SONY KDL-32W5810 Update

neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
Forum Member
When I switched on my SONY KDL-32W5810 Freesat TV the other day, it wanted to do an over the air update. It has updated the firmware to 1.740SA. Here I was hoping the update would be for ITV Player, but no...

I can't seen to find any changes since the update and the SONY website is not giving out any meaningful information about the update.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what the update has been for?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,437
    Forum Member
    When I switched on my SONY KDL-32W5810 Freesat TV the other day, it wanted to do an over the air update. It has updated the firmware to 1.740SA. Here I was hoping the update would be for ITV Player, but no...

I can't seen to find any changes since the update and the SONY website is not giving out any meaningful information about the update.

It's to prevent the repeated requirement for the previous update to be done again and again - intermittently they would lose red button services, requiring the previous update to be done again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Well this update fixed a problem where the red button mutliscreen was not working. I had previously read that this would require an new board to be fitted, so I'm happy that this is not required.
    Forum Member
    Hoppot wrote: »
    Well this update fixed a problem where the red button mutliscreen was not working. I had previously read that this would require an new board to be fitted, so I'm happy that this is not required.

I don't know where you read that?, simply updating to the previous version of software made the red button work again immediately, but then after a few months it would lose it again.
  • neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Hoppot wrote: »

Thanks for that, maybe it has cured the problem with the Red Button on Freesat, but they are needing to send an update to solve the problem with the Red Button on Freeview, I've had it quite often that you press the Red Button on either BBC One or BBC Two and the Red Button fails to load, I usually end up having to go to BBC News to get it to work. I also hate the fact that you can be in the Red Button and press the middle button to go into a news story and it will sit there saying Loading and then stops saying loading and you either have to press the Red Button to go back to the main menu on the Red Button or you have to change channels and then try and get the Red Button to load again.
    Forum Member

I have a similar problem. My Sony KDL-32W5810 now only has Freeview BBC red button functionality on BBC 1. Freesat red button works OK on all BBC channels. This seems to have followed the final digital switchover of the Waltham transmitter (31/8/11), rather than the firmware upgrade to 1.740SA. Is it worth reporting to Sony?
    Forum Member
    I have a similar problem. My Sony KDL-32W5810 now only has Freeview BBC red button functionality on BBC 1. Freesat red button works OK on all BBC channels. This seems to have followed the final digital switchover of the Waltham transmitter (31/8/11), rather than the firmware upgrade to 1.740SA. Is it worth reporting to Sony?

Perhaps?, but you might report it to the BBC as well - haven't they cut red button services on Freeview due to the reduction in the number of multiplexes? (squeezing three down to two).
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps?, but you might report it to the BBC as well - haven't they cut red button services on Freeview due to the reduction in the number of multiplexes? (squeezing three down to two).
    They have (cut a couple of video streams), but that happened everywhere at once. It's more likely just the post-DSO changes that have done it for that box. Try a factory reset maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I'm having the same issue.

Contacted Freesat who advised to retune (had already done so), and then to contact Sony. Currently awaiting their reply, with it having been escalated to their tier 2 and will post back when I hear from them, however I wondered whether anyone had been able to resolve this issue?
    Forum Member
    rit73 wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue.

Contacted Freesat who advised to retune (had already done so), and then to contact Sony. Currently awaiting their reply, with it having been escalated to their tier 2 and will post back when I hear from them, however I wondered whether anyone had been able to resolve this issue?

What issue? (there's various things mentioned in this thread) - and have you updated to the latest software?.
  • lgb2100lgb2100 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sony TVs wont's be getting ITV player

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/on-demand-tv/check-your-box-or-tv-for-on-demand

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/on-demand-accessibility-for-freesat-models

Visit Poll http://poll.pollcode.com/hzah
    Forum Member
    Ahh yes, good point. I was refering to the issue of the Red Button services for Freesat only showing Freeview services (as posted by Complete_Idiot).
    Firmware is currently at the lastest version, and the problem seems to have started after that update. For example, I cannot get iPlayer, either through Red button or from Channel 901 - it says I'm not connected, despite the TV having an IP address.
    Forum Member
    Ahh yes, good point. I was refering to the issue of the Red Button services for Freesat only showing Freeview services (as posted by Complete_Idiot).
    Firmware is currently at the lastest version, and the problem seems to have started after that update. For example, I cannot get iPlayer, either through Red button or from Channel 901 - it says I'm not connected, despite the TV having an IP address.

Don't you access iPlayer from one of the the TV's menu options? - not via the red button?.
    Forum Member
    Don't you access iPlayer from one of the the TV's menu options? - not via the red button?.

Well not usually, but interested to hear how you access it.

The only methods I'm aware of and have used is either by pressing the Red Button from any BBC channel (allowing a few seconds for it to appear) or direct from Channel 901.
    Forum Member
    Well not usually, but interested to hear how you access it.

The only methods I'm aware of and have used is either by pressing the Red Button from any BBC channel (allowing a few seconds for it to appear) or direct from Channel 901.

I've never had occasion to it on that model - but on all other Sony models you access it from the normal TV menu - with selection options for videos, pictures or sound.

I wasn't aware iPlayer was available via the red button on anything?.

Next time I see one of those sets I'll have a look.
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had occasion to it on that model - but on all other Sony models you access it from the normal TV menu - with selection options for videos, pictures or sound.

I wasn't aware iPlayer was available via the red button on anything?.

Next time I see one of those sets I'll have a look.
    Yes... that's the whole point in iPlayer being available on Freesat... it's available on all* Freeview HD devices, via the red button on a BBC channel or channel 901.

*Except LG ones, who have provided free STBs
    Forum Member
    My KDL-32W5810 has the same problem again starting about 10 days ago (this is the third ‘fault’ in the 18months that I have owned it – the last two have been Freesat Sports multiscreen related and have resulted in the Main Board being replaced on each occasion (do a search on here for Freesat Sports multiscreen and you’ll find the thread)
    Currently the problems show themselves as:
    • the Red button does not function correctly (often will not appear or do anything evene for basic txt capabiltities) and
    • the BBC iplayer does not work; either by red button or on channel 901 (on 901 it states that the TV is not connected to the internet)

I fully checked my TV Network diagnostics and are all OK showing the TV connected with the correct IP address etc and my network is accessible for video playback etc. The router reflects the correct connection and IP and MAC address for the TV.

I initially called Freesat and they confirmed that the iplayer service was functioning normally. I followed this with a call to Sony; they went through the same diagnostics with the TV, router and then we carried out a master reset of the TV. Still the same problems. Their conclusion was that there is a problem with the TV and there is no solution!! They took my details and promised a call back (nothing heard to date).

My TV was from John Lewis so I went through them and the TV went into Peterborough Video Services as their recommended repairer (also a Sony repairer). I cannot fault PVS, however they have not been able to repair it.

PVS state that Sony are aware of the problem – there are a large number of TVs affected. Sony claim it is as a result of a change by the BBC in the way that the iplayer is sent out (although I question this as why does it also effect the general functionality of the red button as well????); it is a software fault for which there is currently no solution and no timescale. It will hopefully be resolved and solved by an over the air update.

I have the TV back and will now do battle with John Lewis over a replacement TV as it is faulty with no repair available!

I am extremely disappointed with the problems I have had with this model. It seems that every time that there is a change by Freesat that the TV cannot cope and requires a hardware or software update. Surely the Software should be updated BEFORE the changes so as to maintain usability of the TV? Why are other manufacturers not affected???

Good luck everyone. I’ll keep you posted.
    Forum Member
    shepheap wrote: »
    My KDL-32W5810 has the same problem again starting about 10 days ago (this is the third ‘fault’ in the 18months that I have owned it – the last two have been Freesat Sports multiscreen related and have resulted in the Main Board being replaced on each occasion

What version is the software in your set?, the very latest version was to prevent repeated failure of the red button service, which was cured by updating the software, but then failed again a while afterwards.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it doesn't start again, as i lost the Sports Multiscreen for months, so thanks for that shepheap (and welcome to DS to :)), ill keep my eye on it, but saying that, it was going a bit funny the other day, and it disappeared from the menu, only had the Autumn Watch, the Watch BBCHD, and some other thing (that i can't remember now) there, so only way i could get to the multi, was by typing in the 3001 number (its since came back now though, and working).
    Forum Member
    Would appreciate letting us know how you get on with John lewis. I'm in exactly the same position, and I'm hoping that if they swap your TV, they'll do so for me as well.
    Forum Member
    Spoke to Sony again yesterday following my original call to them at the end of October, trying to get an update (tel no. 0844 846655). No progress as yet, although now escalated to a different team.
    Still unable to get iPlayer on the TV after the recent change to firmware.
    Comment again from the Sony support rep that I wasn't the only one reporting the problem. If others reading this have the same issue, call them. The more there is the merrier.
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this will help in your case, but I have had no problems with the red button, either on freeview or freesat and I have no problem with bbc iplayer either and I am using the postcode, SW1A0AA.
    Forum Member
    OK - so a call back from Sony. They asked me to check whether I could access the widgets on the TV (I can), which they state means that the TV is connecting to the net and able to get content.
    They then went on to state that the fault lies with the ISP, in my case BT Infinity. They also stated that there are loads of comments from others having the same issue on the BT forums. Only thread I could find was http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BBC-Iplayer-not-watchable-with-BT-INFINITY-warning/td-p/271985/highlight/false/page/3

Out of curiosity, wondering whether those that have the issue also have BT as their ISP, and those not having the issue are on another ISP?
    Forum Member
    Not with BT.

With o2 home broadband access package, as the local exchange has not yet been unbundled yet.
    Forum Member
    Contacted BT Infinity regarding the issue of not being able to get iPlayer on the TV. This was after Sony had stated that the issue was caused by the ISP based on their testing and other user comments.

The reply from BT was;
    "I would like to mention that this a problem with synchronisation between the infinity hub and the Sony Freesat Tv. Therefore, I would request you to contact the relevant Freesat technical support helpdesk."

Needless to say, I've now re-contacted the Freesat team in the hope they can assist here.
    Forum Member
    Response from Freesat :)

Hi

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue. We are in contact with our head office regarding BT Infinity routers and BBC iPlayer on freesat equipment.

We hope to be able to resolve this issue and will get back in touch with you as soon as we have an update for you.

Many Thanks,
    The freesat team