Outlook 2010 not sending emails

I currently run Outlook 2010, I have already set up an email account.

My problem is as follows;

If I open Outlook, and wait till its fully loaded,i.e. its done a full sweep and downloaded any new emails,

if I then try and send ( or even reply back to a new email, the following happens.

I see that the Archives Outbox is bold and has a figure [ 1 ] ( in green ) this stays and stays and stays even if I close Outlook down even if I reboot, it is still there.

If I try and send another one the same thing happens except the figure now changes to [ 2 ]

That was tried at 10:50 yesterday morning and its still there after I booted up this morning

Please help

Regards

Tony

Comments

• Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    The number in bold is the number of unsent emails in the outbox. When you click on "Send" to send an email, does Outlook try and send immediately or does it just pile up emails in the outbox until you click on Send/Rec?

I presume you are clicking "Send/Rec" after composing a message? If so, what are the error messages being displayed when Outlook attempts the send?
  • scubatonyscubatony Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    The number in bold is the number of unsent emails in the outbox. When you click on "Send" to send an email, does Outlook try and send immediately or does it just pile up emails in the outbox until you click on Send/Rec?

I presume you are clicking "Send/Rec" after composing a message? If so, what are the error messages being displayed when Outlook attempts the send?

Please read the last line of my thread

"That was tried at 10:50 yesterday morning and its still there after I booted up this morning"

Yes to your second paragraph ! ! ! ! !
    Forum Member
    I'm still on Outlook Express so I'm not familiar with later versions, but there may be an option to "Send immediately". When you click on "Send" after composing an email, if "Send immediately" is clicked Outlook should not wait to contact the server.

From what you've described it looks like the composed emails are going into the outbox and waiting for you to click "Send/Recv". Are you doing that, and if so what is the error message which indicates the messages are not being sent?

OK, I read that messages are going into "Archives Outbox". Is this a copy of messages successfully sent? Is this a folder you've created yourself? Is there a copy of messages in the Sent Items?
    Forum Member
    I will address your point as raised;

"When you click on "Send" after composing an email, if "Send immediately" is clicked Outlook should not wait to contact the server."

When I compose an email I go to the top left of the new email and click the word send

click "Send/Recv". Are you doing that,

Don't need to, as seen in my reply above.

and if so what is the error message which indicates the messages are not being sent?

None, the email just sits there

Is this a copy of messages successfully sent?

No this is a new message wait to leave my machine.

Is this a folder you've created yourself?

No this created by Outlook 2010

Is there a copy of messages in the Sent Items?

No, because it has no gone yet
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click Send/Rcv and see what happens. If you've somehow configured Outlook to not send immediately then messages could just sit there waiting for you to tell it to send them.

If you click Send/Rcv then that should force it to try and send them and if there is any problem with the account set up you should get an error message.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

no I looked at that.

I can get incoming but not outgoing
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it ever worked? Have you changed anything?
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scubatony wrote: »
    I see that the Archives Outbox is bold and has a figure [ 1 ] ( in green ) this stays and stays and stays even if I close Outlook down even if I reboot, it is still there.

If I try and send another one the same thing happens except the figure now changes to [ 2 ]

Nobody seems to have noticed your reference to the Archives folder. If that is the regular Outlook archive there is something odd here.

The main set of folders should include Outbox and Sent. A new email goes first in Outbox (usually momentarily) and is transferred to Sent once it has gone to the server. I have never had an Outbox in the Archive folder and cannot see why you would send an email from there.
    Forum Member
    "When you click on "Send" after composing an email, if "Send immediately" is clicked Outlook should not wait to contact the server."

When I compose an email I go to the top left of the new email and click the word send

Well, tell us what happens when you click "Send". Is there a message saying "Connecting to server", or does anything else happen except for the "Archive Outbox" count increasing by one? If nothing happens then it is not making an attempt to connect and your email will never be sent.
    click "Send/Recv". Are you doing that,

Don't need to, as seen in my reply above.
    Yes you do if Outlook is not set up to send immediately or you are in offline mode.
    and if so what is the error message which indicates the messages are not being sent?

None, the email just sits there
    Well it will do if you think you don't need to click "Send/Rec".

I can get incoming but not outgoing

Is this a new email account? Has it worked (sending AND receiving) previously as per Stig's question?
    misar wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have noticed your reference to the Archives folder. If that is the regular Outlook archive there is something odd here.

The main set of folders should include Outbox and Sent. A new email goes first in Outbox (usually momentarily) and is transferred to Sent once it has gone to the server. I have never had an Outbox in the Archive folder and cannot see why you would send an email from there.

It was mentioned in my second post. But I agree there is something odd. I don't remember Outlook ever creating an archive folder automatically under normal working conditions so do wonder why that has been created. As you say if working offline or not sending immediately, it should go to the Outbox and wait there until connection with the server is requested and established. Then goes to Sent folder.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is your actual email provider? Is it your ISP or a free one like Gmail, etc.? Perhaps they have a problem which is why Outlook can't send emails or perhaps they made some changes which mean you need to update your account settings.

As others have asked, what messages appear when you click the send/receive button? If you click on send/receive on the ribbon and then 'show progress', you can see whether everything worked OK or, if not, what the errors were.
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »
    Who is your actual email provider? Is it your ISP or a free one like Gmail, etc.? Perhaps they have a problem which is why Outlook can't send emails or perhaps they made some changes which mean you need to update your account settings.

As others have asked, what messages appear when you click the send/receive button? If you click on send/receive on the ribbon and then 'show progress', you can see whether everything worked OK or, if not, what the errors were.

The email provider is a Company called Wavenet and its a free service.

The thing is I just can not delete this account because there is so much going on withis email account.

All the recruitment Consultants that I deal with who are trying to get me a job have this plus various other factors that I do not wish to go into on an open Forum.

My email incoming works perfectly, before when I clicked send on either the reply or the new email it went immediatley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried "Test Account Settings"? This checks that you can send emails and may give you better feedback about what is going wrong.

To run this do the folllowing from Outlook:
    • Click on the "File" tab and make sure that "Info" is selected
    • Go into "Account Settings"
    • Click on your email address and click "Change..."
    • Click on "Test Account Settings"

It's a while since I had to use this to diagnose email problems, but I think that this should at least give you more info about the point at which your "send" is failing.
    Forum Member
    JPB2 wrote: »
    Have you tried "Test Account Settings"? This checks that you can send emails and may give you better feedback about what is going wrong.

To run this do the folllowing from Outlook:
    • Click on the "File" tab and make sure that "Info" is selected
    • Go into "Account Settings"
    • Click on your email address and click "Change..."
    • Click on "Test Account Settings"

It's a while since I had to use this to diagnose email problems, but I think that this should at least give you more info about the point at which your "send" is failing.

Yes I have done that, on another Forum I showed a sceen grab with the result
    Forum Member
    This next paragraph is too try and help other users so they can what my problems and settings are;

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Account settings >

E-mail tab

Under name Under Type

****@********.co.uk IMAP/SMTP ( send from this account by default)

Data Files

Under name Under location

archive ( has a default tick) C:\Users\User\Documents\Outlook Files\archive.pst

****@********.co.uk C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\****@********.co.uk

( Just a point here if I try to make that default, the "Set as Default" tick is greyed out)

Back to E-mail tab

Now clicked on "Repair account"

Name, E-mail address, password all filled in

Text messaging (SMS ) "not checked"

Manually configure server setting or additional server types "not checked"

If I now click next ( without altering anything)

Ticked established network connection

Next message down Search for ****@********.co.uk server settings

! An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available.

Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection

If I now click next >

Log on to server ( unencrypted)

The result is what is now read on the screen

Problem Connecting to server

Configuring

Configuring e-mail server settings. This might take several minutes:

Ticked established network connection

Search for ****@********.co.uk server settings (unencrypted ) THIS HAS A BIG CROSS

Log on to server (unencrypted) no tick no cross nothing

Next the wording lower down

Verify the settings below. You can make changes if necessary.

E-mail address: ****@********.co.uk

Example: ellen@contoso.com

Connect using: Connect using my local are network (LAN)

Manuall configure server settings ( this is unticked )

I now have the option to push the follow button

< Back

Retry >

Cancel

I am now going to Manuall configure server settings and tick the box and push retry>

===============================================================

I now have a new box come up "Test Account Settings"

Tasks both ticked as successfully completed

I am now going to close this box

I am now presented with

Congratulations!

You have successfully entered all the information required to setup your account.

To close the wizard click Finish.

I click the Finish button which takes me back to the "Account setting" screen.

I click close>

I try and close ( there is now some two or three minutes elapsed) and I ge this message

Microsoft Outlook

There are unsent messages in your Outbox. To send messages Outlook must remain running and connected to your email server. Do you want to exit anyway?

There is now a countdown timer

There are two buttons

Exit Without Sending

Don't Exit

I now look in the archive folder ( Outbox ) and see the same three emails

Friday 10:50

Saturday 18:01

Saturday 18:02

Please help

Regards

Tony
    P.S . . . . . . .This version of Office 2010 was supplied by Microsoft early this year and want support to rectify the problem ! ! ! ! ! ! !

P.P.S . . . . . . .This is only a recent occurence, but I can still get incoming emails
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This next paragraph is too try and help other users so they can what my problems and settings are;

I fear you may be disappointed. Looking back through your posts your best option is probably to find a local expert who can take a look at the PC and sort it out for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I take it that this is your query on the Microsoft website?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlook-2010-not-sending-emails/91f31214-cf27-4fa6-bfc4-767516ee53a2

If so have you followed the suggestion that you should not add the Archive Data file? (From your log of the responses it looks like it is still present)

If you're still having problems then the Microsoft site really should be the best place to get answers.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above, sending mail from the 'Archive' Outbox is not normal.

I would back up the .pst files from Outlook, and then reset your profile.
    Go into Control Panel, Mail, and delete the current profile.
    Start Outlook, and setup the mail account(s) from scratch.
    If need be, import the old mail from the backup .pst files to the correct folders in Outlook.