Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    One more thing. I found the use of peoples emotions quite cynical on the part of the writers. You see with office the use of emotion seemed genuine and fitted in with the script. Perhaps it was because when you try and fit so much in to 30 minutes when you crow-bar emotion in it comes off as forced. I'm sure gervais has used that piano music before and featuring it is almost approaching cliche status when it has been so widely employed to elicit emotion from the audience after shane meadows used it to great effect in this is england.

I could see why people found it so emotional but the desperation to try and reduce you to tears left me underwhelmed and feeling quite manipulated.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Also noone was doing any work. Are you telling me one support worker takes care of all those pensioners getting up and showered, cleaned, pads changed. Who takes care of the cleaning? Support workers in those places are understaffed and ran off their feet usually you have about 25 clients and 3 staff to get everyone ready in some places people arent out of bed till lunch time because it takes that long. The staff in derek seemed to be just hanging round and the oaps just background scenery. It also made us feel sorry for the staff because what a boring job they had and what a depressing place to work.

Would you want derek looking after you in elderly care lol? Also derek wouldnt be allowed to cut their toenails like that he is practically client status himself who would let him near your toes with a blade?

Quite, a welcome bit of reality.
    Nothing whatsoever like a real care home where the staff are a) qualified and b) normally rushed off their feet etc. etc. for a mere pittance.
    Health and Safety legislation would barely let this Gervais character near residents.
    Just a load of sentimental slush and mush.
    I would feel rather foolish to be taken in by such humourless drivel.
    Forum Member
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Nothing whatsoever like a real care home where the staff are a) qualified and b) normally rushed off their feet etc. etc. for a mere pittance.
    Health and Safety legislation would barely let this Gervais character near residents.
    I would feel rather foolish to be taken in by the drivel.

mm in a care home they dont let staff cut toe nails because not only can it be quite difficult to do but they will need a professional in to treat and make sure there are no fungal infections or any other communicable disease present.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was gervais's idea for a series condensed into half hour. If he made a series from it he already used his idea for poignancy for the end of the series how would he tick that box now he's already used death? The series could have been quite successful with it padded out to 6 episodes with time to grow to like the characters.

It wasnt a failure but it was flawed. It was a comedy drama because thats what gervais was going for. He was quite desperate for the audience to laugh at derek because of his ineptitude. You had the female health care worker telling you how funny he was followed by him sitting on a bowl of custard apparently being unintentionally hilarious. Its also why gervais has pointed out he has no disability even though he plays the character as if he is learning dis. If you dont know that gervais likes to be able to laugh at peoples flaws\disabilities\outward appearance and thinks it is political correctness that stops comedy being able to do so then you have missed that theme in his comedy. He only says that derek doesnt have a disability so that the audience can laugh at him guilt free but really, derek is learning dis.

I dont really understand the attempt to laugh at derek. I could understand if it was to laugh knowingly at his childlike naivety but to try and make us laugh at him falling in a pond and sitting on custard. Instead of us laughing from a position of sympathy gervais seems to want us to laugh at him in a bit of a nasty way. When i saw a learning dis guy falling in a pond it didnt make me laugh it made me uncomfortable it had been intended to make me point and laugh.

Anyway, i thought it was ok but if people think the humour was entirely innocent just because we had our heart strings tugged by derek in the last you're not analysing the comedy properly.

I tend not to "Analyse" the comedy I watch. If it makes me laugh, it's a good comedy. If it doesn't, then it's not good comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was gervais's idea for a series condensed into half hour. If he made a series from it he already used his idea for poignancy for the end of the series how would he tick that box now he's already used death? The series could have been quite successful with it padded out to 6 episodes with time to grow to like the characters.

It wasnt a failure but it was flawed. It was a comedy drama because thats what gervais was going for. He was quite desperate for the audience to laugh at derek because of his ineptitude. You had the female health care worker telling you how funny he was followed by him sitting on a bowl of custard apparently being unintentionally hilarious. Its also why gervais has pointed out he has no disability even though he plays the character as if he is learning dis. If you dont know that gervais likes to be able to laugh at peoples flaws\disabilities\outward appearance and thinks it is political correctness that stops comedy being able to do so then you have missed that theme in his comedy. He only says that derek doesnt have a disability so that the audience can laugh at him guilt free but really, derek is learning dis.

I dont really understand the attempt to laugh at derek. I could understand if it was to laugh knowingly at his childlike naivety but to try and make us laugh at him falling in a pond and sitting on custard. Instead of us laughing from a position of sympathy gervais seems to want us to laugh at him in a bit of a nasty way. When i saw a learning dis guy falling in a pond it didnt make me laugh it made me uncomfortable it had been intended to make me point and laugh.

Anyway, i thought it was ok but if people think the humour was entirely innocent just because we had our heart strings tugged by derek in the last you're not analysing the comedy properly.

If the humour had been intended to be "nasty" then would we have seen Hannah headbutting the girl in the pub? Far from laughing at the character, the character was treated with the utmost sympathy and in reference to your earlier message, in the few care homes I've worked in staff were not rushed off their feet. One actually bragged that she had very little to do all day and in the two hours that I was there staff spent most of the time smoking in the staff room and only tending to residents when they were buzzed. Their purpose for being there was it was an easy meal ticket. If Ricky Gervais is guilty of anything, he's guilty of perpetuating the myth that all "care" workers care.
    Forum Member
    If the humour had been intended to be "nasty" then would we have seen Hannah headbutting the girl in the pub? Far from laughing at the character, the character was treated with the utmost sympathy and in reference to your earlier message, in the few care homes I've worked in staff were not rushed off their feet. One actually bragged that she had very little to do all day and in the two hours that I was there staff spent most of the time smoking in the staff room and only tending to residents when they were buzzed. Their purpose for being there was it was an easy meal ticket. If Ricky Gervais is guilty of anything, he's guilty of perpetuating the myth that all "care" workers care.

What is it you work as that allowed you to spend two hours in a care home and qualify you to dispel myths about the reasons staff want to work there?
    Forum Member
    I tend not to "Analyse" the comedy I watch. If it makes me laugh, it's a good comedy. If it doesn't, then it's not good comedy.

You do analyse the comedy you watch you're just doing it subconsciously but if you really want i'll rephrase to 'you havent understood the comedy'
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been into an awful lot of care homes over the years in the course of my work.

Some fantastically great and some so nasty I have wanted to cry. And lots in between.

Derek aside, who is not typical of a care worker, the characters and situations were pretty spot on.

There are times of the day when it is a bit busy in a care home (getting up, meals, bedtime)

But if you go into a care home during the day, the residents are just sitting about, watching TV, reading, having visitors, and the carers are just keeping a watchful eye. It is not 24/7 manic

Equally KP's character was spot on, a janitor/handyman who just did his job, made cynical by his environment.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reg, in the space of two hours you have gone from this:
    He was quite desperate for the audience to laugh at derek because of his ineptitude

to this:
    the desperation to try and reduce you to tears left me underwhelmed and feeling quite manipulated

Which one is it?

Personally I didn't feel either of the manipulative tugs you were apparently confused by, but I did enjoy the drama nonetheless. Oh and although it is an old people's home, it isn't necessarily the case that the residents are infirm to the point they can't manage to wash or dress themselves in the morning. The average age was only in the 80s after all.

To your comment that Gervais "plays the character as if he is learning dis." I find the label "is learning dis", as if that is the sum of a person, not a little offensive, and the same goes for having to label someone at all. Years ago, most streets had a resident child or adult (or both, or more) who were a bit different or a bit slower than everyone else. I won't pretend they may not have been more vulnerable to bullying, but they were also more susceptible to being over-protected too...and not just by their immediate family, but by the rest of the community. Generally though, they were just like every one of us, able to go on about their daily lives and they were accepted for who they were without the need for labels, especially one as vague and confusing as "learning disabled." Watching Derek and his very normal life, I feel this resonates with Gervais also...who, gods know, has suffered from a few negative labels himself.

Mind you, I wasn't sure I would be able to see past the gurning, but within 5 minutes I'd stopped seeing Derek's facial expression and just saw Derek. That says a lot to me about Gervais's acting, which, I think, is being underestimated by some on this thread. And, although I have forgotten her name :o I look forward to seeing how Derek's relationship with his girlfriend progresses if/when the series comes to our screens.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just jumping in to say thot it not that great. Carl was funny tho imo. was bit too contrived with the sitting on pudding/falling in teh pond. the old dear dying was well played & did make we well up for some reason. [Ricky bringing his own mother to mind for his part]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Richard Bacon on Radio 5 live I'm guessing.
    MoS, again guessing Mail on Sunday, 'write up'.

I won't be watching, unless I stumble across it.
    Just thought I'd see how irate people can get about Gervais, because other people are into him and sing his praises.
    Found the Pilkington show a bit too much like bullying for me, comedy persona or not, felt like mocking the afflicted for me.

I haven't read all the thread yet, though I did watch Derek and I do like RG.

But I have to agree with about Pilkington can't watch any of that...it actually really gets to me to the point of annoyance. But I think there's another RG Show coming soon on C4 so someone must like it.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of shit. Rickey Gervais should be ashamed and Karl Pilkington is an idiot taking that role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    What a load of shit. Rickey Gervais should be ashamed and Karl Pilkington is an idiot taking that role.

Any explanation or are you just gonna hate?
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't seen any trailers for it or even read what it was about,but I gave it a look anyway.I got as far as the first commercial break and gave up on it.I just didn't know whether it was supposed to be a parody or a protest,but I found it embarrassingly unfunny.

Definitely the worst thing I've ever seen Ricky Gervais involved in.
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this little drama. I don't think it poked fun at Derek's character at all. It was gentle, touching and had a few gently humourous touches - I smiled at the bit where he touched Joan's 'fluffy hair'. It wasn't crude of offensive - I wasn't going to bother watching it , but I'm glad I did.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colgirl wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this little drama. I don't think it poked fun at Derek's character at all. It was gentle, touching and had a few gently humourous touches - I smiled at the bit where he touched Joan's 'fluffy hair'. It wasn't crude of offensive - I wasn't going to bother watching it , but I'm glad I did.

These are my feelings exactly.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it too, has anyone seen Gervais tweeting his own quotes though? up his arse much?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Lysandar wrote: »
    I would feel rather foolish to be taken in by such humourless drivel.

you sound entirely joyless as it is. You can't even suspend disbelief enough to consider a slight contravention of H&S when watching a TV show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    odz1 wrote: »

It's spelt Ricky mate.

Would be interesting to know how your head works if you think he should be ashamed of creating something quite touching and sentimental, but then you've hardly articulating doesn't seem to be your strong point!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I liked it too, has anyone seen Gervais tweeting his own quotes though? up his arse much?

It isn't, there is a Twitter page about Derek and he was merely promoted it. Plus the show was successful why is no one allowed to take any pride in their work anyone who thinks their own work is good is automatically labelled as up their own arse.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't, there is a Twitter page about Derek and he was merely promoted it. Plus the show was successful why is no one allowed to take any pride in their work anyone who thinks their own work is good is automatically labelled as up their own arse.

Is that what he is doing? Oh I see.
    I do wish him all the best and am by no means a hater, but tweeting your own quotes, is really knobish!
    https://twitter.com/#!/rickygervais/status/191523236452904960
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing. I found the use of peoples emotions quite cynical on the part of the writers. You see with office the use of emotion seemed genuine and fitted in with the script. Perhaps it was because when you try and fit so much in to 30 minutes when you crow-bar emotion in it comes off as forced. I'm sure gervais has used that piano music before and featuring it is almost approaching cliche status when it has been so widely employed to elicit emotion from the audience after shane meadows used it to great effect in this is england.

I could see why people found it so emotional but the desperation to try and reduce you to tears left me underwhelmed and feeling quite manipulated.

What a load of pompus rubbish, this is fiction, its not about the old folks home its about characters. Are we all so self centered that we cannot think outside of the box? but instead, get bogged down with being anal...I pity you for not being able to enjoy this, it brought me to tears, im a cynical tough 51 yo man, so please appreciate this for what it is. I am no RG fan but this was well pased and observed if not painfully accurate about a care home..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Didn't like the sitting in custard and falling into the pond but enjoyed the rest of it.

I don't think there is enough in it for a series, let it alone as a one off and I'll give it a thumbs up.
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the way to do it. The "analyser" shouldn't be too strong at all. Just sit back and enjoy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I've just finished watching it and I would like to see more of Derek. I found the character quite loveable and I do like Kerry Godliman.