Imagine : Ian Rankin : BBC1

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I found this quite interesting.

Much of this was the video diary that Ian Rankin kept for six months during the writing of his latest book.
After 27 or whatever number of books, he has a set routine for each one.
He keeps a file of news clippings and his notes of ideas as they come to him throughout the year and then gets down to writing in January.
What amazed me, as a crime writer was his honesty, in that he said he starts off with a few characters and a crime, but he has no idea "who dunnit" until near the end of the story, "as the book... sort of writes itself." This obviously required a few re-writes when the guilty party is decided.

It takes him about six months from start to finish.
He said he had no idea who was the principal character in the book until he was well into it when he decided it would be Rebus coming back as a civilian helping to investigate "cold cases."

I can't remember the exact words, but he keeps in mind something another writer said which effectively meant a finished book is; "a pale shadow of an original idea."

Between some of his video diary pages, he was asked a few questions by some scruffily dressed bald headed bloke with a beard.
With so many books out there there must only be a few authors who actually make "big money."

I read the other day, that over 30% of books published in the USA are self-financed by the authors. So somebody must be making money out of them, but not necessarily the writers.

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iris Murdoch was the author whose quote is stuck on his wall: "Every book is the wreck of a perfect idea".
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always found it odd that Rebus has never been adapted satisfactorily for TV. Perhaps BBC Scotland could give it a try with the new book.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Ken Stoot was pretty good as Rebus - a lot better than Steven Tompkinson as DCI Banks.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised that an author of his standing submits to his work being critiqued, edited and re-written on the whim of some Literary Editor lackey in that there London place.

After writing 20 + novels surely Rankin knows what the public wants ?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised that an author of his standing submits to his work being critiqued, edited and re-written on the whim of some Literary Editor lackey in that there London place.

After writing 20 + novels surely Rankin knows what the public wants ?

As he said, although she no longer works for his publisher yet still critiques his books, maybe there's always been a "bit of her" in his books?