What was the problem with Nicole's mic?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
Forum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpTvsV5KTA4&list=PLLJQHjmJHb1oDcbB4st-zBW3FkAdpYa4u&index=5

We could hear her singing when she walked out, but she didn't look like she was putting much into it at all. Did she think we couldn't hear her?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Perhaps she wasn't getting playback in her in ear monitors, so she thought the microphone wasn't working.

Having listened to it a second time, she doesn't have much in the way of reverb or effects on the mic she enters with.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Bit of a weird one, seemed to be working, but a bit of drama with her at the centre of attention never goes amiss I guess.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does sound like there is something wrong with her mic. It's hard to hear her at the beginning, she asks the judges if its working and they obviously say its not, so it must not have been working in the studio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hilarious.... she was saying "i'm not missing my moment in the spotlight for nobody... jahmene, come over here and give me that microphone...."

best part was "here, you can have the bad one" ... but then she quickly corrected herself and didn't hand it to him

Best duet moment since Alexandra/Beyonce, although for different reasons, haha
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ablahh wrote: »
    Hilarious.... she was saying "i'm not missing my moment in the spotlight for nobody... jahmene, come over here and give me that microphone...."

best part was "here, you can have the bad one" ... but then she quickly corrected herself and didn't hand it to him

Don't be so ridiculous. She asked people if it was working, and they said it wasn't. So they shared the mic and sang the bits they were going to sing just passing the mic to each other. If anything, it made the duet so much more intimate.

I think that was the best duet of all time on X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be so ridiculous. She asked people if it was working, and they said it wasn't. So they shared the mic and sang the bits they were going to sing just passing the mic to each other. If anything, it made the duet so much more intimate.

I think that was the best duet of all time on X Factor.

I'm specifically commenting on about 5 seconds of that performance where clearly Nicole's ego came out and she wasn't going to miss out on the limelight... she grabbed the microphone in the middle of his line and almost handed him the bad microphone, not sure what part of my description was ridiculous!

I'm not blaming her, I'm just saying it was very funny.... and then after it was over, she looked like she was about to kill someone. hah
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm specifically commenting on about 5 seconds of that performance where clearly Nicole's ego came out and she wasn't going to miss out on the limelight... she grabbed the microphone in the middle of his line and almost handed him the bad microphone, not sure what part of my description was ridiculous!

I'm not blaming her, I'm just saying it was very funny.... and then after it was over, she looked like she was about to kill someone. hah

It was the best moment on the X Factor EVER:D She did try to hand the bad mic over to Jahmene. Absolutely hilarious!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    It was the best moment on the X Factor EVER:D She did try to hand the bad mic over to Jahmene. Absolutely hilarious!

I think that was her natural instinct after the Pussycat Dolls, if it happened with them she would probably swap her mic with one of the others as Nicole was the only one who ever did any lead singing.. the rest were like backing singers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I think that was her natural instinct after the Pussycat Dolls, if it happened with them she would probably swap her mic with one of the others as Nicole was the only one who ever did any lead singing.. the rest were like backing singers.

nice that she thought Jahmene was her backing singer :D

It was his moment, not hers! If it was someone of greater stature, she would have never pulled that kind of trick. Even if it was someone of an only slightly greater stature than Jahmene.. like Tulisa for example.. Imagine if judges were duetting for whatever reason and Nicole's microphone wasn't working.. she'd just call Tulisa over and grab her microphone in the middle of her singing?! would never happen, haha.. but that'd be TV gold, too!! Tulisa would pull Nicole's hair out!!

There's plenty of ways she could've handled it with more class ... but instead, she was just like, "honey bubooo, you might be shamazeballs, but I've been waiting a year to redeem myself on stage and I ain't missing this note, gimme that microphone!!"

They did share the microphone very nicely the rest of the way etc. etc. but at that moment Miss Diva came out to play and looked about to murder everyone on and behind that stage.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was strange, the mic was clearly on, but it was a little quiet. perhaps she couldn't hear her own vocals through her earpiece with that mic. her vocals largely improved the moment she took jahmene`s mic.:D whatever her intentions, she does make tv gold.:D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me she couldn't hear her own mic through her ear monitors, so she just assumed the audience couldn't either.

I think Jahmene did a great job considering what happened and deserves to win!
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the mic was on, but to a lower volume than Jahmene's. Maybe the producers wanted the focus to be on Jahmene and that Nicole's powerful vocals could drown out Jaheme but Nicole wouldn't want to be sidelined.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I think the mic was on, but to a lower volume than Jahmene's. Maybe the producers wanted the focus to be on Jahmene and that Nicole's powerful vocals could drown out Jaheme but Nicole wouldn't want to be sidelined.:)[/QUOTE]

That's very believable. Ashley (runner up in I'm a Celebrity), who was in the Pussycat Dolls with Nicole, said that only Nicole was allowed to talk when they were being interviewed. Old habits die hard I suppose.:D
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

We could hear her singing when she walked out, but she didn't look like she was putting much into it at all. Did she think we couldn't hear her?

Not 100%, but when she first walked out, it sounded to me as though she was being picked by by studio mics, rather than the hand-held mic. Maybe they realised too late that it wasn't working so temporarily bumped out the studio mics and took the feed from there until she was able to share the mic.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you listen @ 1:03 you can hear a screeching sound and I think the microphone amped out or something.
  • plankenheimerplankenheimer Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Her mic wasn't working at all in the arena . Obviously tv picked up some sound . It was still great though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dermont announced that the microphone wasn't working. If you watched the xtra factor Gary said he didin't hear Nicole singing either!
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    It was certainly very 'diva' when she grabbed his mic before he'd finished the line then unthinkingly tried to hand him hers. But I think it's understandable in that moment, as a determined professional panicking that its going tits up, she's thinking "shit, it's my line, gimme the mic!", and unconsciously goes to 'swap'.

Jahmane looked shocked and confused but recovered brilliantly, knowing instinctively how to then share the mic. It made the duet more powerful and intimate. My fave of the duets, easily.
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the tv picked up the mic attached to her dress that she wears when she judges because it was very quiet
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher would have been in the final 2 if this 'incident' hadn't happened.
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was all a bit diva-esque. "I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shad ..." *ooookay* - just adds to the comedy moment. They recovered well though.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's such carcrash tv :D
    From the elimination of Rachel Crow to this.

There was nothing wrong with her mike, I could hear her just fine.
  • DATMANDATMAN Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very easy to criticise Nicole but although we could hear her singing on TV it was clear that nobody in the audience, including Jahmene, could hear her. (He remarked on the Extra Factor later how difficult it had been).

I know from experience of appearing on live TV and radio that it's hard enough to do without trying to cope when things go wrong. I thought they did a very good job of recovering from a difficult situation and although Nicole has vast experience Jahmene does not and I thought he coped exceptionally well.

Let's hope they get things sorted and nothing goes wrong tonight during the final.
  • FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    She's such carcrash tv :D
    From the elimination of Rachel Crow to this.

There was nothing wrong with her mike, I could hear her just fine.

I think she couldn't hear herself, but if you could hear, that should have been alright then ...

Nicole was livid, Jahmane went with the flow showing he's good to go on live tv when stuff goes wrong. And Nicole was great! :)
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow really cannot believe some of the cynical and unsympathetic attitude of some of these posters. What Nicole did on that stage was both very brave and extremely professional. She handled herself and the situation with grace and showed what a real superstar is all about. Most ‘so-called’ popstars would have panicked and crumbled in that situation but for me she just won a whole load of fans after that. And for the idiots saying they could hear her fine on TV, it was obvious the audience could not (Gary said so himself).