Callback Issues from Multiroom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    well here's a classic one for you, sky are trying to blame for a faulty modem in a replacement box that was upgraded as an appology for poor service!
    mind you that was the 6th sky+ box fitted in 2 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    hI Multiroom enquiry.........My Dad purchased Sky +and multiroom but didnt requre the second box but made it cheaper to purchase sky+(2nd box connected to phone line but not tv)However I have multiroom and have aquired a 3rd box but aghh no viewing card. If i brought the box and view card from my fathers house which he doesnt use but has a box and matched card and connected the acquired box without acard and attached to phone line at fathers house would this be detected by the phone contact and would this mean I could access the card and box content that my father pays for but doesnt get...if I used that from my fathers matched box and card from my house ..Also is this legal
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOODSY1 wrote: »
    hI Multiroom enquiry.........My Dad purchased Sky +and multiroom but didnt requre the second box but made it cheaper to purchase sky+(2nd box connected to phone line but not tv)However I have multiroom and have aquired a 3rd box but aghh no viewing card. If i brought the box and view card from my fathers house which he doesnt use but has a box and matched card and connected the acquired box without acard and attached to phone line at fathers house would this be detected by the phone contact and would this mean I could access the card and box content that my father pays for but doesnt get...if I used that from my fathers matched box and card from my house ..Also is this legal

All boxes on a multiroom sub must be attached to the same landline, so unless you have a very long extension telephone cable then no,. Besides which it is fraud according to the terms and conditions your father signed/agreed to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I have had the same problem when changing to Virgin telephone service, letter after letter... call after call.... regardless who's fault it is, the level of excuses, engineers visits and downright SKY incompitence is astounding.. engineers have ALREADY 3 TIMES, confirmed its an exchange problem with Virgin, after splicing wires and doing all their technical doobies... I AM STILL GETTING LETTERS!

I have now told them, unless I get the CLI exemption, which was promised to me 3 months ago (what a suprise it never happened) I will cancel... now suprisingly they have an engineer coming tomorrow.... and they have agreed to pay for all my wasted phone calls to their sky incompetence centre.

Yes, I am mad!
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    easy1355 wrote: »
    I have had the same problem when changing to Virgin telephone service, letter after letter... call after call.... regardless who's fault it is, the level of excuses, engineers visits and downright SKY incompitence is astounding.. engineers have ALREADY 3 TIMES, confirmed its an exchange problem with Virgin, after splicing wires and doing all their technical doobies... I AM STILL GETTING LETTERS!
    Of course you are. You are required to have both boxes 'reporting in' to Sky but, because (according to what you and the engineers say) your telephone line is preventing that happening, you are in breach of contract.

Get Virgin to fix the phone line
    , don't moan about Sky.
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I'm not a great fan of Sky, but this clearly is not their doing.

You are failing to comply with your obligations because of failings in an area over which Sky have no control or responsibility, so why condemn them?
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Of course you are. You are required to have both boxes 'reporting in' to Sky but, because (according to what you and the engineers say) your telephone line is preventing that happening, you are in breach of contract.

Get Virgin to fix the phone line
    , don't moan about Sky.

Agreed, it's not Sky's fault your phone line doesn't pass on your telephone number, how could it be?

Why should you be exempt, as there would then be nothing stopping you putting the box into another house!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member

Ditto to what the other people above said until chordiant (skys system) gets a call back the letters will get issued automaticaly there is no way of stopping them.
  • StoooStooo Posts: 4,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody ADSL filters, removed one today and called back both boxes, no worries. Also interactive worked again. Customer has been charged £120 so far. Awful stuff!
  • zestfulmasszestfulmass Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    double filtering also stops callbacks from going through. and some phone sockets have built in filters in them too so if you had your modem into it this would then need another filter making other equipment connected double filtered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if there are any wireless digi senders/receivers (to enable you to transmit your sky programs from one tv to another one, ie in different bedrooms) that do not interfere with wireless broadband.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chivsmum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any wireless digi senders/receivers (to enable you to transmit your sky programs from one tv to another one, ie in different bedrooms) that do not interfere with wireless broadband.

Try opening a new thread in the Sky forum - this thread is so old and on one particular topic that it will take a long time to get an answer here.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I am using the VOIP output from my BT hub to feed all my secondary phone sockets with VoIP dial tone.

To use normal BT dial tone I just have to dial 5 first. Now the problem is that while I can set the $ky box to dial a 5 it seems to need a pause before carrying on with the rest of the O800 number. With the $ky box just using the VoIP dial tone I get a connection error message.

So how do I insert a pause and what can $ky do about it if I can’t seeing that I do have a permanent fixed line?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get the "READ YOUR MAIL FROM SKY!! charges applied after approx 4 months make it a costly error on your part, after all you did agree to T&C"

So its cost you for your Sky box to call back to an 0800 after 4 months?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    If you're in Ireland the above advice applies however, there are a couple of differences.

If your number displays as 'withheld' by default, you need to put in the "force network to Present Caller ID" override prefix as follows:
    On your remote press:

• (Servces)
    • (4)
    • (01)
    • (3)

Make sure your box is set to Tone Dial (TONE)

Enter 142 into the prefix box.

Save new settings.

System should then attempt a callback to sky.

Other problems specific to Ireland:

Customers using Smart Telecom's unbundled broadband and phone packages can experience serious difficulty. Smart Telecom uses an all IP network and their exchanges route calls over a VoIP system. Unfortunately while it sounds great for voice, and can cope with faxes, it mangles 56k modem traffic. Digiboxes often cannot dial out over Smart lines at all.

Similar problems often apply if you have a Cable phone or are using VoIP.

All of the other advice regarding connections in the UK applies in Ireland e.g. if you have DSL, the digibox needs to be connected via a microfilter.

The only difference is that eircom lines use RJ11 connectors like the US/Canada rather than BT connectors as used in the UK. Irish sky boxes are installed with an RJ11 plug, not a BT plug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEW QUESTION: How often does a multiroom box connect to sky? I ask because I had this installed a couple of weeks ago (the cheapest way we could get upgraded to Sky+) and it seems to connect quite a bit. The box that is in the additional room is the old box we had in the living room which we disconnected from the 'phone line as it used to randomly connect and cost money on our BT bill, something we hope isn't happening now.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    NEW QUESTION: How often does a multiroom box connect to sky? I ask because I had this installed a couple of weeks ago (the cheapest way we could get upgraded to Sky+) and it seems to connect quite a bit. The box that is in the additional room is the old box we had in the living room which we disconnected from the 'phone line as it used to randomly connect and cost money on our BT bill, something we hope isn't happening now.

Sky boxes call a FREE phone number when they dial out automatically!

The only way you could have been billed is by someone using a service that has a chargeable fee, chargeable services inform you on-screen and never connect automatically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Sky boxes call a FREE phone number when they dial out automatically!

The only way you could have been billed is by someone using a service that has a chargeable fee, chargeable services inform you on-screen and never connect automatically.
    Well... this one did. We have never in all the years we've had sky digital used any subscription services on our sky box. There are only two people living in this house. We would be watching normal TV, and notice the 'online' light on the box on, then find a premium rate number was dialled.

While I understand that the Multiroom dials a freephone number as its checks, as the box I'm using in the additional room is the one that we've always had - and therefore the one that did randomly dial - hopefully you can see my concerns.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well... this one did. We have never in all the years we've had sky digital used any subscription services on our sky box. There are only two people living in this house. We would be watching normal TV, and notice the 'online' light on the box on, then find a premium rate number was dialled.

While I understand that the Multiroom dials a freephone number as its checks, as the box I'm using in the additional room is the one that we've always had - and therefore the one that did randomly dial - hopefully you can see my concerns.

We've had muti-room (and phone connected) for well over 9 years and never had a single item on our phone bill that was due to the Sky boxes auto dialing.

Your box sound like it has a fault and I'd have contacted Sky ages ago to have it fixed if it was dialing a chargeable number without me requesting it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member

of course you werent using say Sky news POLL which would phone up a number ? or voting in X factor?

or playing a game?

why dont you simply get premium rate numbers stopped at BT, by phoning up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member

the old old ones used to pre-dial 123 , which phoned the speaking clock if it went faulty
  • blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEW QUESTION: How often does a multiroom box connect to sky?
    I would also like to know the answer to this question.

My boxes are connected to the same VOIP line. They can both call home successfully (proven by doing a "New Installation"), however they have not been seen to call home automatically over night. I am worried something is wrong and, obviously, if Sky are writing to me at "my UK address" I am not going to know about it until my bills suddenly go up.

Can anyone who sees the callbacks on their phone bill advise how often it happens please?
  • christopherwchristopherw Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Indeed, I'm also curious to find out more about the regularity of callbacks (particularly considering I'm thinking about getting my own Sky install and using my VoIP line for the boxes for simplicity's sake)
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Can anyone who sees the callbacks on their phone bill advise how often it happens please?
    It's very unlikely that 'calls home' will be shown on bills - they're Freephone calls and calls providers are prohibited (because of 0800 1111 - Childline) from itemising such calls on bills.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I didn't actually see the reply, given I changed my email adress, so this reply is a little late. However, shortly after my last post, many were annoyed that I would even request a CLI exemption, due to Sky or Virgin's line problems. BUT, I got my CLI exemption, (admittedly after 3 more engineer visits) and I have had no more problems, or letters since, and was given 1 month free (after I threatened to leave) due their stupid, out of date, annoying call back requirement.