it is some way makes you 'superior' to have pointed this out ....... NO ONE is saying that it 'does' matter!!! its just a discussion. I believe in free speech, and I if want to discuss MY opinion on someones sexuality, whats the problem????
    Lighten up. This is after all, a forum!!!
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Daley is as gay as they come

You gay? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Ow yes
  • wilpeepwilpeep Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Well, of course he's gay, but he's perfectly entitled to keep it private. Whether he's doing it for his career or because he doesn't want to discuss his personal life, it's his choice.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    tommytiger wrote: »
    Mothers always seem to know and Tom's mother laughed when an interviewer asked her about Tom giving her grandchildren. Yes, there are 'camp' heterosexuals, but very few and far between and often it is part of a comedy routine and not something they are prone to do in their private life.

If I were an effeminate and 'camp' heterosexual I would 'butch up' to stop people assuming I'm gay all the time.

But as you say we must accept someone's answer as the truth.

I haven't heard or seen what his mother said, but she may have laughed, that someone was actually suggesting that his 19 year old son (who might not be in a steady, strong relationship) would start making kids, when he is at the high
    of his career.

Many times people can't actually help how they are. It is in their nature. And to "butch up" just to get away from gay rumors sounds actually awful. Changing yourself to please others is just a depressing thought.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard or seen what his mother said, but she may have laughed, that someone was actually suggesting that his 19 year old son (who might not be in a steady, strong relationship) would start making kids, when he is at the high
    of his career.

Many times people can't actually help how they are. It is in their nature. And to "butch up" just to get away from gay rumors sounds actually awful. Changing yourself to please others is just a depressing thought.

Don't quote me word for word, but his mother said: "Grandkids from Tom? Hahahaha!"

There is a train of thought that 'campness' in the gay community is something you develop to fit in with your peers.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,573
    Forum Member
    I think especially online on forums there is almost a desperate wanting for him to be gay for people's own gratification. I am a gay man and when i was in the closet i was always protesting i was straight. I am not saying that is not the case here, but when he his faced with daily accusations maybe it was best he set the story straight.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    maybe he's not but many are wishfully thinking that he is

people aren't gay just for convenience etc
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    If you think Tom Daley is gay, perhaps it's time to reset the gaydar

Although gay people think they can spot another gay person, this in fact reinforces a narrow idea of who conforms to the 'norm'.
    Although gay people – myself included – often pride themselves on their "gaydar", their ability to "spot" another gay person, it's a very imprecise instrument and getting more so all the time.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Daley isn't camp, he's feminine

It's much more common for a camp guy to be straight than a feminine guy to be straight
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre's contribution to this thread is utterly disgusting. Why their homophobia is tolerated on here escapes me.

Probably because I'm talking about individuals and their individual behavior, rather than tarring a group of people with the same brush. Also not condoning people who meet their future partners when they are 50 and their partner is 13 does not make a person homophobic any more than your sexuality makes your outrage special. I realise it's easy to write-off any criticism of any gay person's behaviour as 'homophobia', especially when you can't muster a single credible point in response, but its every bit as childish as any other name-calling. As I have already implied, I'd feel exactly the same if a 50 year old straight man met his future partner when she was 13, so your sad, limp claims against me fall rather flat.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    Probably because I'm talking about individuals and their individual behavior, rather than tarring a group of people with the same brush. Also not condoning people who meet their future partners when they are 50 and their partner is 13 does not make a person homophobic any more than your sexuality makes your outrage special. I realise it's easy to write-off any criticism of any gay person's behaviour as 'homophobia', especially when you can't muster a single credible point in response, but its every bit as childish as any other name-calling. As I have already implied, I'd feel exactly the same if a 50 year old straight man met his future partner when she was 13, so your sad, limp claims against me fall rather flat.

Nah, nice try. You were suggesting Stephen Fry was a paedophile, don't try to get out of it now.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    If you think Tom Daley is gay, perhaps it's time to reset the gaydar

Although gay people think they can spot another gay person, this in fact reinforces a narrow idea of who conforms to the 'norm'.

Mark Simpsons has made a career out of criticising various facets of the gay community, so he really shouldn't be taken seriously, and especially so in this case since there have been numerous scientific studies into the existence of gaydar that have concluded that it does, in fact, exist.

Which makes the general theme of that article demonstratably and unambiguously wrong.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Don't quote me word for word, but his mother said: "Grandkids from Tom? Hahahaha!"

There is a train of thought that 'campness' in the gay community is something you develop to fit in with your peers.

What her mother said could simply mean, that Tom has clearly said, that he doesn't want kids, ever.

And I don't get the logic of trying to fit in with your peers in Tom's case, as it is suggested, that he is in fact hiding his gayness, in the closet, and does not want to fit in with his peers. If he was openly gay, I would get the train of thought, but he isn't, he says, that he is straight, so..
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, nice try. You were suggesting Stephen Fry was a paedophile, don't try to get out of it now.

i agree , that was clearly the impression they were trying to give.
    and it is completely wrong .
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Daly is not gay. Just say he was, then it would be a relief to the many girl admirers' parents as they could trust him. Who'd want their daughters near the likes of Russell Brand or that bed hopping frog lookalike from One Direction.

If someone questions another person's sexuality then the questioner really has self-identity problems with his own sexuality.

If Tom Daly is straight. GET OVER IT!
    If Tom Daly is gay: GET OVER IT

Dear god, what a stupid thread this is and should be pulled.
  • K2kK2k Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Tom Daly is not gay. Just say he was, then it would be a relief to the many girl admirers' parents as they could trust him. Who'd want their daughters near the likes of Russell Brand or that bed hopping frog lookalike from One Direction.

If someone questions another person's sexuality then the questioner really has self-identity problems with his own sexuality.

If Tom Daly is straight. GET OVER IT!
    If Tom Daly is gay: GET OVER IT

Dear god, what a stupid thread this is and should be pulled.

Showbiz
    Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Mark Simpsons has made a career out of criticising various facets of the gay community, so he really shouldn't be taken seriously, and especially so in this case since there have been numerous scientific studies into the existence of gaydar that have concluded that it does, in fact, exist.

Which makes the general theme of that article demonstratably and unambiguously wrong.

To be fair, I'm Gay and my Gaydar is generally sh!t! Although Tom Daley sets mine off like a rave in Ibiza!!! So that mean he's probably Mr Butch McMacho of Heteroville! :D
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    If people do not like the thread then don't come in here .

He is clearly gay , anybody who has met him in person will say the same . And it is perfectly reasonable he won't come out as his whole fan base is young girls and it would damage his brand .
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I don't seem him as clearly gay
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    If people do not like the thread then don't come in here .

He is clearly gay , anybody who has met him in person will say the same . And it is perfectly reasonable he won't come out as his whole fan base is young girls and it would damage his brand .

Is it?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to 'get out' of anything, merely trying to restate facts. The facts are and remain that Fry, a middle aged man, met his current partner and began working with him when he was 13. If that makes him a paedophile to you, thats an interesting theory. I personally would hesitate to go that far (thanks for taking the initiative) without further evidence. I do find him to be a morally bankrupt creep. But then as I've restated time and time again I'd feel the same about anyone who left their long term partner for someone they'd been working with in a professional capacity since that partner was 13. Likewise I'm skeptical of middle aged forum members who publicly letch over people like Daley the moment they hit 16.
This discussion has been closed.