Do you pay council tax in January/February

Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you pay council tax by direct debit, would i be right in saying that you get two months break every year? Its my first year living in my own house, and this was news to me when somebody mentioned it to me last night...

Comments

• SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Yep, I get 2 months break on my DD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last payment is at the end of January, then start again at end of April.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the arrangement you have. Many people pay in ten instalments, so do indeed get a break in February and March - however I recall the year I began my DDs they didn't start till May, so I paid in February the next year to catch up.

Some councils offer an option to pay over 12 months, meaning a lower payment each month. You need to check what arrangement has been made in your case.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Oh thanks for reminding me:). Mine is a break in February and March
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...I too pay by DD over 10 months...Feb and March are "free"
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to look into this when we get our new bill in March/April and see if it's better paying via DD.
  • RoundRobinRoundRobin Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The breaks are Feb and March normally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I don't pay by direct debit, and I also pay in 10 monthly instalments, I pay my last instalment in January. I wasn't aware that you could pay over 12 months by DD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: I didnt know this....interesting! Its my first year paying council tax...I started in July.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obedia wrote: »
    I don't pay by direct debit, and I also pay in 10 monthly instalments, I pay my last instalment in January. I wasn't aware that you could pay over 12 months by DD.

It might not be the case everywhere.

Often it is a mistake to pay bills in instalments like this if you have the means to pay all in one go, as there will often be some sort of extra charge for monthly payments. However this is not the case with council tax, so the reverse is the case and it is a bit silly to pay all in one go as you can hang on to your money a bit longer without having to pay any extra.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    Yes...I too pay by DD over 10 months...Feb and March are "free"

No they are not. The council has got all your money in advance of the final payment date. That money has been sucked out of your account before it is actually needed.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two free months are February and March.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    This is news to me, unless it's not the same in Scotland. I must check my statements.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check with the council as well. The norm for my area is for the years payment to spread over 10 monthly payments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Thanks Zippy, I will do. :)
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    I had the options of paying over 10 or 12 months when I started here. I took the 12 month option as it makes my life easier since everything else is also on a monthly DD.

I have to say, Direct Debits make life SO much easier!
  • moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milky Joe wrote: »
    :eek: I didnt know this....interesting! Its my first year paying council tax...I started in July.

may not be so good news for you tho, if you start paying later in the year councils usually extend the payments into feb and mar, this happened to me last year when I moved house, sorry
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    This method works for me...

Every month I settle my council tax account by internet banking.

Between April & December I round up my payments to the nearest £10. This usually means that the final January payment is around half the normal payment - always handy at that time of the year.

In February and March I make the usual payments anyway - this has the effect of reducing the monthly (demanded) outlay by around 20%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately February and March for most local authorities.
  • dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I last checked a direct debit was over 12 months.

But I preferred to pay a bit more each month then get 2 months free to pay my road tax.(feb and march here too)

I use the councils automated payment line and pay each month ,always late, by debit card.

Payment is due on the 7th,but as long as you pay by the 17th they dont get upset
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay by direct debit, but my council tax bill is payable in 10 installments.........so I don't pay anything in Feb or March.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Direct Debits are not necessarily over 12 months. DD are taken at the request of the reciever and the amounts can be variable.

Standing Orders are paid at the request of the payer with the reciever having no control over dates or amounts paid.

This is why organisations such as Councils prefer payment by DD so that they can control the dates. They usually take one years payments over 10 months. This way they get the money quicker and there is less admin expense to collect 10 payments instead of 12. The customer also feels they are getting a better deal by having two months "free".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant believe people large amounts of money to the council without checking how much and when it has to be paid.
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's that time of year again :D:cool:
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's that time of year again :D:cool:

And I feel rich, rich, rich!!