Madeleine:The Last Hope ? BBC1 25/4/12

Comments

• SydneyHedgehogSydneyHedgehog Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    That might have been me! I asked a very polite question about responsible parenting and he answered me quite rudely and then blocked me!

Ha! Did you manage to pick up the pieces of your life?

Philip Schofield is a joke anyway.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Amaral believes the movement was approx 3 weeks later in the Megane.Meanwhile he believes that the church in PDL played a large part in the activity.

thats a bit mad though isn't it.

how could this possibly be accomplished? and why?

manhandling the weeks old corpse of a child (their child) around, cool as a cucumber, with up to several accomplices including the church, whilst never being out of the gaze of the media for long, and then maintaining an enormous lie for weeks, months, years, with no-one ever finding out the truth?

its simply not viable.
    Forum Member
    If the Mc Canns put their energy into a campaign about never leaving your children in danger and how to look after small children then I might give a tad more sympathy .As it is all my sympathy goes to Madeleine and her twin siblings .

i do find it hard to see how people can claim sympathy with the children whilst merciless lambasting their parents, years and years after the event. there's no evidence they did anything more than make one terrible mistake.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might have been me! I asked a very polite question about responsible parenting and he answered me quite rudely and then blocked me!

Why are these celebrities so keen to support child neglect? Can anybody name any celebs who have come out and said "leaving 3 children under 4 in an unlocked apartment, night after night while you go out to drink alcohol is irresponsible"?

Really? Well it was after that incident I stopped following him, people are entitled to their opinions and I think it's natural people are going to question what on earth they were thinking? Even now I get annoyed when I think of Gerry McCann saying "it's no different to having dinner in your back garden"

Because all back gardens have roads and swimming pools and take you out of sight of the house!

I dont know why so many celebs are so keen to say "oh everyone's done it" which is wrong in itself. But if the McCanns were unemployed or working in a less respectable job their names would be mud.
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    But they didn't, did they?
    The McCann children at least were in the creche for both the morning and afternoon sessions every day.

The time with the children was the bit between creches.

That is true and even worse after the "abduction" the twins were sent back into the creche when i would imagine most people would want their other children to be close and not out of their sights very strange:confused:.
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are these celebrities so keen to support child neglect? Can anybody name any celebs who have come out and said "leaving 3 children under 4 in an unlocked apartment, night after night while you go out to drink alcohol is irresponsible"?

I would not worry about being blocked by someone like Schofield he is just a ITV paid jumped up little puppet;)( i would say a worse name but i want this thread to stay) the same goes to Lorraine Kelly and Fiona Phillips all ITV puppets who have to tow the party line.
  • chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I remember Lorraine saying at the time of the incident that "all parents have did what they did" Herself included.

The last time they appeared on morning tv Philip Schoefield got very angry on twitter as someone tweeted him a reasonable question about the parents behaviour. Why are people so scared of these two???

One thing that I'm particularly interested in is how This Morning interviewers are advised to treat the McCanns. In one episode, it was intially an unmitigated gushfest (with John Barrowman even likening what they'd done to his own feelings about standing on a chair to get something off a shelf, when looking after a child) and then Fern Britton must have said, "had you ever done anything like this before?"

This is the one time I've really seen Gerry thrown and I'd like to know the real reason why. He couldn't really finish a sentence ("As reported in the press... first night... other nights... other restaurant") and I really want to watch it again, but it's the only one I can't find. In light of this, I'd like to know if Fern was reprimanded and if, subsequently, producers have become even firmer in what they're allowed to say inside or outside the studio.
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's no evidence they did anything more than make one terrible mistake.

But that's like saying: driving whilst drunk, and killing my passenger, was nothing more than one terrible mistake.

Responsible parents NEVER leave babies alone to go drinking. END OF.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's like saying: driving whilst drunk, and killing my passenger, was nothing more than one terrible mistake.

Agreed.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i do find it hard to see how people can claim sympathy with the children whilst merciless lambasting their parents, years and years after the event. there's no evidence they did anything more than make one terrible mistake.

Really ? The children did nothing wrong , why wouldnt I have empathy with them and sympathy for them ? I cant have sympathy on cue and I cant find it for the parents .,Its like saying a man who drove down the wrong side of a motorway while texting on his phone made a terrible mistake and I have to have as much sympathy with him as with a family he plowed into .How daft.
    The Mc Canns made at least four mistakes on four different evenings multiplied by three children ,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chavet wrote: »
    One thing that I'm particularly interested in is how This Morning interviewers are advised to treat the McCanns. In one episode, it was intially an unmitigated gushfest (with John Barrowman even likening what they'd done to his own feelings about standing on a chair to get something off a shelf, when looking after a child) and then Fern Britton must have said, "had you ever done anything like this before?"

This is the one time I've really seen Gerry thrown and I'd like to know the real reason why. He couldn't really finish a sentence ("As reported in the press... first night... other nights... other restaurant") and I really want to watch it again, but it's the only one I can't find. In light of this, I'd like to know if Fern was reprimanded and if, subsequently, producers have become even firmer in what they're allowed to say inside or outside the studio.

There is a restaurant in the village called Chaplins, they do a great meal and a table quiz . It was reported the group were there on at least one night previous
    Forum Member
    How daft

well, i don't think that was necessary. my confusion arises as to the immense distress it would probably cause the children to see or know their parents were 'hate/blame' figureheads. how exactly do you demonstrate your sympathy for them by berating the people they love most in all the world?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    thats a bit mad though isn't it.

how could this possibly be accomplished? and why?

manhandling the weeks old corpse of a child (their child) around, cool as a cucumber, with up to several accomplices including the church, whilst never being out of the gaze of the media for long, and then maintaining an enormous lie for weeks, months, years, with no-one ever finding out the truth?

its simply not viable.

Why on earth not, anything is possible in this case, we only have to look at the pictures a few days later with them beaming from ear to ear posing holding up a t shirt to know that they are , and always have been, cool as cucmbers over this incident. Good marketing ploys, t shirts, visits from the pope, its like some kind of fairy story.Their behaviour has always been on the strange side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a restaurant in the village called Chaplins, they do a great meal and a table quiz . It was reported the group were there on at least one night previous

I think, in this case, he might have been talking about the Millennium, because I can only remember Chaplin's being referred to by others who said the group had been there, or alluded to it, but that was definitely one of the questions that came to my mind - does he look so uncomfortable because he thinks she's going to bring on a surpise guest, like a waiter, and he doesn't know which restaurant it's going to be, or what statements he's made relating to dining arrangements, hence the vagueness?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, i don't think that was necessary. my confusion arises as to the immense distress it would probably cause the children to see or know their parents were 'hate/blame' figureheads. how exactly do you demonstrate your sympathy for them by berating the people they love most in all the world?

Am I in the twins home and saying it to them ,?.I doubt they are on DS . By the time the twins get around to reading DS they may very well feel the same as many now do .
    And just as an aside , why is it my post you keep nit picking on ?
    Forum Member

responsible parents, responsible people, make mistakes every day. happily, most of them don't result in disastrous outcomes. but i don't imagine any of us are immune from doing something (perhaps different but) equally potentially disastrous.
    Forum Member
    Am I in the twins home and saying it to them ,?.I doubt they are on DS . By the time the twins get around to reading DS they may very well feel the same as many now do .

good grief. :(
    And just as an aside , why is it my post you keep nit picking on ?

well, i thought we were having a conversation.

my mistake.

carry on.

:D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    responsible parents, responsible people, make mistakes every day. happily, most of them don't result in disastrous outcomes. but i don't imagine any of us are immune from doing something (perhaps different but) equally potentially disastrous.

When a mistake is made and a child ends up in danger because of it then it must be a police matter and there must be punishment by the law of the country where the incident hppened, neglect that leads to harming of a child carries a sentence of 5 years or so I believe in Portugal.

This is a child that is missing only because of the parents mistake, they have to feel the force of the law surely?
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Responsible parents making a conscious decision repeatedly.

50/50 chance that they would be okay Fingers crossed that it went their way but it did'nt. Resulting in a disastrous consequence.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a mistake is made and a child ends up in danger because of it then it must be a police matter and there must be punishment by the law of the country where the incident hppened, neglect that leads to harming of a child carries a sentence of 5 years or so I believe in Portugal.

This is a child that is missing only because of the parents mistake, they have to feel the force of the law surely?

Whilst they were stupid to leave her they have to live with the consequences every single day not knowing if she is dead or alive or what may have happened to her and we all have our own idea's so it think that is punishment enough .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chavet wrote: »
    I think, in this case, he might have been talking about the Millennium, because I can only remember Chaplin's being referred to by others who said the group had been there, or alluded to it, but that was definitely one of the questions that came to my mind - does he look so uncomfortable because he thinks she's going to bring on a surpise guest, like a waiter, and he doesn't know which restaurant it's going to be, or what statements he's made relating to dining arrangements, hence the vagueness?

Oh right , TY I was unsure about Chaplins but now have some memory about the Millenium being mentioned too .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member

I suppose the decision to prosecute is at the discretion of the Portuguese police and after considering the massive press presence and political interference on the part of the British government, they probably decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. But it is true - it is against the law in Portugal to leave small children alone and maybe this knowledge affected how the group acted in the aftermath of the disappearance and hindered the investigation, e.g. deleted mobile calls, inaccuracies in the timelines given etc., although, this shouldn't have been a factor, it should have been about Madeleine's welfare only
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member

The parents have courted publicity and are doing so again now - and they asked people to donate their hard-earned money. It is inevitable that people will be interested and express their opinions, it is their right, even if such opinions are negative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    But they didn't, did they?
    The McCann children at least were in the creche for both the morning and afternoon sessions every day.

The time with the children was the bit between creches.

Yes I remember reading Gerrys itinerary at the time, cricket in the morning, tennis in the afternoon, tapas in the evening, doesnt quite make for a good "family" holiday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right , TY I was unsure about Chaplins but now have some memory about the Millenium being mentioned too .

To be honest, I can't be sure he didn't mean Chaplin's, as there were so many different accounts of where they were and for how many nights that there could even be another one that I didn't see. It seems to be the case for everything in this - we talked for thirty seconds, we talked for thirty minutes, it was on the bed, it was on top of the shelf, you were watching that football game - it really makes your brain hurt after a while.
This discussion has been closed.