Films you liked back then,but find embarrassing to watch now

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Warriors ! As a 15 year old me and my mates thought the pirate vhs copy we had was the greatest, most violent film ever made.

Watched it a few years back again and was laughing all the way through it. They are the most campy, hammy "gangs" I have ever seen and as scary as a Tom & Jerry cartoon.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poltergeist (1982)

I used to believe in supernatural phenomena when I watched this and it was one of my favourite movies, but now my views on the supernatural are completely opposite and this movie now seems over the top and silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The sound of music :o:D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The Good,The Bad and The Ugly

Just way too campy and over the top.I just roll my eyes at how ridiculous it is now.

Goodness knows why it's no.5 in the IMDb top 250 greatest films ever made, eh?
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Those that said:

The Crow
    Star Wars
    Goonies
    Gremlins

...go and stand in the corner.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    The Warriors ! As a 15 year old me and my mates thought the pirate vhs copy we had was the greatest, most violent film ever made.

Watched it a few years back again and was laughing all the way through it. They are the most campy, hammy "gangs" I have ever seen and as scary as a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

:D That can be said about Class of 1984. When I was a kid, I found those kids so scary. Yet I caught this film on TV one night a couple of years ago and fell off the chair from laughing hard, because those "scary kids" were hilariously bad, campy and so wooden.
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Those that said:

The Crow
    Star Wars
    Goonies
    Gremlins

...go and stand in the corner.

And seriously think what you've said!
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wanderers. One of my favourite films as a teen, watched it practically on a loop it seems. I found it really edgy and 'mature' lol. Watched it for the first time in years recently and I just found everybody in it ridiculous, highly obnoxious or annoyingly childish. "Don't **** with the baldies" indeed, half of them looked middle aged! Maybe it's a movie you can only enjoy when you're young, who knows...
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Goodness knows why it's no.5 in the IMDb top 250 greatest films ever made, eh?

What does that prove? Do you know anything about the IMDB ratings system?

Only top reviewers' ratings are considered for what films go in the top 250 list.:rolleyes:

Click on any film on the site and they've all got loved it and hated it reviews so I'm not alone in not liking it.:D
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Two of my fave films when I was younger were Freddie as FRO7 and The Flight of Dragons. Two very obscure films it seems.
    So I watched them when I was older and hoped to at least enjoy them in a nostalgic sense but sheesh what a disappointment.

Freddie as FRO7 is annoying beyond belief.
    Flight of Dragons is slightly better, infact the basic story is pretty good, but it still feels so long, morbid and up it's own arse. It's just not that enjoyable to watch.

I've just looked it up and it seems Freddie was a mahoosive flop and was even named the lowest grossing animated film of all time. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    Breakdance 2: electric boogaloo
    Condorman

Not so long ago, this was selling for around £50 on Amazon (no, I didn't buy it). Thankfully, they seem to have seen sense. Have fond memories of me and my brother and sister pretending we could breakdance whilst watching both of these films :o
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    What does that prove? Do you know anything about the IMDB ratings system?

Only top reviewers' ratings are considered for what films go in the top 250 list.:rolleyes:

Click on any film on the site and they've all got loved it and hated it reviews so I'm not alone in not liking it.:D

No need to get so excited. Yes, I do know how IMDb works. I simply gave it as an example. It's a fairly reliable guide.

I'm sure you're not the only reviewer who hasn't liked it. There are plenty of people who have no idea what constitutes good film-making.

Oh and :rolleyes:
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    No need to get so excited. Yes, I do know how IMDb works. I simply gave it as an example. It's a fairly reliable guide.

I'm sure you're not the only reviewer who hasn't liked it. There are plenty of people who have no idea what constitutes good film-making.

Oh and :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

I'm not sure about the IMDB site though.It can be really petty amongst fanboys who try their best to vote their favourite and least favourites higher or lower.Even going so far as making multiple accounts.The rivalry between the Dark Knight and Avengers Assemble fans in particular is really pathetic.Also the list is rarely updated.I've noticed there's some films on the list at 7.9 with thousands of votes and some films at 8.0 with even more votes and they're not on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I thought The Lawnmower Man and Freddy's Dead were really cool at the time.

Wow are they cheesey now.:o

Probably throw in Home Alone 2. Saw it at the cinema (loved it) and again today. It's just unbelievably sickly schmaltzy and probably only works as a watch during the christmas season.

Batman Forever
    is embarrassing and not worth watching thesedays.

Will get attacked for this, but I think The Dark Knight Rises will make this list in a few years. I know Nolan was channelling his love of Bond and going for something different again, yet it's seriously cliche ridden.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Hackers.

I still watch it every other year for giggles, though. Especially for the bit where they ooh and aah over her 28.8 kbps modem, the fastest at the time.

this

It's so bad but I loved it when I was 15 :)
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being really impressed with Event Horizon when it first came out. So much so that I have spent the last decade and a half heartily recommending it to people.

I watched it again recently and it is appalling. Over-acted, visually laughable and both script and characters composed entirely of clichés.

I had to watch Alien straight afterwards to cleanse my system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hawk The Slayer
    Time Bandits
    Battle Beyond The Stars
    The Last Starfighter
    Big
    Young Sherlock Holmes
    Red Sonya
    Total Recall
    The Neverending Story

.....the more i think, the more there are.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Police Academy films......
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    The Breakfast Club :o

Then: Yeah, yeah - the 'kids' stick it to the man.

Now: The 'kids' are beyond parody.
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Hawk The Slayer
    Time Bandits
    Eh? Nowt wrong with Time Bandits, surely. Hawk the Slayer though....that was always awful. ;)
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be ET ... it looks pathetic now.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filofax starring James Belushi and Charles Grodin I saw that loads as a kid and loved it.
    Dont think much of it now.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hand that Rocks the Craddle. I used to think what a great film with tense drama etc. I think it is utter rubbish now.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    The Wanderers. One of my favourite films as a teen, watched it practically on a loop it seems. I found it really edgy and 'mature' lol. Watched it for the first time in years recently and I just found everybody in it ridiculous, highly obnoxious or annoyingly childish. "Don't **** with the baldies" indeed, half of them looked middle aged! Maybe it's a movie you can only enjoy when you're young, who knows...

Agreed! Also, Terror (the head baldy) just looks like a slow moving lump of lard and isn't scary. Good soundtrack, mind. I've long since ditched my VHS copy, but still have the CD.

Someone listed Total Recall. I assume you mean the original 1990 version. It's one of my favourite films, and imo Arnie's second best film (after The Terminator)!
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Dude where's my car. Loved it as a young teen, thought it was hilarious. Watched it again a few months back and could not believe how awful I found it.
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Avatar. It's pretty painful to watch now, but I loved it at the time.

I still haven't seen that, didn't buy into the hype. In fact I haven't even seen The Matrix or any of the X-men films yet.:o